Rhett Warrener has been waived by Calgary

Goodfella25

I couldn't agree more. We should sign him, then make Max legally change his name to Steve Reinprecht, and then trade both of them to the Rangers for Drury.

Seriously though, he would be a decent sign at $2.5m, although I think he has had some trouble staying healthy of late. That's sort of ironic when you consider that his former d-partner has the same trouble. I think of Jay McKee as the House Ballard of the Sabres. He was quietly really good and reliable here, left and then had serious trouble staying healthy.

I couldn't agree more. We should sign him, then make Max legally change his name to Steve Reinprecht, and then trade both of them to the Rangers for Drury.

Seriously though, he would be a decent sign at $2.5m, although I think he has had some trouble staying healthy of late. That's sort of ironic when you consider that his former d-partner has the same trouble. I think of Jay McKee as the House Ballard of the Sabres. He was quietly really good and reliable here, left and then had serious trouble staying healthy.

I'm with ya. I'm trying to be as realistic/logical as possible, but it's hard not to let his past performance cloud my thinking at this point. The truth is he probably isn't the same player he was. He's more injury-prone than ever, and he's even older. That being said, he's one of my favorite Sabres so it's hard to not let that overshadow his shortcomings. Would love to see him in blue and gold for the first time. He was a big fan favorite. Couldn't we afford a one-year deal for 2.5 million? Kalinin is gone, so is Campbell, possibly Teppo and Pratt. Come on Darcy, make it happen!

Pratt better not be going anywhere. He's consistently unexciting. We need more of that.

Get Rhett back here though, one season a 2.5 mil is worth the shot.

That is a flawless definition of Nolan Pratt. He'd make a perfect Boston Bruin.

Going back to Warrener's salary, another way to look at it is this: He and Jay McKee are pretty much the same at this point, only Warrener comes at a little over half the price tag. We all know McKee isn't worth his contract, but someone thought he was so that's what we go by. I am wondering how realistic it is to think our front office would 1) be interested in bring Rhett back and 2) actually make a move.

I really like Warrener, but not sure he is worth $2.5 million when he is more likely to play 60 games than 80 ... I understand that is the price tag if they claim him, I guess just saying I would like it better if he cleared and they could somehow get him for less.

On the other hand, that autographed Warrener jersey I want to sell might find a market if he comes back ...

He's 32 and would have been a UFA after the 08-09 season. Probably not a bad move if the {insert your favorite defenseman here} negotiations don't work out. I thought he's had some injuries over the past couple of years, though....

Didn't he break his leg this winter?

If its the Rhett that played like a monster with McKee then yeah, lets take him back.

But at some point near the end, didn't Rhett turn into his alter-ego Rhettley- The Soft, stay at home defensman, clean shaven chap? If its Rhettley we should pass.

Archived