Golisano

bottlecap

Anyone see this? The NY Times calls Golisano "unpredictable." I wouldn't be suprised if he sells the Sabres.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/09/nyregion...illionaire.html

ALBANY ? Tom Golisano, the unpredictable Rochester businessman with deep pockets and never-ending political ambition, brought fresh drama to a chaotic election year on Tuesday with his announcement that he would pour at least $5 million into the state?s legislative races.

Tom Golisano, in Albany on Tuesday, spent $74 million in his 2002 bid for governor, his third and most recent try for the office. That is about 10 times what the average Senate candidate spends in an election, and slightly more than all the money held in the Republican Party?s statewide campaign accounts...

Anyone see this? The NY Times calls Golisano "unpredictable." I wouldn't be suprised if he sells the Sabres.

ALBANY ? Tom Golisano, the unpredictable Rochester businessman with deep pockets and never-ending political ambition, brought fresh drama to a chaotic election year on Tuesday with his announcement that he would pour at least $5 million into the state?s legislative races.

Tom Golisano, in Albany on Tuesday, spent $74 million in his 2002 bid for governor, his third and most recent try for the office. That is about 10 times what the average Senate candidate spends in an election, and slightly more than all the money held in the Republican Party?s statewide campaign accounts...

Independence Fusion, anyone?

As the old saying goes, "It takes one to know one," which I have to ask, "Is Golisano eccentric?"

When Tom is considering candidates to support, does he go out and see them on the stump or does he just watch video?

Ba-dum-bum ... he'll be here all week folks!

While I tire of the FO bashing (not necessarily yours, PA) ... and I think the "video scouting" is overblown ... I DO think the problems they have start with TG ... and this post made me giggle ...

ALBANY — Tom Golisano, the unpredictable Rochester businessman with deep pockets and never-ending political ambition, brought fresh drama to a chaotic election year on Tuesday with his announcement that he would pour at least $5 million into the state’s legislative races.

Tom Golisano, in Albany on Tuesday, spent $74 million in his 2002 bid for governor, his third and most recent try for the office. That is about 10 times what the average Senate candidate spends in an election, and slightly more than all the money held in the Republican Party’s statewide campaign accounts...

Let me see if I understand this correctly. A citizen of the United Sates of America decides he wants to use his own money and support candidates he feels will do the best job. What exactly is your problem? There have been some extremely pointless threads recently and this has to be up there with the worst. How exactly does his support of the political process translate into the sale of the Sabres?

So many of us bitch and moan about how the State is run. All the while we sit back and do nothing to change the status quo. Golisano decides changes are needed and backs it up with a pretty sizable check. Instead of trying to turn this into yet another lame attempt to lynch Tom Golisano how about tipping the proverbial cap to the man for not sitting on the sidelines and getting involved.

Let me see if I understand this correctly. A citizen of the United Sates of America decides he wants to use his own money and support candidates he feels will do the best job. What exactly is your problem? There have been some extremely pointless threads recently and this has to be up there with the worst. How exactly does his support of the political process translate into the sale of the Sabres?

So many of us bitch and moan about how the State is run. All the while we sit back and do nothing to change the status quo. Golisano decides changes are needed and backs it up with a pretty sizable check. Instead of trying to turn this into yet another lame attempt to lynch Tom Golisano how about tipping the proverbial cap to the man for not sitting on the sidelines and getting involved.

1) OMG I'm agreeing with Luca!

2) It's his $, would you be mad at me if I bought a hot pretzel outside of the arena?

3) If this makes Tom happy, I'm all for it

4) It's still less than the $9 million he donated to Rochester General.

5) Why would he sell? He still has $1,300,000,000 to go before he's broke. (zero's added for effect)

APPLAUSE! APPLAUSE! APPLAUSE! APPLAUSE! APPLAUSE! APPLAUSE! APPLAUSE! APPLAUSE! APPLAUSE! APPLAUSE! APPLAUSE! APPLAUSE! APPLAUSE! APPLAUSE! APPLAUSE! APPLAUSE! APPLAUSE! APPLAUSE! APPLAUSE! APPLAUSE! APPLAUSE! APPLAUSE! APPLAUSE! APPLAUSE! APPLAUSE! APPLAUSE! APPLAUSE! APPLAUSE! APPLAUSE! APPLAUSE! APPLAUSE! APPLAUSE! APPLAUSE!

Almost everything Tom Golisano does privately has an angle about improving upstate and WNY. (no matter what you think of his methods)

His ownership of the Sabres is a pericope of that book.

He may indeed sell someday. But I doubt he would sell to just anyone.

4) It's still less than the $9 million he donated to Rochester General.

Great point ... most people see pouring money into politics as a waste of money I guess ... but like you said, it's his money ... I may not like everything about how he runs the Sabres, particularly his choice of LQ to run them, but this does not bother me one bit.

Given how poorly New York State is run and how little he will get from that money, personally, I think that $5 million would have been better spent on Daniel Briere or Brian Campbell, but hey, that's just me :nana:

Joking. This really is not that newsworthy. I think most rich people try to use their money and influence for the purpose of getting their agendas passed. Not really anything wrong with it, just how the political system operates. I also don't see the correlation between his financing elections and selling the Sabres, but again that's me.

Almost everything Tom Golisano does privately has an angle about improving upstate and WNY. (no matter what you think of his methods)

And no matter what anyone thinks, improving upstate and WNY is far more important than a hockey team. This needs to be pointed out since I'm sure at least a few people out there have the "hey, why can't he add that 5 million to the payroll instead" idea.

Pericope. Good word. I had to look it up!

When Tom is considering candidates to support, does he go out and see them on the stump or does he just watch video?

that's quality stuff. (and that's coming from someone who thinks the video-scouting issue is overblown.)

i agree. it's no accident that golisano stepped up to do this in connection with bruno's departure and the resulting consolidation of power in 3 downstate representatives -- you can be assured that the "room" in which the "three men" sit from now on will be in manhattan (as opposed to in/around troy, ny). that paradigm must end (not just shift), but it's going to take some serious money, clout, and pressure over a long period of time before anyone makes traction.

Pericope. Good word. I had to look it up!

great word ... the greek-ish pronounciation is cool too (hell, i thought you'd just misspelled periscope :bag: )

Well stated, DeLuca. Couldn't agree more. Why anyone would think negatively of someone performing a patriotic duty is beyond me. We should all get more involved.

Maybe if he decided to spend money to acquire better players and a new FO for the team rather than on these endeavors, we could actually win a Cup. :thumbsup:

Maybe if he decided to spend money to acquire better players and a new FO for the team rather than on these endeavors, we could actually win a Cup. :thumbsup:

Do you feel the same way about the $9 million he gave to the hospital that spndnchz mentioned, or can he give money away only to the causes you feel are worthy?

Do you feel the same way about the $9 million he gave to the hospital that spndnchz mentioned, or can he give money away only to the causes you feel are worthy?

I never said that he shouldn't spend money on philanthropic causes. I only said that if he spent his money as freely with the Sabres as he does elsewhere, we would have a better FO and would not be seen as a cheap franchise across the league that isn't willing to pay to keep or bring in top talent.

Please don't insinuate that I think Golisano is a bad guy. He isn't. He gives to a lot of charitable causes, and he did keep the Sabres from bankruptcy and being sold. I don't have a problem giving money to political causes either, and I respect that he cares enough to participate, even if I don't necessarily agree with all of his views. I never said he shouldn't give to all of those causes, but I wish he would give as much to the franchise to get better quality players and a new FO. Is there anything wrong with that?

DeLuca,

I've agreed with some of your posts in the past, but this may be the first time that I actually wished I wrote it.

I obviously have my issues with how TG has run the team and I do think he will sell sooner rather than later, but no rational person can argue with his desire to do good with what he has and to put his money behind what he believes in.

Archived