Rhett Warrener has been waived by Calgary

Goodfella25

Here's my take on Rhett. At $2.5 million, I would not put in a waiver claim for him. If he's bought out, I would love to get our captain back at $1 - $1.5 million/year. In terms of priority, though, I'd rank it this way in terms of physical, stay at-home defenseman:

1. Try to sign Orpik if at all possible

2. Try to sign Adam Foote if he is not re-signed by the Avs

3. Try to sign Jason Smith

4. Try to sign Mike Commodore

5. Trade for a physical defensive defenseman such as Beauchemin, Kevin Bieksa, Andy Sutton, Brendan Witt, Hal Gill

6. Sign Warrener only if he gets bought out and becomes a UFA

7. Play Mike Weber full time next year

Knowing the Darcy and Sabres management, I imagine that options 6 and 7 may end up being the most likely solution. Out of all of the option, I do think that playing Mike Weber full time next year with Sekera may end up being a great move long term for the Sabres, however knowing that defenseman generally take a bit more time to develop and that his game is more defensive than offensive, I think it makes the most sense to have him play in Portland one more year without rushing his development. However, I do think that what I saw of Weber this year made me believe that he could definitely handle playing in the NHL next year even if that means bottom pairing. I have a lot of confidence in Weber's game being successful for the Sabres.

My own preferences.. :thumbsup: My opinion is he is getting old , becoming injury prone and its time to move on...

Fair enough, though I'd disagree on the "injury prone" part of your reasoning. Outside the heart problem (which is supposedly not an issue anymore after the surgery) he missed a total of 10 games over the previous two seasons. If we don't get a veteran defenseman I have no problem bringing him back - but not at $2.6M.

My own preferences.. :thumbsup: My opinion is he is getting old , becoming injury prone and its time to move on...

Everyone is getting old. Teppo is not injury prone. He has a heart condition that was taken care of by surgery. Warrener has suffered more injuries than Teppo. Understand if you just want to move on but not for injury reason.

Everyone is getting old. Teppo is not injury prone. He has a heart condition that was taken care of by surgery. Warrener has suffered more injuries than Teppo. Understand if you just want to move on but not for injury reason.

He had heart surgery and he is 40..Nuff said for me..If you like him great..I would pass..

IMO, Teppo was missed in the locker room more than on the ice. I doubt he'll be offered to re-up for 2.6, that's just silly. He's got skills though. He sees the ice well, rarely makes that dumbass pass and gets it out of the zone well (something they lacked last year). I'd pay him just a bit more than Pratt money. Let's all remember he's a UFA on Tuesday? :chris: arg

Teppo would be a greater value to the Sabres in Portland than he would be with the Sabres. I would rather see him working with the kids.

That may be true, but there is no way he plays in Portland. I'm pretty sure Buffalo will re-sign Eric Weinrich for that role in Portland. Maybe Wildcat can update us on that.

Teppo would be a greater value to the Sabres in Portland than he would be with the Sabres. I would rather see him working with the kids.

If/When Cunney leaves he would make a fine Player/Coach. Not sure if he's even remotely interested in it though.

Warrener was a really good Sabre--very easy to like. Great team guy. But we've got to get over this thing we have for our former players being the answer to our ills and move on. I don't see him helping the team any more than Pratt can at this stage and Pratt, despite running out of gas a bit at the end of the season, is more durable.

Teppo working with the kids is an idea. But unsure how he or the organization have dealt with the grievance he filed. Wonder what the relationship is like. May be nothing a tall but...

IMO, Teppo was missed in the locker room more than on the ice. I doubt he'll be offered to re-up for 2.6, that's just silly. He's got skills though. He sees the ice well, rarely makes that dumbass pass and gets it out of the zone well (something they lacked last year). I'd pay him just a bit more than Pratt money. Let's all remember he's a UFA on Tuesday? :chris: arg

I realize it was only one game, but watching him do all the little things behind the play in the Boston game was a great site. I've never known all the ins and outs of the position, but it was incredibly obvious that Teppo has a much better hockey mind than anyone else back there. They definitely missed that last year.

Warrener was a really good Sabre--very easy to like. Great team guy. But we've got to get over this thing we have for our former players being the answer to our ills and move on. I don't see him helping the team any more than Pratt can at this stage and Pratt, despite running out of gas a bit at the end of the season, is more durable.

Teppo working with the kids is an idea. But unsure how he or the organization have dealt with the grievance he filed. Wonder what the relationship is like. May be nothing a tall but...

Agree completely with the first paragraph.

As far as Teppo and Buffalo goes, my understanding is that Teppo has no problems with Darcy and Lindy. I would like him back at around $1.5 if he is interested. I would like Pratt and him to handle the 6th and 7th roles with Paestch playing elsewhere.

As far as Teppo and Buffalo goes, my understanding is that Teppo has no problems with Darcy and Lindy. I would like him back at around $1.5 if he is interested. I would like Pratt and him to handle the 6th and 7th roles with Paestch playing elsewhere.

Perfect.

I'm not a fan of Paetsch, send him to the AHL. I'd rather have Pratt and Teppo around on D than Nathan. I also want Weber and Sekera up full time together.

How about giving Teppo the same contract as last year as a face saving move? If there is any negative thoughts floating around the leauge about what they did (which I don't think there are), it could help with that. Its just a one year thing and doesn't interfere at all with any money that is meant to go to the Miller and Pominville deals that everyone wants to see.

But hey, I'm just throwing out an idea that I thought would be right down your alley.

I agree also. Never understood some fans opinions towards Paetsch. He brings nothing and there is a reason he plays only when there are injuries.

How about giving Teppo the same contract as last year as a face saving move? If there is any negative thoughts floating around the leauge about what they did (which I don't think there are), it could help with that. Its just a one year thing and doesn't interfere at all with any money that is meant to go to the Miller and Pominville deals that everyone wants to see.

But hey, I'm just throwing out an idea that I thought would be right down your alley.

I think bring him back is enough. As you know, I do believe there is a lot of mending to be done but throwing away money is not the answer. I would have hoped that you knew me better then that.

Paetsch was a huge disappointment to me last year. Did he come in overconfident only to see Sekera and Weber pass him by and never look back? Don't know. I expected a big step forward last year; he took a huge one back.

I'd rather have Pratt back at #7 than Paetsch.

I'd like to have Teppo back at 1.5. Paying him 2.5(?) again seems too pricey to me. He's said to like the area and owns a house there for what that's worth. Suspect he's got options.

I think Teppo and Paetsch will be back, but not Pratt, unless they completely strike out on bringing in any new defensemen. The team isn't going to give up that quickly on Paetsch. Pratt was OK last year, but he's just a guy. Darcy sounded pretty lukewarm & noncommittal in his recent interview on the audio vault when asked about Pratt.

Archived