5 day break for the all star game??

LabattBlue

Bettman continues to be a joke. Do they really need a 5 day break for a game that nobody cares about? MLB where teams play almost non-stop for 6 months "only" has a 3 day all star break.

I was thinking about this too. But look at it from the players' perspective: The season, including the playoffs, can last over 8 months. I'll bet that none of them will be complaining about having a few days to take a breather. I know that sometimes watching the Sabres, ahem Hecht ahem, it seems like they don't really work that hard, or, hell, they make millions a year, they shouldn't get a break! But I assure you that every single one of them works pretty damn hard. I don't really know what a typical work week looks like in the life of a pro hockey player, but maybe someone more knowledgeable can enlighten us?

Also, back to Labatt's original question.... yeah so what are us fans supposed to do all weekend?

are you REALLY comparing a baseball player to a hockey player? baseball gets a three day break because they aren't playing a contact sport, I have no problem with the 5 day break, especially with two of our D men hurting. Any time to recover in hockey is welcomed as far as I'm concerned. Yes I will be bored without a game for 5 days, but I will watch the skills and game, just to get my fix.

are you REALLY comparing a baseball player to a hockey player? baseball gets a three day break because they aren't playing a contact sport, I have no problem with the 5 day break, especially with two of our D men hurting. Any time to recover in hockey is welcomed as far as I'm concerned. Yes I will be bored without a game for 5 days, but I will watch the skills and game, just to get my fix.

A lot of baseball players are out of shape. Baseball can be considered a lazy man's sport. Some of the best players in the game today and in the past have a "keg" and not a "six-pack." A very small amount of endurance is needed in baseball.

A lot of baseball players are out of shape. Baseball can be considered a lazy man's sport. Some of the best players in the game today and in the past have a "keg" and not a "six-pack." A very small amount of endurance is needed in baseball.

It's mainly pitchers that are out of shape, and the extra weight can actually put a little more zip behind the ball. I can't think of too many hitters right now that are legitimately out of shape. Ryan Howard and Prince Fielder come to mind, but Howard is more country strong than anything and Fielder has lost dozens of pounds since becoming a vegetarian.

Don't forget that MLB plays a season that is essentially the same length time-wise as the NHL or NBA but has twice as many games and maybe two off days per month.

but they don't get beat on every day like hockey players... hell the players get way more beat in basketball than baseball. the majority of the time baseball players are barely moving. They are amazing at what they do, I'm not saying they aren't... just saying they don't come close to the beating that hockey players take (even in practice).

but they don't get beat on every day like hockey players... hell the players get way more beat in basketball than baseball. the majority of the time baseball players are barely moving. They are amazing at what they do, I'm not saying they aren't... just saying they don't come close to the beating that hockey players take (even in practice).

There's really no use comparing the two sports. 95% of baseball players would probably never get up from the ice after getting checked by Milan Lucic, and 95% of hockey players wouldn't stand chance at ever making contact with anything Tim Lincecum threw. Different skill sets, two very fun sports to watch.

No one is arguing that baseball is the same as or harder than hockey in terms of contact. I'm just saying let's not act like they are bar league softball players rolling out of bed and jogging around the bases. There are collisions and stress/impact on their bodies, and as I said, twice the games in the same time, barely any days off, and excessive travel. It does have an impact on players' bodies and health, and any days off are a blessing.

It's bad enough that we have the 5-day AS break. We get to follow that up with the equally useless Winter Olympics hockey next.

How is that useless? Because the ratings are very high and higher then nhl regular season and probably even most playoff games? And i'm sure the players don't care about winning gold for their nation? I think you're in the minority when you think the Olympic games are useless. Winning gold is a huge accomplishment. People love it. Players love. Who cares what you believe.

How is that useless? Because the ratings are very high and higher then nhl regular season and probably even most playoff games? And i'm sure the players don't care about winning gold for their nation? I think you're in the minority when you think the Olympic games are useless. Winning gold is a huge accomplishment. People love it. Players love. Who cares what you believe.

Winter Olympics hockey also gave us possibly the greatest moment in American sports history in 1980, so you won't hear any complaining from me.

I was thinking about this too. But look at it from the players' perspective: The season, including the playoffs, can last over 8 months. I'll bet that none of them will be complaining about having a few days to take a breather. I know that sometimes watching the Sabres, ahem Hecht ahem, it seems like they don't really work that hard, or, hell, they make millions a year, they shouldn't get a break! But I assure you that every single one of them works pretty damn hard. I don't really know what a typical work week looks like in the life of a pro hockey player, but maybe someone more knowledgeable can enlighten us?

Also, back to Labatt's original question.... yeah so what are us fans supposed to do all weekend?

Agreed.

The NHL should have all teams playing Friday & Saturday, Friday & Sunday, or Saturday & Sunday every weekend.

Devote a full sched of games on a specific weekday night. Wednesday? or something.

Then all teams get three games in a week max.

Six months of regular season October through March (26 weeks times three games per week = 78 game season)

Playoffs start in April. Games every other night.

No all-star game or break.

Complement the Super Bowl weekend with decent match-ups (All Canadian home & homes, etc...)

Showcase the damn game with all games in HD.

They give them them the two-day union contract break at Christmas.

I'm sure they could fit in a few more 2-day breaks like this at other points in the season (no practices, no team requirements, etc...)

The all-star game and experience can be put on following the Stanley Cup finals co-existing with the league awards and the like. Make it the last big weekend before breaking for the Summer.

Excuse my rant.

Agreed.

The NHL should have all teams playing Friday & Saturday, Friday & Sunday, or Saturday & Sunday every weekend.

Devote a full sched of games on a specific weekday night. Wednesday? or something.

Six months of regular season October through March (26 weeks times three games per week = 78 game season)

Complement the Super Bowl weekend with decent match-ups (All Canadian home & homes, etc...)

I'm sure they could fit in a few more 2-day breaks like this at other points in the season (no practices, no team requirements, etc...)

The all-star game and experience can be put on following the Stanley Cup finals co-existing with the league awards and the like. Make it the last big weekend before breaking for the Summer.

Excuse my rant.

Rant excused, but only because it all made perfect sense. I'm down for an efficient schedule and a new Wednesday night hockey tradition.

Agreed.

Excuse my rant.

Curling >> Ice Hockey

Winter Olympics hockey also gave us possibly the greatest moment in American sports history in 1980, so you won't hear any complaining from me.

Only because amatuers beat the pros. Kids beat men. David versus Goliath. It was an insurmountable mountain. It was political. Can you honestly say the reaction would be the same now if today's American pros beat the Russian pros or more likely the Candians? These guys are thrown together without any real practice time. They are not a team. A hot goal tender is all that is required to win the Olympics. I didn't say I would not watch, I just said that on the scale of the game, it is as equally useless as the ASG.

My opinion would reverse completely if we got the pro's out of the game and returned it to the amateur level.

Bettman is a bad commissioner but you can't just lay everything a little screwed up about the sport at his feet. It's not as if the league was perfect before he arrived, and most things like this have been collectively bargained. Really there is only one extra day that seems unecessary, that being Thursday ... Friday and Monday are travel days. If they had to throw the players association a bone by giving them an extra off day, so be it.

As for the baseball comparison, it's an outdoor sport that is not going to give up prime dates in the middle of July to extra off days that would stretch the season either further into October or back into late March. The NHL has no such issues.

Given the Sabres current road stretch, 5 days off is a good thing for them ... I'm especially glad Miller is NOT going under these circumstances.

Couple of my thoughts.

- Doesn't matter who the commissioner is, or what he does, everyone is still going to think he is a POS and want someone else in office.

-I enjoy the skills competition. Means nothing, but its neat, something kids like. I especially used to enjoy the Goalie Drills when I was little, even though I didn't play Goalie. Its the game I actually find more boring. Except how players try to do rediculous things because they know it doesn't matter and they won't get blown up by some defensemen. Now the NBA skills competition. Now that sucks, especially when the dunk competition features C grade players.

-The Winter Olympics are more badass than summer (though I got really into the Gymnastics, particularly wanted our girls to beat the Commie Chinese 10 year olds) and Hockey is the best part.

-5 Day break seems about right to me. Not to mention some players have to travel from West coast all the way to Montreal. Thats a whole day right there. We all know Miller probably needs it aswell as everyone hurt- Sekera.

Archived