5 day break for the all star game??

LabattBlue

That's beyond outrageous... No Humor League...

No kidding. What happens with guys who are legitimately injured? They keep talking about how the Wings will be w/out Lidstrom when the break ends.

Besides, suspending players for a game with pay only hurts their team. If you want to enforce the attendance, hit them hard with a fine.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=264365&lid...s=headlines_nhl

Lidstrom and Datsyuk suspended a game for missing the All-Star festivus.

They ought to suspend everyone in the game who skated their shifts like it was an offseason charity game. Seriously - it was a lot of fun watching guys give half-hearted attempts away from the puck, most skating at no more than 75%.

No kidding. What happens with guys who are legitimately injured? They keep talking about how the Wings will be w/out Lidstrom when the break ends.

It's unlikely that they would have a legitimate injury and not be out for either the game before or the game after the AS break. Even if they are, they can do what Crosby did and just go sign autographs. Personally, I find it pretty bush league that those two chose to skip the AS game. Every team has at least one AS and they all went. It's an honor to be picked and is part of being in the league as a star player. Suck it up and go. If one of our players was selected and chose not to go, I'd be pretty unimpressed.

It's unlikely that they would have a legitimate injury and not be out for either the game before or the game after the AS break. Even if they are, they can do what Crosby did and just go sign autographs. Personally, I find it pretty bush league that those two chose to skip the AS game. Every team has at least one AS and they all went. It's an honor to be picked and is part of being in the league as a star player. Suck it up and go. If one of our players was selected and chose not to go, I'd be pretty unimpressed.

Don't disagree with you. I just think penalizing the team a game for an individual act is outrageous. Detroit lost two man-games to this decision. I presume players have clauses in their contracts for making the AS game. Very, very surprising that folks would skip it.

Don't disagree with you. I just think penalizing the team a game for an individual act is outrageous.

I agree that a big fine would be better.

Funny thing is that they skipped the game to prepare for the playoff push, but I can't imagine that any preparation done this weekend would be better for the team than having those two for the game that they will miss.

They should have gone. Bettman said if they just showed up, they didn't need to play, just show up, they would not have been suspended. Arrogant of the players if U ask me.

Holland and NHLPA filing grievance against the now infamous "Lidstrom/Datsyuk rule"

Some say they may play anyway just to say f the league.

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2009/01/ho...th_li.html#more

I guess I don't see it as a big deal if a player with an actual injury stays home to heal and does his rehab/treatment. Lidstrom's been there, what - 10 times? Yeah, he's just blowing off the league and not being a good ambassador for the sport. Datsyuk's been there twice and left Detroit's final game before the break after his first shift of the third period.

But hey, make 'em go so they can sign autographs. Brilliant.

They should have gone. Bettman said if they just showed up, they didn't need to play, just show up, they would not have been suspended. Arrogant of the players if U ask me.

Holland and NHLPA filing grievance against the now infamous "Lidstrom/Datsyuk rule"

Some say they may play anyway just to say f the league.

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2009/01/ho...th_li.html#more

The whole thing is an exhibition joke. The home team stuffs the ballot box to try to get all of their players in the starting lineup, the games are played at half-speed and there's no defense to speak of.

I guess I don't see it as a big deal if a player with an actual injury stays home to heal and does his rehab/treatment. Lidstrom's been there, what - 10 times? Yeah, he's just blowing off the league and not being a good ambassador for the sport. Datsyuk's been there twice and left Detroit's final game before the break after his first shift of the third period.

But hey, make 'em go so they can sign autographs. Brilliant.

The whole thing is an exhibition joke. The home team stuffs the ballot box to try to get all of their players in the starting lineup, the games are played at half-speed and there's no defense to speak of.

Part of the festivus of the ASG is for the fans to see you, sign autographs, speak at an event, etc. If these guys had no plans of being there their name shouldn't be in the hat. Tons of analogies out there for this one, Mike Phelps trying out for the Olympics and then saying he's not going, for one.

Yeah it is an exhibition joke, but still fun to watch for that crazy pass, great shot. Thomas' save last night was awesome IMO. And to hear Montreal fans applauding it even more far-out.

You have to lower your expectations for a game like this, but you would expect that if YOUR player was on the ballot, got picked, that they would at least go and sign a friggin' autograph. Or does your elbow huwt too much?

Part of the festivus of the ASG is for the fans to see you, sign autographs, speak at an event, etc. If these guys had no plans of being there their name shouldn't be in the hat. Tons of analogies out there for this one, Mike Phelps trying out for the Olympics and then saying he's not going, for one.

Yeah it is an exhibition joke, but still fun to watch for that crazy pass, great shot. Thomas' save last night was awesome IMO. And to hear Montreal fans applauding it even more far-out.

You have to lower your expectations for a game like this, but you would expect that if YOUR player was on the ballot, got picked, that they would at least go and sign a friggin' autograph. Or does your elbow huwt too much?

Unnecessary sarcastic tone aside, great analogy with Michael Phelps. "Tons of analogies our there for this one" and that's the one you pick? Yeah, that one is definitely comparable to this situation... <_<

So your argument is the players who get hurt in the game before the break should still be forced to go? Or they should "take their names out of the hat?" What exactly does that mean? Tell the league in advance "I have no intention of going if I'm picked or voted in, so keep me off the ballot and and tell the coach not to select me?" Sure, that'll work.

The ASG is not an all-star game, it's a representative game where each team has to have someone there. And punishing the teams for having a player who feels is too injured to participate is ridiculous, almost as ridiculous as Keith Tkachuk or Mike Modano being selected as an all-star.

Unnecessary sarcastic tone aside, great analogy with Michael Phelps. "Tons of analogies our there for this one" and that's the one you pick? Yeah, that one is definitely comparable to this situation... <_< You're smart enough to figure one out that works for you.

So your argument is the players who get hurt in the game before the break should still be forced to go? With a concussion, no. With a bo-bo on their elbow, yes. Or they should "take their names out of the hat?" What exactly does that mean? Tell the league in advance "I have no intention of going if I'm picked or voted in, so keep me off the ballot and and tell the coach not to select me?" Sure, that'll work. I mean, if you can GO at least, not talking about actually PLAYING, you should be there. If you want to tell your coach 'don't pick me I'm not going even if I could play' that's just a dis to all the fans that support you

The ASG is not an all-star game, it's a representative game where each team has to have someone there. And punishing the teams for having a player who feels is too injured to participate is ridiculous, almost as ridiculous as Keith Tkachuk or Mike Modano being selected as an all-star.

Hey, Sid was there (and I'm not one to build him up), but he was there, enjoying his thin mints with his buddy. He even let fans see his new skates:

:lol: I'll give you credit for posting Sid's new skates, but nothing else you've posted has swayed me one bit.

So you'll go on record as saying that regardless of the fans, coaches, commissioners, or anyone else; that if a hockey player wants to sit on a beach in CaboWabo instead of going to the ASG he has that right?

Not that there's anything wrong with that, cough cough.

So you'll go on record as saying that regardless of the fans, coaches, commissioners, or anyone else; that if a hockey player wants to sit on a beach in CaboWabo instead of going to the ASG he has that right?

Not that there's anything wrong with that, cough cough.

No, but I'll give you points for jumping to the biggest extreme to try to prove your point.

I'm just saying that the policy seems too vague and broad, especially in light of the other stupid ASG policies.

No, but I'll give you points for jumping to the biggest extreme to try to prove your point.

I'm just saying that the policy seems too vague and broad, especially in light of the other stupid ASG policies.

Brodeur and Luongo got 'penalized' last year, so obviously the players knew about it.

A lower extreme: your favorite actor getting nominated for an award and then not being there to pick it up and letting your fans see you go down the red carpet.

If the All-Star Game is about promoting players and the game why not play the game without helmets? Even better yet, why not play last nights game in old time uniforms using old time equipment?

Or why not make it a "Classic" atmosphere and play it outside?

Brodeur and Luongo got 'penalized' last year, so obviously the players knew about it.

A lower extreme: your favorite actor getting nominated for an award and then not being there to pick it up and letting your fans see you go down the red carpet.

A nice try, but another fanned shot. Most movie awards aren't voted on by the fans, and if one didn't show up, is SAG or the MPAA going to suspend them from their next day of shooting?

And again, it has nothing to do with whether the the players "knew" about it, although this is the first I'm hearing of Brodeur and Luongo getting penalized last year. Everything I've read seems to indicate that this rule came into effect as a result of Luongo and Brodeur missing last year's ASG.

FWIW, Luongo missed the game to be with his pregnant wife who had some minor complications in the pregnancy. Brodeur didn't go into specifics but claimed "family matters" were the reason for him missing the ASG last year.

Or why not make it a "Classic" atmosphere and play it outside?

A nice try, but another fanned shot. Most movie awards aren't voted on by the fans, and if one didn't show up, is SAG or the MPAA going to suspend them from their next day of shooting?

And again, it has nothing to do with whether the the players "knew" about it, although this is the first I'm hearing of Brodeur and Luongo getting penalized last year. Everything I've read seems to indicate that this rule came into effect as a result of Luongo and Brodeur missing last year's ASG.

FWIW, Luongo missed the game to be with his pregnant wife who had some minor complications in the pregnancy. Brodeur didn't go into specifics but claimed "family matters" were the reason for him missing the ASG last year.

The crux of the whole thing is that Bettman is taking the NBA approach in promoting their stars to move the league forward. In Bettman's mind if the stars don't show up to the ASG it's awfully hard to showcase their talents. Is that correct? No. Does this make the NHL look just a little more Mickey Mouse? Yes.

The crux of the whole thing is that Bettman is taking the NBA approach in promoting their stars to move the league forward. In Bettman's mind if the stars don't show up to the ASG it's awfully hard to showcase their talents. Is that correct? No. Does this make the NHL look just a little more Mickey Mouse? Yes.

Agreed. As I've said before in this thread - I don't disagree with the premise of doing almost everything possible to discourage the players who are selected from skipping the game to sit on a beach in Cabo. What I do disagree with is the black-and-white interpretation of "if you want us to believe you were truly injured you better not play in the game before or after the break" which amounts to de facto suspensions with pay, which hurts the franchise and not the players "skipping" the event. I also don't like the idea of "but if you come sign autographs it's OK." There's got to be a better way to encourage participation and a better way to evaluate on a case-by-case basis whether or not a player is legitimately injured.

Maybe it's just me, but if it was a Sabre who was banged up and the franchise decided that four-five days of rest and rehab were a better idea than skating around in a meaningless exhibition, I'd be fine with him pulling out of the game so he's fresher for the stretch run and playoff push.

Maybe it's just me, but if it was a Sabre who was banged up and the franchise decided that four-five days of rest and rehab were a better idea than skating around in a meaningless exhibition, I'd be fine with him pulling out of the game so he's fresher for the stretch run and playoff push.

Taking time to rest and rehab instead of playing is fine, but that's not the issue. The issue is not being there. Sidney Crosby went and signed autographs. The rest of the time, he was likely rehabbing and he was not skating around in a meaningless exhibition. There's nothing that says that the players has to actually take part in the game; it just says that they have to be there. Basically, if your injury isn't severe enough to keep you out of one game before or after the break, then it's probably not serious enough that you can't get on a plane, fly to AS game and sign some autographs.

Taking time to rest and rehab instead of playing is fine, but that's not the issue. The issue is not being there. Sidney Crosby went and signed autographs. The rest of the time, he was likely rehabbing and he was not skating around in a meaningless exhibition. There's nothing that says that the players has to actually take part in the game; it just says that they have to be there. Basically, if your injury isn't severe enough to keep you out of one game before or after the break, then it's probably not serious enough that you can't get on a plain, fly to AS game and sign some autographs.

And therein lies the rub. Says who?

And therein lies the rub. Says who?

It's hard to imagine something severe enough to keep a player from making the trip, but not severe enough to keep that player out of their team's next game two days later. However, in the very unlikely case that it's true, the league should accept a legitimate medical excuse from a doctor. Something along the lines of "in my medical opinion, making this trip would further aggravate his ______ by ______, which could keep him from playing in the team's first game back." I'll give you that. Basically, if he goes, he'll likely end up missing the game that the league would suspend him for anyway. However, it's still hard to imagine such an injury. It's not like the player would be cramped in coach on the plane; he'd be lounging in business/first class.

Archived