Stafford

Buffalo Fan

I just read an article on Fox about overconfident kids so maybe that's what got me thinking about this guy....

He seems to do really well in spots that aren't too pressure packed. i.e. the hatrick last night in a 10-2 blowout against a rookie goaltender. I think it is time to fish or cut bait with this guy...maybe he should be the guy to move at the trade deadline. Thoughts?

I just read an article on Fox about overconfident kids so maybe that's what got me thinking about this guy....

He seems to do really well in spots that aren't too pressure packed. i.e. the hatrick last night in a 10-2 blowout against a rookie goaltender. I think it is time to fish or cut bait with this guy...maybe he should be the guy to move at the trade deadline. Thoughts?

Miro Satan-syndrome :unsure:

Agreed, trade....considering he has spent alot of time with Vanek & Roy.

It wasn't a blowout when he scored the first goal. Stafford is arguably the most talented player on our team, and if you've seen his interviews you know he's got a good head on his shoulders. Why should we move him?

The majority of Stafford's points have come in the second half of the games played this season. The guy has found his stride, he's hard hitting, and he's a must on the shootout.

If the Sabres were to trade Stafford, they should make sure they get the better end of the deal. I'd rather have Stafford stay in Buffalo. He has a bright future.

Stafford is always only going to be a 40-50 pt guy in my opinion. He's a younger version of Jochen Hecht more or less. So if Darcy can get a return that will be better than that; he should definitely think about a trade.

OMG I hope not.

Trade bait maybe but not just trade, he's got a few more years left here. I could see him get 3 yrs 8 million.

Stafford's on pace for career highs in goals, assists and points, and he has generally been more productive in the second half of the season.

So just to clarify - today we're adding Paille and Stafford to the "get rid of them list" along with Max, Tallinder, Kotalik, Teppo, Spacek, Connolly, Hecht, Paetsch, Peters and Lalime. Did I miss anyone?

Stafford's on pace for career highs in goals, assists and points, and he has generally been more productive in the second half of the season.

So just to clarify - today we're adding Paille and Stafford to the "get rid of them list" along with Max, Tallinder, Kotalik, Teppo, Spacek, Connolly, Hecht, Paetsch, Peters and Lalime. Did I miss anyone?

I think that's it for now. :lol:

A little too early in his career to give up on him.

Bingo. Another young player 100-ish games into his pro career and we're ready to dump him.

I think that's it for now. :lol:

I think I forgot Lydman, Miller and Pominville.

People want to get rid of Spacek, Kotalik, and Connolly?

People want to get rid of Spacek, Kotalik, and Connolly?

Spacek, I would say is 50/50 depending on if they can trade Hank and how they feel the "kids" are progressing. Kotalik and Connolly would depend a lot on their deals. Connolly, I would only take back if he (a) stays healthy for the rest of the season, and (b) is willing to sign a short/cheap contract to prove he is not injury-prone. I would also require that we have another top-two center on the roster. Kotalik, I would only keep if he doesn't expect a raise. Even then, we could likely replace his non-SO skills with someone younger, cheaper and willing to work harder. As for how that would impact our SO performance, how much would it hurt us in a season to go with Stafford, Roy then Pommer, as opposed to Kotalik, Stafford, Roy? It's hard to accurately measure, but I would be willing to bet that it's no more than two points. How much is that worth versus, say, using someone younger/cheaper to fill his third-line spot and taking the extra $2 million per year (assuming he wants a small raise) to upgrade another spot? Another $2 million might be enough to make it possible to get another second-line center (not on its own, obviously, but in addition to any space we might have, it could give just enough.) Having another top-two center could certainly make up more than two points over a season.

Stafford has 26 points in his last 27 games after a horrendous start to the season. In addition to his point totals, I think he has been playing a better overall game over that same stretch of games. Not bad for a 23 year old player in his 2nd full season at the NHL level.

I don't know how anyone can complain about his play over the last two months or so.

Stafford has 26 points in his last 27 games after a horrendous start to the season. In addition to his point totals, I think he has been playing a better overall game over that same stretch of games. Not bad for a 23 year old player in his 2nd full season at the NHL level.

I don't know how anyone can complain about his play over the last two months or so.

Patience is not a virtue around here.

Does it have anything to do with the emergence of a second line center??? Maybe he just needed someone competent at center..Of course once Connoly goes down he is screwed again..

Does it have anything to do with the emergence of a second line center??? Maybe he just needed someone competent at center..Of course once Connoly goes down he is screwed again..

Connolly has only played 8 games (and has six points, but those came in three of his last four) since his return, so I don't think he gets that much credit for Stafford's play, especially going back to December.

OMG I hope not.

Trade bait maybe but not just trade, he's got a few more years left here. I could see him get 3 yrs 8 million.

Stafford 150 games 41 goals 54 assists 95 pts +17 100 PM

Hecht (after 3 seasons) 217 games 48 goals 70 assists 118 points +35 136 PM

While it doesn't hurt that Connolly is back, he was clicking before that. Connolly returned on January 9th and didn't get back to the second line until about January 14th (his third game.) In that time, Stafford has 5 points in 6 games (7 points in 8 games if you count the first two where Connolly was on a lower line.) Before Connolly's return, he had 19 points in 19 games (21 points in 21 games if you don't count the first two where Connolly was on a lower line above.)

I love the exasperated tone in your responses...

We should create some kind of clutch-o-meter. Just from recolection the Sabres don't seem to have too many guys who score in the clutch. SOme credence has to go to shoot-out guys (stafford, Kotalik, etc) but since shootouts are moot in the playoffs, I'd prefer to see more weight go to late game heroics. Last night, Stafford had 1 goal against Roleson (AVERAGE) and 2 in garbage time against a nobody. Statistically, yes, he is on the upswing, but I would think we could get good value for him. You can't always turn your crap into roses. I can see the argument both ways, but I think it's worth talking about.

We should create some kind of clutch-o-meter. Just from recolection the Sabres don't seem to have too many guys who score in the clutch. SOme credence has to go to shoot-out guys (stafford, Kotalik, etc) but since shootouts are moot in the playoffs, I'd prefer to see more weight go to late game heroics. Last night, Stafford had 1 goal against Roleson (AVERAGE) and 2 in garbage time against a nobody. Statistically, yes, he is on the upswing, but I would think we could get good value for him. You can't always turn your crap into roses. I can see the argument both ways, but I think it's worth talking about.

Not too exasperated...well maybe a little. I just find it funny that the day after a blowout win we have threads contemplating dumping two of our younger players, including one who had a hat trick the night before.

I think being stuck in the house is starting to get to me...

Please describe good value. From your explanation, Stafford's goals didn't really count last night? I guess I feel like Wolf. What ridiculous timing for this and you are talking about a young power forward who is getting better. Isn't this what most on here are asking to acquire?

Archived