Bettman

SwampD

I work on a show and see that Gary Bettman is one of the guests today. My first thought was to go up to him and slap him and say,"Look Gare(yeah, I call him Gare)we both know that there was no memo in '99 and that you screwed us. Can you just admit that? Can you just say that you didn't enforce a rule that was good for some 1300 games up to that point in the season, and that you screwed us, well can you?"...{deep breath}

Then I got to thinking, what is the one thing I would ask, or say, if I ran into him in the hallway. I couldn't really think of anything. I like the rule changes the last couple of years. The game is good. My only real complaint is that they don't call interference enough in the playoffs and it handcuffs more offensive minded teams.

Just wondered what some others would ask or say.

How about no touch icing?

The new rule -- the players can only play the puck, not the body, in icing situations -- is a nice compromise. You'll have less dangerous situations and still have the race for the puck. However, we'll see if they are still enforcing it in four months or if it will slip away like most of the interference rules.

How about: are 2-1 or 3-2 games more, less or just as exciting as 4-3 or 5-4 games?

The new rule -- the players can only play the puck, not the body, in icing situations -- is a nice compromise. You'll have less dangerous situations and still have the race for the puck. However, we'll see if they are still enforcing it in four months or if it will slip away like most of the interference rules.

Or any other off-season implemented "rule change", for that matter.

Archived