Buffalo Finalist for World Juniors

X. Benedict

Buffalo Finalist to Host 2011 IIHF World Juniors

Finalists are Buffalo, N.Y., Grand Forks, N.D., and Minneapolis/St. Paul

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - USA Hockey announced today that it has narrowed the list of potential sites to host the 2011 International Ice Hockey Federation World Under-20 Championship to (alphabetical order): Buffalo, N.Y., Grand Forks, N.D., and Minneapolis - Saint Paul.

"The World Under-20 Championship is a spectacular event that we're extremely pleased to be hosting again," said Dave Ogrean, executive director of USA Hockey. "We had interest in this event from more than 20 different entities across the country. We've narrowed the field to three very worthy finalists and look forward to reaching a decision before the end of the year."

The 2011 IIHF World Under-20 Championship (otherwise known as the IIHF World Junior Championship) is a 10-nation tournament featuring the top men's ice hockey players in the world under the age of 20.

"It will be a real treat for sports fans in our country to have the World Junior Championship back in the United States," said Ron DeGregorio, president of USA Hockey. "It's a very special event with an extremely high level of talent."

"The last time we hosted the World Junior Championship back in 2005, fans got to see players like Phil Kessel, Sidney Crosby and Alexander Ovechkin to name just a few," said Jim Johannson, a two-time Olympian who serves as USA Hockey's assistant executive director of hockey operations. "The bottom line for hockey fans is, outside of the Olympics, the World Junior Championship is probably the best international tournament they'll ever get to witness."

The United States has hosted the event four previous times, including in Grand Forks, N.D./Thief River Falls, Minn. (2005); Boston (1996), Anchorage, Alaska (1989) and Minneapolis/St. Paul (1982).

NOTES: The IIHF World Under-20 Championship was founded in 1977 ... USA Hockey will conduct site visits with each of the three finalists in September ... The International Ice Hockey Federation granted USA Hockey the rights to host three IIHF World Championships in May of 2007, including the 2009 IIHF World Men's Under-18 Championship (which will take place April 9-19, 2009, in Fargo, N.D. and Moorhead, Minn.), the 2011 World Under-20 Championship and the 2012 World Women's Championship ... Tony Rossi, vice president of USA Hockey and a member of the IIHF Council, oversees all aspects of international competition for USA Hockey

saw this as well.

very exciting, but perhaps also a long shot?

From everything I read the hockey community has been very pleased with Buffalo's handling of the Frozen Four tournaments, so maybe not as long a shot as it may appear at first?

If Buffalo does get it, I plan on being there - it'd be like the olympics coming to WNY but without the sports no one cares about! :blush:

USA Hockey will conduct site visits with each of the three finalists in September

The group representing Buffalo during this site visit better have their #%^$#! together. They will need to bring their "A" game and then some.

PS Having this tourney come to Buffalo would be awesome and you know the Canadiens would flock across the border in greater numbers than for Leafs games in order to see their team! I hope the selection committee keeps this fact front and center.

Good Luck!

I wish i still had the link to my post, but Pierre McGuire said during the 2008 WJC that he believes from all he heard that Buffalo would be a favorite. I posted it that day. I really think Buffalo may be the favorite to be honest. I think hosting games at Dwyer Arena does hurt them, the place is just small. When he first reported it last winter, he said most games would be at HSBC Arena and other's at Blue Cross Arena in Rochester.

With Buffalo's success with the Frozen Four, getting so many high picks, successful NHL team and have a large number of crazy Canadians right next door, i think it makes Buffalo the favorites.

I wish i still had the link to my post, but Pierre McGuire said during the 2008 WJC that he believes from all he heard that Buffalo would be a favorite. I posted it that day. I really think Buffalo may be the favorite to be honest. I think hosting games at Dwyer Arena does hurt them, the place is just small. When he first reported it last winter, he said most games would be at HSBC Arena and other's at Blue Cross Arena in Rochester.

With Buffalo's success with the Frozen Four, getting so many high picks, successful NHL team and have a large number of crazy Canadians right next door, i think it makes Buffalo the favorites.

I don't think Dwyer would be so(capacity wise) for when two of the lesser teams meet. The bigger concern is the quality of the facility(ice surface, locker rooms, etc...)

They could also use Copps Coliseum for some games or even the arena in Erie.

So, they've picked for 2012 but still haven't picked 09-10 and 2011? weird.

Per HockeyNews

2012 IIHF World Junior Championship will be held in Alberta.

The tournament, which will take place late December 2011 to early January 2012, will be played out of the Pengrowth Saddledome in Calgary and Rexall Place in Edmonton.

?This is an exciting day for hockey fans in Alberta and throughout Canada," said Hockey Canada president and CEO Bob Nicholson. "The bid group from Alberta put forward a great plan, and the site selection committee was particularly impressed with the bid's focus on making tickets affordable for all hockey fans.?

The tournament will be hosted by Ottawa in 2009, Regina and Saskatoon in 2010 and either Buffalo, Minneapolis-St. Paul or Grand Forks, N.D. in 2011.

Canada has won the past four championships. Canada last hosted the tournament in British Columbia in 2006.

• 2 weeks later...

The inspection is underway...

As one of three finalists to host the event, along with Grand Forks, N.D. and Minneapolis St. Paul, Buffalo was the first site to be toured by USA Hockey as representatives began evaluation of the city this week.

"[buffalo] is a gorgeous city and certainly very clean and a city that has a lot of pride in it",USA Hockey's Assistant Executive Director of Marketing and Communication Mike Bertsch said Thursday afternoon. "You can see that from the presentations that we've had [i'm] very impressed with it."

In addition to HSBC Arena, representatives were also on site at Dwyer Arena at Niagara University, which would act as the secondary rink for the tournament if Buffalo was awarded the event.

linky

World Junior Hockey Championships Fact Sheet

- 2011 event to take place December 26th, 2010 through January 6th, 2011.

- 10 countries send their best age 20 and under hockey players to this event.

- Event was held in Czech Republic in 2008 and will be held in Ottawa (2009) and Saskatoon (2010).

- Many of the players are recent or soon to be NHL Draft Picks.

- Games to be played at HSBC Arena and Dwyer Arena at Niagara University.

- 31 total games will be played over the 12-day period.

-Medal games to be played at HSBC Arena.

-3,200 room nights at local hotels.

-Estimated attendance over the 12 days of competition at both venues (300,000).

-Estimated economic impact = $6 million dollars.

-Played every year and are sanctioned by the Internation Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF).

• 1 month later...
Nice. I am really excited about this. This should be great for hockey in the region.

And it is a kick-ass tourney.

I will say I am "really" excited about this when I actually have tix in hand. I was pretty psyched that Buffalo got the Frozen 4 in the Vanek year, until I couldn't get a W#%@#% ticket even though I'd been a Sabres season ticket holder for over a decade.

I will say I am "really" excited about this when I actually have tix in hand. I was pretty psyched that Buffalo got the Frozen 4 in the Vanek year, until I couldn't get a W#%@#% ticket even though I'd been a Sabres season ticket holder for over a decade.

With the shear amount of games, I think getting a couple of games shouldn't be THAT much of a problem. Does anyone know the specific sites the games will be played? I'm assuming HSBC, Buff State and Blue Cross Arena...

Edit: Looks like Niagara and HSBC. Isn't there usually more than 2 arenas used?

With the shear amount of games, I think getting a couple of games shouldn't be THAT much of a problem. Does anyone know the specific sites the games will be played? I'm assuming HSBC, Buff State and Blue Cross Arena...

Edit: Looks like Niagara and HSBC. Isn't there usually more than 2 arenas used?

Not really. The only one that used more then two was Vancouver in 2006. They used 4. lol

Buffalo will host games at HSBC Arena and Dywer Arena.

BTW, Ottawa is this years host and they have games at the Civic Center (10k seats) and Scotiabank Place.

Archived