5 day break for the all star game??

LabattBlue

It's hard to imagine something severe enough to keep a player from making the trip, but not severe enough to keep that player out of their team's next game two days later. However, in the very unlikely case that it's true, the league should accept a legitimate medical excuse from a doctor. Something along the lines of "in my medical opinion, making this trip would further aggravate his ______ by ______, which could keep him from playing in the team's first game back." I'll give you that. Basically, if he goes, he'll likely end up missing the game that the league would suspend him for anyway. However, it's still hard to imagine such an injury. It's not like the player would be cramped in coach on the plane; he'd be lounging in business/first class.

Dialysis - okay

Iron lung - okay

Tennis elbow - nope

Again, what bothers me is there doesn't seem to be any effort by the league to determine the severity of the injuries. Not only is the break something like 5+ days for some teams - just long enough for guys to rest up and heal a nagging injury - the travel alone could throw a wrench into his rehab and treatment.

It's also a stupid blanket statement - if you played in the one game before and/or one game afterwards, so you must not be too hurt. Sounds like something I used to hear from my parents if I "played sick" to get out of school - "if you're well enough to such-and-such then you're well enough to go to school."

I just don't see the point to telling a reserve player that he's required to go to a meaningless game and stand around and wave at fans.

Again, what bothers me is there doesn't seem to be any effort by the league to determine the severity of the injuries. Not only is the break something like 5+ days for some teams - just long enough for guys to rest up and heal a nagging injury - the travel alone could throw a wrench into his rehab and treatment.

It's also a stupid blanket statement - if you played in the one game before and/or one game afterwards, so you must not be too hurt. Sounds like something I used to hear from my parents if I "played sick" to get out of school - "if you're well enough to such-and-such then you're well enough to go to school."

I just don't see the point to telling a reserve player that he's required to go to a meaningless game and stand around and wave at fans.

I'll refer U 2 the last line of my sig.

I'll refer U 2 the last line of my sig.

I'd say the "last line of your sig" actually makes my point. If neither of those guys are "beautiful and unique snowflakes" then it doesn't matter whether they show up to sign autographs and wave to the crowd. After all, they aren't unique or special, so who cares if the fans get to see Lidstrom and Datsyuk or Robidas and Marleau?

I'd say the "last line of your sig" actually makes my point. If neither of those guys are "beautiful and unique snowflakes" then it doesn't matter whether they show up to sign autographs and wave to the crowd. After all, they aren't unique or special, so who cares if the fans get to see Lidstrom and Datsyuk or Robidas and Marleau?

They're arrogant IMB. Sure, I'll agree the rule needs to be clarified, like letting you see your wife have your baby et al.

The issue is not being there when you could have.

They're arrogant IMB. Sure, I'll agree the rule needs to be clarified, like letting you see your wife have your baby et al.

The issue is not being there when you could have.

And I'm sure the players are going to say the same thing - why should I disrupt my rehab/treatment schedule so I can travel across the country (in most cases) to sign some autographs and do a couple interviews? And is anyone really going to accuse Lidstrom of not taking his role as an ambassador of the league/sport seriously, given that he's played in what, 10, 12 of these games?

I agree 100% that in the very least the rule needs to be clarified, but I think Gary needs to sit down the with the clubs and the NHLPA to hammer this out. This whole thing sounds like a kneejerk reaction by Bettman when two of the goalies bowed out last year.

And I'm sure the players are going to say the same thing - why should I disrupt my rehab/treatment schedule so I can travel across the country (in most cases) to sign some autographs and do a couple interviews? And is anyone really going to accuse Lidstrom of not taking his role as an ambassador of the league/sport seriously, given that he's played in what, 10, 12 of these games?

I agree 100% that in the very least the rule needs to be clarified, but I think Gary needs to sit down the with the clubs and the NHLPA to hammer this out. This whole thing sounds like a kneejerk reaction by Bettman when two of the goalies bowed out last year.

Because you are not THE game or ABOVE the game, sassy pants. Because the FANS are the game, you are nothing without us and U owe us at least an autograph and an interview. If you don't play in one of OUR games (or at least show up), then U don't get to play one of yours. If U want to penalize your team a game because you couldn't hop on an airplane then so be it.

Because you are not THE game or ABOVE the game, sassy pants. Because the FANS are the game, you are nothing without us and U owe us at least an autograph and an interview. If you don't play in one of OUR games (or at least show up), then U don't get to play one of yours. If U want to penalize your team a game because you couldn't hop on an airplane then so be it.

No disagreement that the players are not above the game. But what do you say to the fans in Columbus who are going to miss out on seeing two of the league's best players play in an actual, meaningful NHL game because the league wanted to make an example out of two guys who didn't go sign autographs and wave to the crowd? That they are not as important as the fans who went to the NHL's midseason exhibition? :unsure:

But please, no matter what - let's not point the finger solely at the players for the league coming up with an arbitrary, excessive punishment for missing the game with an injury. There has got to be a better way to discourage guys from skipping the ASG than punishing the team and the fans.

No disagreement that the players are not above the game. But what do you say to the fans in Columbus who are going to miss out on seeing two of the league's best players play in an actual, meaningful NHL game because the league wanted to make an example out of two guys who didn't go sign autographs and wave to the crowd? That they are not as important as the fans who went to the NHL's midseason exhibition? :unsure:

I don't know, if I were a Blue Jackets' fan, I might be happy that Lidstrom and Datsyuk will not be playing. :nana:

I don't know, if I were a Blue Jackets' fan, I might be happy that Lidstrom and Datsyuk will not be playing. :nana:

Probably true. :thumbsup:

I just think about how people used to go nuts for Sabres tickets for Gretzky's once-in-a-blue-moon visits when he was with the Oilers, and I'd be ticked if I got tickets to see the Wings but was missing out on seeing one of the great defensemen and one of the best two-way forwards in the game...

Archived