OT Buffalo wings

Strow

There might be only a handful of ways to make them right, but there are thousands of ways to screw them up. Grilling, baking, breading, ranch dressing, bad wing sauce, weird flavors are just a handful of ways restaurants and people outside WNY ruin wings.

You MUST fry them. Since the fryers people use at home are smaller than restaurant style ones, they tend to cool when the wings are added. Start with the oil at 400degF (it'll drop to the 350-375 that you want). Use a good deep fryer oil (I'm using Wesson Deep Frying Oil w/ Peanut Oil currently), don't use regular vegetable oil, the wings will burn before ever getting crispy. Fry them for at least 20 minutes. Keep them in the oil until they have been floating for a while and they sound done when you shake them. (You'll know the right sound when you hear it.)

Make the sauce as you like, but make sure you use butter and Frank's Red Hot as the base. I add a few other ingredients, but the key is Frank's and butter. I also like to start the sauce when I start the wing batch and then let it sit in a covered pot on low heat after everything is stirred together. This helps to thicken the sauce so it isn't runny when the wings are added.

You MUST fry them. Since the fryers people use at home are smaller than restaurant style ones, they tend to cool when the wings are added. Start with the oil at 400degF (it'll drop to the 350-375 that you want). Use a good deep fryer oil (I'm using Wesson Deep Frying Oil w/ Peanut Oil currently), don't use regular vegetable oil, the wings will burn before ever getting crispy. Fry them for at least 20 minutes. Keep them in the oil until they have been floating for a while and they sound done when you shake them. (You'll know the right sound when you hear it.)

Make the sauce as you like, but make sure you use butter and Frank's Red Hot as the base. I add a few other ingredients, but the key is Frank's and butter. I also like to start the sauce when I start the wing batch and then let it sit in a covered pot on low heat after everything is stirred together. This helps to thicken the sauce so it isn't runny when the wings are added.

I'll bring the beer. :beer:

Nice description.

Just make sure you don't use the ceramic inner pot. Put the oil right in the black outer one. I did that once, and there wasn't enough volume of oil for it to stay hot when you put the wings in. They were pretty bad.

What are Buffalo Wings...

I can tell you how to make chicken wings...

Wings are chicken?

You are absolutely killing me!

pssst...in WNY we call them chicken wings...

I've been gone so long I forget stuff like that. I hate the fact that I think soda, before pop, too... :ph34r:

You are absolutely killing me!

I've been gone so long I forget stuff like that. I hate the fact that I think soda, before pop, too... :ph34r:

You need a cleansing my friend. Quick, find yourself a greyhound back to B-lo and eat as many wings as possible whilst pounding gallons of pop.

Wait in suspense to see if your body still remembers what it's like, or if you'll be spending the rest of your day in the man library.

As a former pizzeria owner (it paid for college but not much more) it sounds almost perfect although twenty minutes seems a tad long.

As a former pizzeria owner (it paid for college but not much more) it sounds almost perfect although twenty minutes seems a tad long.

I assumed he'd be using either a crock pot heater (hopefully w/ the crock pot removed ;) ) or a fry daddy type fryer. With that small a container, the oil typically cools a little too much when the wings are added to get them crispy in less than that. Since they'll start floating in ~8 minutes, it's real easy to end up with them slightly underdone if you're not sure what your doing. That's why I suggested not even test shaking them for the 20. If he's using a "real" deep fryer, you are right the 20 minutes will be a bit too long unless he wants them VERY crispy.

2 other asides to Strow. 1. The wings don't have to be thawed, they can go directly in the fryer; just remember to only add 2 wings at a time to the fryer basket and lower it into the oil gently and be ready to lift the basket quickly to keep the oil splatter from frothing over the top of the fryer; and 2. shake the wings every so often just to keep them from sticking to the basket. And it should go w/out saying, remember to drain the oil off them prior to putting them in the sauce.

I assumed he'd be using either a crock pot heater (hopefully w/ the crock pot removed ;) ) or a fry daddy type fryer. With that small a container, the oil typically cools a little too much when the wings are added to get them crispy in less than that. Since they'll start floating in ~8 minutes, it's real easy to end up with them slightly underdone if you're not sure what your doing. That's why I suggested not even test shaking them for the 20. If he's using a "real" deep fryer, you are right the 20 minutes will be a bit too long unless he wants them VERY crispy.

2 other asides to Strow. 1. The wings don't have to be thawed, they can go directly in the fryer; just remember to only add 2 wings at a time to the fryer basket and lower it into the oil gently and be ready to lift the basket quickly to keep the oil splatter from frothing over the top of the fryer; and 2. shake the wings every so often just to keep them from sticking to the basket. And it should go w/out saying, remember to drain the oil off them prior to putting them in the sauce.

I've owned home version deep fryers for quite a few years (the kind with the lid and basket), and agree that 20 minutes, in that kind of fryer, is too long. Here are a few of my own tips -- use or discard as you will:

1. the kind of fryer I have -- your basic home kitchen deep fryer, with a lid -- makes really good wings.

2. do not overload the basket. One dozen wings at a time. Any more and they won't cook right.

3. Heat the oil up to the maximum setting -- it takes about 20 minutes to get all the way hot -- before putting in the wings. There is a very satisfying sizzle and thick white mushroom cloud of greasy chicken fat smoke that comes out when you put the wings in.

4. let them cook for about 7 minutes, then take the basket out of the oil and stir the wings with a cooking utensil. You'll need something fairly stout as the wings tend to get stuck to the basket. then cook for another 5-6 minutes. when they are done, take them out and let them sit for a couple of minutes on paper towels to drain the excess oil.

5. If you're making 50+ wings (and you really should, because it's enough of a pain to make them that you might as well make a lot), have a big metal, glass or ceramic bowl handy to hold the wings. keep the bowl on the stovetop, with no lid (this is important -- the lid will make the wings lose their crispiness) on the lowest heat setting. You'll need to turn the heat off and back on now and then so the bowl doesn't get too hot. When you transfer wings from the paper towels to the bowl, add sauce and toss a lump of butter into the bowl, then stir. This keeps the wings hot and crispy.

6. MOST IMPORTANTLY -- DO NOT COOK THEM INSIDE YOUR HOUSE. It will stink up your house like you can't believe, and the smell will stay for at least 3 days, and maybe a week. I learned that lesson the hard way. Cook them outside. Run a extension cord (heavy-duty, because the fryer uses a lot of power) if you must, but cook them outside. If you're cooking them on a deck, put a bunch of newspapers out under the deep fryer because the oil splatters all over the place and it stains the deck.

7. The Costco near me has jumbo bags of plump, meaty, pre-cut wings -- so if you belong to Costco or Sam's or something, that might be a good place to shop.

8. Taro is 100% right on the sauce.

Now I'm hungry.

More importantly: do you know what they call the Quarter-Pounder with cheese in England?

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.

:death:

Archived