Game Day Thread: Sabres @ NJ Devils, November 3, 2008

nfreeman

Well, it's after midnight, and I'm going to the game tonight in NJ, so I think I'll start 'er up!

This will be my first trip to the new arena in Newark. Fortunately, I've already seen the Sabres live this year, as I went to the Rangers game a couple of weeks ago.

I'm very pleased to have Gaustad and Connolly back, and Tallinder too, but I'd rather have Rivet than any of them. OTOH, the Devils will not have Brodeur per AP, and are already missing Rolston, Holik and Greene -- so can't really complain.

Still, this is a real test for the Sabres. Last year's team lost every single GD game like this one.

Also my confidence in Lalime is a bit shaky, so if it's him, I'd like to see a very strong full-team defensive effort.

Sabres, 3-2.

My guess is Miller in NJ and Boston, Lalime in Atlanta. He had a great game against the Thrashers the first time (except the shootout), but the rest of the team didn't play their system.

Either way, I hope that they don't think about Brodeur being out too much. I hate when we make back-ups look great.

My guess is Miller in NJ and Boston, Lalime in Atlanta. He had a great game against the Thrashers the first time (except the shootout), but the rest of the team didn't play their system.

Either way, I hope that they don't think about Brodeur being out too much. I hate when we make back-ups look great.

We do that ALOT!!!

I had a dream last night Vanek had a hat trick in the first period. Problem is, I couldn't remember who the team was we were playing. We'll just assume it was NJ!!!

Is it unhealthy that I'm having dreams of Sabres games???

We do that ALOT!!!

I had a dream last night Vanek had a hat trick in the first period. Problem is, I couldn't remember who the team was we were playing. We'll just assume it was NJ!!!

Is it unhealthy that I'm having dreams of Sabres games???

No, I had a dream that the Bills were on their way to the playoff and then all of a sudden, they dropped 2 games they should of won to divional teams.....

I would like to see the Sabres generate some offense that doesn't include Vanek. Don't get me wrong, I love the start Vanek has had. The Sabres need to be able to create consistent offense throughout the line-up. There will be games where teams concentrate on shutting Vanek down. For a good defensive team like the Devils it will be a priority. It's like in baseball, when a team walks your clean up hitter the guy behind him has to make the opposition pay.

It was nice to see both Roy and Pomminstein get a goal Friday. Let's see if they can keep it up to get us a little more balanced. I, too, am impressed by Vanek's hot start (and hope he keeps going) but eventually teams will focus on him knowing we don't have anyone else who is hot. Anyway, the Sabres generally don't fare well in NJ, but hopefully Miller stays hot. I also like 3-2 Sabres.

I'm not predicting the score. Against Tampa, some people thought the Sabres would destroy the Lightning 5-1. That obviously didn't happen. I hope the Sabres demolish NJ, but I'm not making a prediction. Go Sabres!

Couldn't pick a better time to hit the Devils... Missing some key players.... BUT...

Parise has been hot.. How do I know this? I played against him in Fantasy Hockey last week and he scored 3 goals...

I think even with Weekes in net they will still play their stifling D system. I just hope we play like we did last game and not like the previous before that. We also need to play strong D. I think if we play like we did last game then Lalime will do fine if he plays. However, I think Miller will play tonight since we have the rest of the week to get ready for the next game.

I'd like to ask a favor of those starting the GDT - if the game is on Versus, could the thread starter put that in either the Topic Description or in the first couple lines of the original post? That would be a huge help for those of us without Center Ice. Sometimes I get a rare Monday or Tuesday night off, but since I don't get Center Ice anymore, I don't check the TV listings for Sabres games, because it makes me sad. :(

S@#$! not another Versus game. I get the night off to watch the sabres and I can't even watch it.

On to the game - hopefully the goals from pommers and roy last game can kick start them to support Vanek's hot start in the scoring department. NJ scares me as they are playing pretty solid this year, with Parise having a great season so far and Broduer playing solid as usual. The sabres don't normally play well against trap teams in the past, but maybe if they stick to the "defense first" system maybe they will be able to combat NJ style more effectively.

Rose-colored glasses prediction : Sabres 2-1

Actual prediction : Devils 3-1 (sorry guys)

I'm not going to make a prediction after last weeks mess of guessing two stright blow outs and yet we got owned in both. But i will say this, there is NO reason for us to lose to NJ tonight. If they lose, we will back here saying how big of a let down game it was and now much they struggled in all parts of their game and how flat they played. That's honestly the only way we can lose. Not because Kevin Weekes is in goal, although that helps, but their defense is in dis-order, they are not playing the trap right and are lacking a scorer besides Zach Parise but he's not somebody we can't keep up with. Sekera and Spacek could own him. Besides him, NJD have nobody on offense. They have only 6 PPG. They don't draw too many penalties and when they do, they don't score.

Weekes, historically has been decent against Buffalo, but he is known for bad games vs. the Sabres. Giving up 7, 6 and 5 goals in games. The last three times we saw him, we beat them. Twice in shootout, and once in a blow out. 7-3 i think.

If Sabres play hard, this should be their game.

I case it hasn't been covered, Rivet is playing.

http://www.buffalonews.com/258/story/483053.html

Wow! Talk about grit and high pain tolerance. I have even more respect for Rivet than I did before. This guy is a hockey player. We need more Rivets on this team. I love it!! I just hope he doesn't aggravate the injury by coming back too soon or playing tonight. But, since this is an issue of fluid and swelling, as long there is no swelling and pain, he should be fine in my non-doctor's opinion.

Archived