[OT] Gas Prices

Guest Sloth

What I am wondering is if they can only get 19.5 gallons out because of the process, or if they decide to use the rest to make the other stuff:

gasoline 19.5

distillate fuel oil 9.2 (Includes both home heating oil and diesel fuel)

kerosene-type jet fuel 4.1

residual fuel oil

(Heavy oils used as fuels in industry, marine transportation and for

electric power generation) 2.3

liquefied refinery gasses 1.9

still gas 1.9

coke 1.8

asphalt and road oil 1.3

petrochemical feedstocks 1.2

lubricants 0.5

kerosene 0.2

other 0.3 (kerosene)

Awesome. :worthy:

Right, so start making less of the other stuff and charge more for it and lower gas prices. Jet fuel needs to be more expensive anyways so these people with private jets can suffer.

Right, so start making less of the other stuff and charge more for it and lower gas prices. Jet fuel needs to be more expensive anyways so these people with private jets can suffer.

That's not really how it works. They make the other stuff because there is stuff in crude oil than cannot be used in gasoline. Oil has different parts that boil off at different temperatures. The heat the oil up to a certain temperature, some portion of the oil boils off into a still (much like making moonshine) and becomes gasoline. Then they raise the temperature and more stuff boils off, but that becomes kerosene or whatever.

You don't have to read it, but look at the picture. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_refinery

Here's a headline from my Congressman from 3 days ago, with the story linked below it. They are proposing legislation called the "No More Excuses Energy Act."

Kuhl Outlines Plan For $2 A Gallon Gasoline

http://kuhl.house.gov/News/DocumentSingle....ocumentID=94423

Two really nice excerpts:

"The No More Excuses Energy Act was originally introduced in July 2007, but the Democratic leadership refused to bring the legislation to the floor for a vote. Last week, Congressman Tim Walberg (R-MI) introduced a discharge petition which would force the legislation to the floor for a vote."

So it's not like Congress hasn't tried. It's that tree-huggers have always been in the ear of the Democrats, but...

?In a Rasmussen survey released today, 67% of Americans support offshore drilling and 64% expect it will lower gas prices. Americans know that increasing production of American made energy is going to lower gas prices and we can do this effectively without damaging the environment. We must act now and pass the No More Excuses Energy Act and the Republican Energy Agenda,? said Kuhl.

If 67% of Americans support drilling and the resulting drop in gas prices, 67% percent of the a-holes that vote against this should be voted out of office this fall. I am tired of the minority bitching about stuff and having their views supported, while I take it up the a$$.

Here's a headline from my Congressman from 3 days ago, with the story linked below it. They are proposing legislation called the "No More Excuses Energy Act."

Kuhl Outlines Plan For $2 A Gallon Gasoline

:lol: I'm loathe to bring politics onto this board, but what is Kuhl's plan to curb Chinese demand for the oil that we will allow private corporations to drill for? If private corporations drill it, it is not national supply, but worldwide supply. And like it or not, the Chinese will have $1 trillion US dollars to buy the oil futures before steel ever hits dirt.

$2 a gallon :lol:

:lol: I'm loathe to bring politics onto this board, but what is Kuhl's plan to curb Chinese demand for the oil that we will allow private corporations to drill for? If private corporations drill it, it is not national supply, but worldwide supply. And like it or not, the Chinese will have $1 trillion US dollars to buy the oil futures before steel ever hits dirt.

Well then there would have to be a provision only allowing to drill for American useage..Thats the only reason they should alllow them to pollute our air..I dont care about the CHinese or any other country for that matter..We should be doing whats best for us..

An earlier poster mentioned that because of the OPEC cartel, Smith's Economics do not apply. They do, they just prevent supply and demand from working under a free market. With our own supply of oil (or even a threat of having an alternative or our own supply) the supply curve will shift. The global demand will not change just because of a supply curve shift.

The Chinese can buy oil futures, but if there is more supply and stable demand, the price of oil will drop. I don't understand why you think the Chinese would buy oil futures.

An earlier poster mentioned that because of the OPEC cartel, Smith's Economics do not apply. They do, they just prevent supply and demand from working under a free market. With our own supply of oil (or even a threat of having an alternative or our own supply) the supply curve will shift. The global demand will not change just because of a supply curve shift.

The Chinese can buy oil futures, but if there is more supply and stable demand, the price of oil will drop. I don't understand why you think the Chinese would buy oil futures.

The Chinese demand is rising by about 12% a year - so Chinese refiners need crude.

They are also hoping to build a 100 million barrel reserve by 2010.

The part I'm laughing at is not the supply/demand curve. It is the $2 a gallon idea.

A barrel of oil makes about 20 gal of gas.

That would mean oil would return to something like $50 a barrel to get a retail price of $2/gal gasoline.

Whether or not they buy oil futures is irrelevent. The fact that just on news of China raising fuel prices, oil futures dropped $5. That means that their demand effects or supply. And how dare those Chinese wanting a Middle class. It's not just gas that's going to be expensive soon. Darnnit...that's my coffee maker and TV. Keep your hands off!

The Chinese demand is rising by about 12% a year - so Chinese refiners need crude.

They are also hoping to build a 100 million barrel reserve by 2010.

The part I'm laughing at is not the supply/demand curve. It is the $2 a gallon idea.

A barrel of oil makes about 20 gal of gas.

That would mean oil would return to something like $50 a barrel to get a retail price of $2/gal gasoline.

The link to Kuhl's website/press release does a pretty nice job of showing how to get to $2/ barrel. Is it 100% accurate; I highly doubt it. But it will certainly drop the price of gas by more than the reports claiming $.75 with 5-10 years to realize it. Who the hell is their economist??? Funny how the $.75 drop in 5-10 years was plastered all over the news and you have to dig to find out that House Republicans are trying to pass a bill to allow drilling. There's no media bias, is there???

The link to Kuhl's website/press release does a pretty nice job of showing how to get to $2/ barrel. Is it 100% accurate; I highly doubt it. But it will certainly drop the price of gas by more than the reports claiming $.75 with 5-10 years to realize it. Who the hell is their economist??? Funny how the $.75 drop in 5-10 years was plastered all over the news and you have to dig to find out that House Republicans are trying to pass a bill to allow drilling. There's no media bias, is there???

That's because the House Republicans trying to pass a bill to allow drilling isn't news. They are always trying to do that. :nana:

With the dollar depreciating, worldwide demand, and drilling like no tomorrow, I don't suspect that we will ever see crude under $100 again.

Kuhl is in an election year. That he has that on his website is an embarrassment to the district.

Just dumb, IMO.

Follow my drilling plan and oil will drop $85 a barrel. Just asinine and irresponsible.

I miss Amo.

With the dollar depreciating, worldwide demand, and drilling like no tomorrow, I don't suspect that we will ever see crude under $100 again.

Kuhl is in an election year. That he has that on his website is an embarrassment to the district.

Just dumb, IMO.

Follow my drilling plan and oil will drop $85 a barrel. Just asinine and irresponsible.

I miss Amo.

I'd expect to see it under $100 again, but not anytime in the near (read next 2 years) future.

Back in the mid-80's when it was going to $40 I never thought it would go back to $12 but it did. (And NO, I don't expect to ever see that again.)

It would have been very interesting in hindsight to see what, if any, effect the U.S. (and Europe) having propped oil up toward the $18-24/barrel range when it was on its way below the teens by filling up the SPR with actual cheap oil would have been. When oil was in the $30-40 range, I was pretty well convinced that it would have kept OPEC from regaining its resolve. Now that we're $100 beyond that, I'm not so certain anymore.

I'd expect to see it under $100 again, but not anytime in the near (read next 2 years) future.

Back in the mid-80's when it was going to $40 I never thought it would go back to $12 but it did. (And NO, I don't expect to ever see that again.)

It would have been very interesting in hindsight to see what, if any, effect the U.S. (and Europe) having propped oil up toward the $18-24/barrel range when it was on its way below the teens by filling up the SPR with actual cheap oil would have been. When oil was in the $30-40 range, I was pretty well convinced that it would have kept OPEC from regaining its resolve. Now that we're $100 beyond that, I'm not so certain anymore.

I've seen some articles suggesting that OPEC (especially the Saudis) realize that these oil prices are hurting the global economies and that they believe the price should be between $50 - 85/barrel. I've also seen a lot of speculation that this is an oil bubble, similar to the housing bubble, dot com bust and credit crunch.

I really don't know what to think - I have little experience and education in economics, so all I can do is read other people's articles and opinions and try not to panic when one guys says it's going to get worse and try not to get too excited when another says prices will drop $40/barrel in the near future.

A couple of nukes dropped on India and China will dramatically decrease worldwide demand.

I'm just saying... :ph34r:

And a run on radiation detectors... Cause and effect...

• 1 month later...

Nobody's talked about this for awhile, so I thought it was worth mentioning that since oil has dropped almost $25 in the past 3 weeks, gas where I live has gone down from 3.97 to 3.65.

It's not 1.50/gal, but at least there's some respite from the pressure and demand. Now maybe we can pray for lower diesel fuel prices, so that everything may not cost so much at the stores. After all, name one thing that doesn't get shipped by truck or rail.

How are prices for the rest of you?

A couple of nukes dropped on India and China will dramatically decrease worldwide demand.

I'm just saying... :ph34r:

Not to worry... Just about everyone around the world has been cutting back on needless travelling.

Good news for consumers, bad news for oil investors and speculators. It could be worse, though. Does anyone rember when oil went from 20 to 15 dollars back in the 1980's? Just about everything related to the petroleum industry went belly-up from Calgary to Houston. I don't think we'll ever see it get that low again, but it sure is fun to reminisce about it.

Nobody's talked about this for awhile, so I thought it was worth mentioning that since oil has dropped almost $25 in the past 3 weeks, gas where I live has gone down from 3.97 to 3.65.

It's not 1.50/gal, but at least there's some respite from the pressure and demand. Now maybe we can pray for lower diesel fuel prices, so that everything may not cost so much at the stores. After all, name one thing that doesn't get shipped by truck or rail.

How are prices for the rest of you?

Coal, grain, and a whole bunch of newer stuff is being seen (especially manufactured goods). I just saw about 18,000 TON of the stuff come through on the first half of my shift via the water... Sure you need diesel to power the towbaost that push the barges, but a hell of a lot less than on the road or rail!

:nana:

Compare

I know where I'm getting gas today! Thanks for the tip. :worthy:

What are you rejoicing about?

It gets jacked up to almost 5 bucks and then a bone gets thrown out at under 4 and people are singing glory be to God!

8 years ago I was paying around a buck a gallon across the border in Indiana... Now $3.82 near my home in Illinois.

<_<

What are you rejoicing about?

It gets jacked up to almost 5 bucks and then a bone gets thrown out at under 4 and people are singing glory be to God!

8 years ago I was paying around a buck a gallon across the border in Indiana... Now $3.82 near my home in Illinois.

<_<

When you drive a Suburban, you'll take what you can get. lol

Archived