[OT] Edwards or the other guy?

Rabbit151

The only intersting part of the TSW is getting their panties in a bunch. When the server went down and I was able to post there I thought A-pus was going to kill himself. Just one little off the cuff post would spiral into page after page of nothingness. It was a beautiful sight to see.

I totally, 100% disagree.

...but not impossible.

Basically you need Edwards to be everything we want him to be, lynch to exceed last season (not that unlikely) and hardy to have a rookie season that makes all rookies seasons prior look mediocre, like you said, not impossible. But I'd be happy with 9-7 or 10-6 and in the playoffs.

EDIT: Oh, and the defense to stop people every now and then.

Basically you need Edwards to be everything we want him to be, lynch to exceed last season (not that unlikely) and hardy to have a rookie season that makes all rookies seasons prior look mediocre, like you said, not impossible. But I'd be happy with 9-7 or 10-6 and in the playoffs.

EDIT: Oh, and the defense to stop people every now and then.

" So you're saying there's a chance!! "

In all honesty, Edwards fits what Jauron is trying to do. Eat clock and not turn the ball over. He should have a decent year. I'd pay close attention to the Jason Peters "issue", though. That could alter his productivity.....

...but not impossible.

I'll be rooting for a different outcome... But I'm a realist when it comes to the Bills...

I think the chances of the Bills achieving a record of 12-4 are approaching zero.. Let's have a look at the sched

Seattle 1:00pm ... Tough one to start the season with and tough one to predict.. Here's a fun fact, Buffalo is 2-5 in openers since 2001. Play a helluva game but succumb on a last minute drive by Seattle when the Bills don't convert a 3rd an 1...0-1 to start the season off

at Jacksonville 1:00pm ... Bad place to hope for a rebound... First real test of whether the Bills can stop the run with the fat men up front. 0-2

Oakland 1:00pm ... Thank god for the raiders... We won't be going through another season wondering if we can win a game.. 1-2

at St. Louis 4:05pm ... Another tough one to predict.. Road loss 1-3

at Arizona 4:15pm ... By now, the bubble will have burst on another Arizona season ... First road win of the season... 2-3

San Diego 1:00pm ... Not even close... 2-4

at Miami 1:00pm .... Miami is a year or two away... 3-4

N.Y. Jets 1:00pm ... Only cause it's in Buffalo ... 4-4

at New England 1:00pm ... So much for 500 ball 4-5

Cleveland 8:30pm ... Another embarrassment on national TV 4-6

at Kansas City 1:00pm ... House of horrors for Bills teams (also see Foxboro and Pitt).. 4-7

San Francisco 1:00pm ... SF hasn't been good since Young left... 5-7

Miami 4:05pm ... Miami will be looking for their first scalp... Hope it aint Buffalo ... 6-7

at N.Y. Jets 1:00pm ...Can't lose em all.. Sweep Jets ... Again build unrealistic playoff scenario of 50 things to happen and the Bills sneak in... 7-7

at Denver 4:05pm ...Payback...We have no business winning this one, but hey, why not... Playoff fevor builds.. Now only need 15 things to happen...It's a long shot, but fans are stoked.... 8-7

New England 1:00pm ... them again... They sit Brady and we still lose... 8-8...

Everyone declares we are just a year away...

Dick Juaron is fired...

Back to the drawing board...

Thus completes the seasonal life cycle of a Bills fan...

I'll be rooting for a different outcome... But I'm a realist when it comes to the Bills...

I think the chances of the Bills achieving a record of 12-4 are approaching zero.. Let's have a look at the sched

Seattle 1:00pm ... Tough one to start the season with and tough one to predict.. Here's a fun fact, Buffalo is 2-5 in openers since 2001. Play a helluva game but succumb on a last minute drive by Seattle when the Bills don't convert a 3rd an 1...0-1 to start the season off

at Jacksonville 1:00pm ... Bad place to hope for a rebound... First real test of whether the Bills can stop the run with the fat men up front. 0-2

Oakland 1:00pm ... Thank god for the raiders... We won't be going through another season wondering if we can win a game.. 1-2

at St. Louis 4:05pm ... Another tough one to predict.. Road loss 1-3

at Arizona 4:15pm ... By now, the bubble will have burst on another Arizona season ... First road win of the season... 2-3

San Diego 1:00pm ... Not even close... 2-4

at Miami 1:00pm .... Miami is a year or two away... 3-4

N.Y. Jets 1:00pm ... Only cause it's in Buffalo ... 4-4

at New England 1:00pm ... So much for 500 ball 4-5

Cleveland 8:30pm ... Another embarrassment on national TV 4-6

at Kansas City 1:00pm ... House of horrors for Bills teams (also see Foxboro and Pitt).. 4-7

San Francisco 1:00pm ... SF hasn't been good since Young left... 5-7

Miami 4:05pm ... Miami will be looking for their first scalp... Hope it aint Buffalo ... 6-7

at N.Y. Jets 1:00pm ...Can't lose em all.. Sweep Jets ... Again build unrealistic playoff scenario of 50 things to happen and the Bills sneak in... 7-7

at Denver 4:05pm ...Payback...We have no business winning this one, but hey, why not... Playoff fevor builds.. Now only need 15 things to happen...It's a long shot, but fans are stoked.... 8-7

New England 1:00pm ... them again... They sit Brady and we still lose... 8-8...

Everyone declares we are just a year away...

Dick Juaron is fired...

Back to the drawing board...

Thus completes the seasonal life cycle of a Bills fan...

OMG!!! I SO WANT TO ARGUE WITH THIS BUT IT'S TOO TRUE. It's just like the change of seasons!

(although as a side note, Dick J. will be here for a while. He is well liked and respected). Go Bills! ...break my heart again.

lol I like the guys arguing with him, like the author doesn't realize that what he wrote was over the top dreaming. I like the article, it's positive and fun in one of those "it probably wont happen, but there's a chance..." ways. Like the Sabres winning out last season and going all the way to the cup. It wasn't meant to be, but it was fun to imagine them all of a sudden breaking out and winning it all out of nowhere.

The author is out of control, if I recall he was banned from TBD for his off the wall comments and just ripping on anyone who disagrees with him.... There are plenty of other posters I would rather see writing a preview about the AFC east than this guy

The author is out of control, if I recall he was banned from TBD for his off the wall comments and just ripping on anyone who disagrees with him.... There are plenty of other posters I would rather see writing a preview about the AFC east than this guy

Being banned from TBD seems sort of like a privilege...And it probably isn't too hard if you don't like Losman.

That dude has a blog? WTF is wrong with the Internet?

Anyway to see his thought train veering off the tracks to Mensatown and slamming into Lunatic City, check out his responses to the posted comments. Same garbage he used to post before his banning...

Being banned from TBD seems sort of like a privilege...And it probably isn't too hard if you don't like Losman.

Eh, I don't think it has as much to do with saying (and defending/"promoting") one QB over another, as it does the way you go about it. I've seen d-bags on both sides of the QB debate get banned for hitting everyone over the head repeatedly with their thoughts - basically copy & pasting their posts from thread to thread. I've also seen a lot of idiots get away with a lot - until the board starts to grumble a little and then it seems like the mods step in.

I think it really is less about what you say, and more about how you say it...

That dude has a blog? WTF is wrong with the Internet?

Anyway to see his thought train veering off the tracks to Mensatown and slamming into Lunatic City, check out his responses to the posted comments. Same garbage he used to post before his banning...

Eh, I don't think it has as much to do with saying (and defending/"promoting") one QB over another, as it does the way you go about it. I've seen d-bags on both sides of the QB debate get banned for hitting everyone over the head repeatedly with their thoughts - basically copy & pasting their posts from thread to thread. I've also seen a lot of idiots get away with a lot - until the board starts to grumble a little and then it seems like the mods step in.

I think it really is less about what you say, and more about how you say it...

I think that goes for a lot of places. It's just my opinion that TBD is a lot more lax on their weeding out of the riff raff; unlike this board. I've seen enough over on TBD to know that as long as I have a differing opinion it will be met with a barrage of flaming. It's not worth the effort. If someone wants to put the effort in to getting flamed then more power to them.

Let's have a look at the sched

Basing future NFL projections on previous seasons results never pans out. Teams move up and down every year.

Now if you were to hold a gun to my head and ask me how many games I think the Bills will win, I would probably say 7.

Guest Sloth

There is virtually no way the Bills will go 12-4, but I think it's crazy to say they won't have a winning record. W/ the additions they have made and having a QB that posted the best rookie numbers for a Buffalo Bill excites me. Edwards is also the first QB to look comfortable in the pocket since Flutie. Johnson and Losman looked like they had this "oh shiit what do I do?!" attitude when they were playing. Bills go 10-6 w/ a HOPEFUL wild card. It really bites to see Buffalo go this long w/out making the playoffs.

There is virtually no way the Bills will go 12-4, but I think it's crazy to say they won't have a winning record. W/ the additions they have made and having a QB that posted the best rookie numbers for a Buffalo Bill excites me. Edwards is also the first QB to look comfortable in the pocket since Flutie. Johnson and Losman looked like they had this "oh shiit what do I do?!" attitude when they were playing. Bills go 10-6 w/ a HOPEFUL wild card. It really bites to see Buffalo go this long w/out making the playoffs.

I'm going to go with the curse of St. John Fisher. Since they moved their camp from fredonia state they have had one winning season 9-7. I know it's a stretch. But I need to blame it on something.

Technically, we did win a championship

If Edwards has learned how to play in bad weather, 10 wins is not out of the question.

If he hasn't...

I'll be honest, I'm not a huge fan of either Losman or Edwards. I think Losman has a really good arm and has some great mobility in the pocket. However, one of the problems I feel he has, as do most young, mobile QBs is he holds onto the ball way too long hoping to make a play and then inevitably gets sacked. With Losman, it's either big play or sack, and you just can't sustain drives doing that. As for Edwards, I like his ability to get rid of the ball and his accuracy, however, he does not have the big arm that Losman has and the vertical game with Lee Evans tends to suffer with Edwards in there. So, for me, it's a combination of one QB does not make smart plays but the system fits his capabilities and the other QB who can make smart plays but the system and personnel do not fit his capabilities at all. For the personnel the Bills have i.e. fast/smallish receivers, they need a pocket QB who can get rid of the ball in a timing offense with a vertical/downfield system. This suits Losman better than it does Edwards, but Losman's inconsistency and questionable decision-making and him being sack prowned makes it tough to put him in there as a starter. For Edwards, a West Coast Style of offense is something he would thrive in with short passes that attacks the field horizontally with the receivers gaining yardage after the catch, but in order to play that system you need big/physical receivers, which the Bills don't have, thus the conundrum. Also, I know Dick Jauron's specialty is defense, but I have never once seen a Dick Jauron coached team ever put up big offensive numbers, except for one year when Gary Crowton was his offensive coordinator in Chicago and Jim Miller and Marcus Robinson came from nowhere to dominate the NFL for a few weeks. Just my take.

I'll be honest, I'm not a huge fan of either Losman or Edwards. I think Losman has a really good arm and has some great mobility in the pocket. However, one of the problems I feel he has, as do most young, mobile QBs is he holds onto the ball way too long hoping to make a play and then inevitably gets sacked. With Losman, it's either big play or sack, and you just can't sustain drives doing that. As for Edwards, I like his ability to get rid of the ball and his accuracy, however, he does not have the big arm that Losman has and the vertical game with Lee Evans tends to suffer with Edwards in there. So, for me, it's a combination of one QB does not make smart plays but the system fits his capabilities and the other QB who can make smart plays but the system and personnel do not fit his capabilities at all. For the personnel the Bills have i.e. fast/smallish receivers, they need a pocket QB who can get rid of the ball in a timing offense with a vertical/downfield system. This suits Losman better than it does Edwards, but Losman's inconsistency and questionable decision-making and him being sack prowned makes it tough to put him in there as a starter. For Edwards, a West Coast Style of offense is something he would thrive in with short passes that attacks the field horizontally with the receivers gaining yardage after the catch, but in order to play that system you need big/physical receivers, which the Bills don't have, thus the conundrum. Also, I know Dick Jauron's specialty is defense, but I have never once seen a Dick Jauron coached team ever put up big offensive numbers, except for one year when Gary Crowton was his offensive coordinator in Chicago and Jim Miller and Marcus Robinson came from nowhere to dominate the NFL for a few weeks. Just my take.

In the words of My Cousin Vinny's Judge Hallerin- "that is a lucid, intelligent, well thought-out post."

And if you went and posted it on TSW you'd get beaten to death on both sides.

Let me preface this with the fact that I was a Losman guy for a long time, and I still like him ... but I like Edwards too.

I want to see more from Edwards before I decide his arm is really a problem and he can't operate in a non-West Coast offense. He might not have Losman's arm strength, but few do, and he showed up stronger this season. If his shoulders were banged up at the end of last season like he has hinted, it would have affected his arm strength. Evans has completely changed his tune about Edwards this season from the sounds of things, so that is good ... I am not saying he IS the long-term answer, that remains to be seen ... but his arm is not my concern. He's a big guy and had enough arm coming out of high school to be a 5-star prospect (sorry, shameless Rivals plug) ... in a different program maybe he would have developed that arm more ... with a year of pro lifestyle and weight training, he is bulking up ... we'll see.

Liek I said, I was a Losman guy, but the difference between the two to me is this: When watching Losman, I know he COULD do something great, but too often I find myself just hoping he doesn't screw up. When watching Edwards, I know he COULD do something bad, but more often I find myself hoping he does something great. In other words, I am more confident that Edwards won't screw up. I know that statement sounds like I want to play not to lose, and I hate that. But I think Edwards can be more than that, he just needs time, and last season's struggles will hopefully be learned from.

As for the Jauron thing, I totally agree ... but I will also say that those were the same things said about Marv Levy in 1987. You partially explained Jaron's offensive rep when you mentioned his QB ... JIM MILLER ... he also had Shane Matthews, Cade McNown, Kordell Stewart ... then he comes to Buffalo and had Losman and rookie Edwards ... Not exactly dealing with the Manning brothers. I think any coach is willing to open up a bit if he has the weapons.

I heard Brett Favre is available and willing to play for any team, or so said this morning's litter-box liner.

Want to win a Super Bowl? Go get him. At least try.

If he would come, it would be tough to turn down ... but it depends on the price ... 1st round pick ... maybe ... more than that ... getting pricey for a year or two, especially because if it is more than a year, Edwards will be at the end of his rookie deal and they still won't know what he is ...

I think they are better, but are the favre away from winning it all? tough call.

I heard Brett Favre is available and willing to play for any team, or so said this morning's litter-box liner.

Want to win a Super Bowl? Go get him. At least try.

Another guy at the end of his career, just what we need. Might as well just give Dallas a call and see if they want him.

Another guy at the end of his career, just what we need. Might as well just give Dallas a call and see if they want him.

I don't see what all of the fuss is about Favre. He'll be 39 in October. Coming from a team that should have made the Super Bowl to Buffalo will not be good for him. Even in Green Bay, he could easily revert back to the guy who threw more INTs than TDs from 2005-2006 and didn't make the playoffs.

Green Bay is in a situation where they can get something for nothing, and they should take advantage. Just not with Buffalo.

Edwards is the man. He's a smarter guy than Losman. It seems that the coaches have wanted a qb who will limit mistakes and lead long drives- manage the offense- for the last 5 years. Losman couldn't do it because he couldn't think straight. Edwards will.

The optimist in me says they'll win 12 games. The realist says 8 games.

I am more excited for this season than I have been in the last few years, though. I like the front 7 on defense, and if Peters returns, there's finally continuity on the o-line. Lynch and Edwards in their second seasons should improve, and from all accounts Hardy actually might help out this year.

Archived