Game Day Thread: Sabres @ NJ Devils, November 3, 2008

nfreeman

Great shutout win. Boring game. I hate New Jersey!

Poms had a very nice goal. The redirect was sweet too! I still don't know who scored it thanks to VS not showing the graphic of the goal scorer! (Sekera, Kaleta Paille??)

I don't like Doc Emrick either because he is a NJ lover.

The TV I was watching had the sound turned off, and I saw Shaq from NBA fame on one of the interviews. Did anyone catching what he talked about? Just curious as I thought all NBA players only cared about gangsta, hip-hop, posses and rap! What was he doing at a Sabres game of all choices?

Nice back to back shutouts!!

Poms had a very nice goal. The redirect was sweet too! I still don't know who scored it thanks to VS not showing the graphic of the goal scorer! (Sekera, Kaleta Paille??)

The TV I was watching had the sound turned off, and I saw Shaq from NBA fame on one of the interviews. Did anyone catching what he talked about? Just curious as I thought all NBA players only cared about gangsta, hip-hop, posses and rap! What was he doing at a Sabres game of all choices?

It was definitely Kaleta

Shaq said he grew up a Devils fan. Not much else of interest..

Great win and Miller now has back-to-back shutouts. It seemed like the refs really really really wanted to give the Devils a goal some way somehow by giving them all those PP chances. But, the Sabres and Miller were one better. Fantastic win by the Sabres.

If I had to say what was most noticeable about the win tonight was that Buffalo won with the details. They out worked and out hustled the Devils and pretty much won every single battle for the puck at the start of the game. The passing was crisp and precise. Then, towards the second half, the refs got involved and the Sabres did it by being flawless on the PK. They gave NJ no good shots, clogged the passing and shooting lanes, blocked shots, and whenever shots got through, Miller came up with the save and had excellent rebound control. Tonight's win was about effort and team defense.

Credit where credit is due and Kevin Weekes was phenomenal tonight, but the Sabres defense and Miller were just a little better. It seemed like Brodeur was in net with the way Weekes played tonight.

With the way the season is going, it's probably a great thing when we can say that Vanek was the worst player on the ice tonight. I thought overall Vanek was excellent on the backcheck and had some nice scoring opportunities, but he took two very lazy penalties and didn't create as much offense as we're used to, but you kind of expect that against NJ. If the team plays like that every night and Vanek's the worst player tonight, then there's not much to worry about.

Kotalik played a real physical game tonight. I loved the way he played tonight, he came out with passion and intensity. Not a Kotalik I'm used to seeing, but I like this year's version of Kotalik much better than any previous versions, and he got an assist on Pominville's goal on the PP.

As of right now, after Hecht gets back, the only person I can conceivably see getting scratched is Stafford. He's been pretty invisible for much of the year, especially so tonight. I didn't even notice him on the ice.

Great team win tonight.

As of right now, after Hecht gets back, the only person I can conceivably see getting scratched is Stafford. He's been pretty invisible for much of the year, especially so tonight. I didn't even notice him on the ice.

Heck, they could even send Stafford down to Portland (has about 40 games left before he has to clear waivers.) Talk about sending a message. I honestly think that Stafford could have used a full season in Rochester. Put him down with the kids, as good as they are already, and they will probably win the Calder Cup.

Boring? Really? We had 21 scoring chances by the middle of the 2nd period and then NJ came roaring back in the 3rd. That was the best NJD I ever watched!

Boring? Really? We had 21 scoring chances by the middle of the 2nd period and then NJ came roaring back in the 3rd. That was the best NJD I ever watched!

Yeah I agree.. That game was edge of your seat for long stretches of it.

Tallinder looked more physical along the boards tonight. He still gets outmusceled often, but at least he engaged in contact. Could it be Rivet's influence?

Also, MacArthur is a hack. He's going to get stupid penalties all year long if he keeps chipping away with his stick like that.

Side note: did anyone else see Campoli's OT winner for the Islanders? He scored on a one-timer from the slot, but it went through the net. He's celebrating, realizes that they weren't counting it, comes back around and fires another one-timer from the slot to win the game again.

"It looks real hard."

LOL, sadly that was about the extent of it. Of course, it was in response to a brilliant question ... something like "What do you think of what these guys can do at high speeds? Always in motion, it's so much like what you guys do, but it's so different from what you do." :blink:

LOL, sadly that was about the extent of it. Of course, it was in response to a brilliant question ... something like "What do you think of what these guys can do at high speeds? Always in motion, it's so much like what you guys do, but it's so different from what you do." :blink:

I don't know who did the interview but it was college newspaper-esque, and I worked for my college newspaper!

This game was anything but boring. First period, constant Buffalo pressure, second period the transition to the Devils and constant penalty kills in the second half of the period, then edge of your seat right up until the final horn sounded. That was a very exciting game, unbelievable, considering it was New Jersey.

Archived