Rhett Warrener has been waived by Calgary

Goodfella25

I think Teppo and Paetsch will be back, but not Pratt, unless they completely strike out on bringing in any new defensemen. The team isn't going to give up that quickly on Paetsch. Pratt was OK last year, but he's just a guy. Darcy sounded pretty lukewarm & noncommittal in his recent interview on the audio vault when asked about Pratt.

Couldn't hurt to send him to Portland though could it?

I think Teppo and Paetsch will be back, but not Pratt, unless they completely strike out on bringing in any new defensemen. The team isn't going to give up that quickly on Paetsch. Pratt was OK last year, but he's just a guy. Darcy sounded pretty lukewarm & noncommittal in his recent interview on the audio vault when asked about Pratt.

I think he has been around long enough. How many years and chances does he get? Much prefer Pratt as the 6-7 D-Man.

Couldn't hurt to send him to Portland though could it?

Pratt? I'd be quite happy to have him in Portland. There's no way Teppo is playing in Portland though. There are plenty of NHL teams who would have him in their top 6. When that's no longer the case, I'd expect him to move back to Finland.

I suspect you're right on here. And I wouldn't take issue with them for giving him another chance. He's probably got more of an upside than Pratt. I'd just rather see Pratt than Paetsch in a Sabre sweater. Paetsch squandered a golden opportunity last year in my book.

I think bring him back is enough. As you know, I do believe there is a lot of mending to be done but throwing away money is not the answer. I would have hoped that you knew me better then that.

What ever happened with Teppo's grievance? If it's old news I apologize but I don't recall the outcome.

GO SABRES!!!

I think he has been around long enough. How many years and chances does he get? Much prefer Pratt as the 6-7 D-Man.

Respectfully, I will ask that you do a bit of google and check your facts before you post. He turned 25 this year. His first NHL game was vs. the Hurricanes in the 2006 playoffs -- he was forced into action as part of the Sabres defense plague that hit us during those playoffs. He then made the big leagues as the #7 defenseman in 2006-07, behind a well-established, veteran top 6 (Tallinder, Lydman, Soupy, Spacek, Teppo and Kalinin), played in 63 games and was well-regarded that year (everyone thought he was the PP QB of the future). Like 95% of the team, he then had a crappy 2007-08 and failed to seize the opportunity to step up and fill the void left by a departing veteran leader.

Given how long this organization gave Soupy (wisely) and Kalinin (perhaps not) to develop, and the conventional wisdom throughout the NHL that defensemen take a long time to develop, I will be shocked if we dump Paetsch this year.

Respectfully, I will ask that you do a bit of google and check your facts before you post. He turned 25 this year. His first NHL game was vs. the Hurricanes in the 2006 playoffs -- he was forced into action as part of the Sabres defense plague that hit us during those playoffs. He then made the big leagues as the #7 defenseman in 2006-07, behind a well-established, veteran top 6 (Tallinder, Lydman, Soupy, Spacek, Teppo and Kalinin), played in 63 games and was well-regarded that year (everyone thought he was the PP QB of the future). Like 95% of the team, he then had a crappy 2007-08 and failed to seize the opportunity to step up and fill the void left by a departing veteran leader.

Given how long this organization gave Soupy (wisely) and Kalinin (perhaps not) to develop, and the conventional wisdom throughout the NHL that defensemen take a long time to develop, I will be shocked if we dump Paetsch this year.

I remember how Paetsch sparked a turbid power play that one season, then rarely got a sniff of PP ice time after that. Still scratching my head over that one. Maybe even flaring my nostrils, not sure.

Pratt? I'd be quite happy to have him in Portland. There's no way Teppo is playing in Portland though. There are plenty of NHL teams who would have him in their top 6. When that's no longer the case, I'd expect him to move back to Finland.

Yup, Pratt. I'd like him there as insurance in case the injury bug bites our D again. It'd be nice to have an experienced NHL player who doesn't make a lot of mistakes, waiting in the wings just in case.

My issue with Pratt is that he doesn't play like he's got a pair. I want him to be smart, solid, reliable, AND nasty once in a while. He's got the size and the respect being a veteran to play with more of an edge. That's what our defense lacks, night in and night out. Passion and intensity--RANT WARNING--I'm sick of them floating through games and half-arsing it in our defensive zone. I'm sick of lazy hooking penalties, losing battles on the boards and clearing the puck in front of our own net (the "Lydman Special"). I'm sick of watching a group of guys scared to go into the corners that takes it but doesn't dish it out. I'm sick of limp-wristed shots from the point (with the exception of Spac and Sekera) and pathetic locker room interviews 70 games into the season with defensemen saying "we've got to learn to play the system and play smarter". 70 games in Lydman! 70. Games. In.

My issue with Pratt is that he doesn't play like he's got a pair. I want him to be smart, solid, reliable, AND nasty once in a while. He's got the size and the respect being a veteran to play with more of an edge. That's what our defense lacks, night in and night out. Passion and intensity--RANT WARNING--I'm sick of them floating through games and half-arsing it in our defensive zone. I'm sick of lazy hooking penalties, losing battles on the boards and clearing the puck in front of our own net (the "Lydman Special"). I'm sick of watching a group of guys scared to go into the corners that takes it but doesn't dish it out. I'm sick of limp-wristed shots from the point (with the exception of Spac and Sekera) and pathetic locker room interviews 70 games into the season with defensemen saying "we've got to learn to play the system and play smarter". 70 games in Lydman! 70. Games. In.

I think the problem is that the Sabres were coached last season to play a less physical style. I remember reading somewhere that Lindy is retooling the team strategy for this year and I feel like it's going to involve a little more trapping and more physical play. I think Pratt is the kind of guy who will hit more if he is told that is the game plan. It all comes down to what our system looks like this year.

I think bring him back is enough. As you know, I do believe there is a lot of mending to be done but throwing away money is not the answer. I would have hoped that you knew me better then that.

I don't really see it as throwing away money though. It really isn't all that much more than what you suggested, especially when you couple that with the money they saved last year by not paying him.

I remember reading somewhere that Lindy is retooling the team strategy for this year and I feel like it's going to involve a little more trapping and more physical play.

You probably heard the same thing I did. It was from Larry Quinn. He claimed that the last game of the season the Sabres played a "Bruins-style system, and look at what happened" as in, we won using that system. I don't think we have the personnel for that kind of system, nor would that be good for business.

Anyway, the guy who makes things up is now claiming that Warrener has cleared waivers. So if we do get him, it would probably be as a UFA after a buyout, thus eliminating the "too much money" argument.

I remember how Paetsch sparked a turbid power play that one season, then rarely got a sniff of PP ice time after that. Still scratching my head over that one. Maybe even flaring my nostrils, not sure.

+1

Nice rant, but in all fairness Pratt & Mair had some of the most impressive individual nights from last season. For the rest, Toni & Hank were off, Paetsch rarely played, all season long I was like "were's Paetsch?"; Spacek was always injured with something, soupy was soupy, and in the end Sekera and Weber shined as the number one pairing.

My perspective in Pratts case is that he played his game; which is his role in the system; rather than guys trying to find or play their role in the system.

He sparked the power play by using a weak wrister to hit the net when nobody was hitting the net.

Subsequently, nearly every weak wrister he has taken in the year since has been blocked high.

I don't expect to see him on a regular pp unit unless there is a major epidemic.

I think he might be able to clear waivers which might be good news for Portland.

He sparked the power play by using a weak wrister to hit the net when nobody was hitting the net.

Subsequently, nearly every weak wrister he has taken in the year since has been blocked high.

I don't expect to see him on a regular pp unit unless there is a major epidemic.

I think he might be able to clear waivers which might be good news for Portland.

The Avian flu? The return of the plague? What?! Come on!

The Avian flu? The return of the plague? What?! Come on!

I was thinking dengue fever, or a similar mosquito borne illness such as West Nile:

High fever, chills, shakes, potential of internal hemorrhaging, loss of bowel control and at the very least causing rapid weight loss and the doctors to say "icky."

I was thinking dengue fever, or a similar mosquito borne illness such as West Nile:

High fever, chills, shakes, potential of internal hemorrhaging, loss of bowel control and at the very least causing rapid weight loss and the doctors to say "icky."

Sounds like me during any playoff overtime game.

Whatever happened to West Nile? I remember a few years ago, the Puddle Police were out and about making sure there was no standing water anywhere. I was at a garden center in the Twin Tiers yesterday that featured enough standing water to support several canoes.

Sounds like me during any playoff overtime game.

Whatever happened to West Nile? I remember a few years ago, the Puddle Police were out and about making sure there was no standing water anywhere. I was at a garden center in the Twin Tiers yesterday that featured enough standing water to support several canoes.

Alive and kicking here in Cleveland, it seems.

LINK

Archived