[OT] Gas Prices

Guest Sloth

It seems Operation "Make them wish for $3 Gas" is running full steam ahead:

I used to say, 'Leave it to the Bush Adminstration to make 2.50/gal gas look good'.

I guess I'll have to update my saying.

I was in London recently, if you think we have pain at the pump, head to Europe.

Guest Sloth
I used to say, 'Leave it to the Bush Adminstration to make 2.50/gal gas look good'.

I guess I'll have to update my saying.

I was in London recently, if you think we have pain at the pump, head to Europe.

When compared to the US dollar, isn't Europe paying roughly 8.32 a gallon?

When compared to the US dollar, isn't Europe paying roughly 8.32 a gallon?

They are paying anywhere from 6 dollar to 12 dollar depending on what country you are in.

I think gas won't stop at 4.15 a gallon its gonna get around 5 I think. I am starting to feel that the people want to push the price as high as they can before the gover. steps in and see what they can get away with.

They are paying anywhere from 6 dollar to 12 dollar depending on what country you are in.

I think gas won't stop at 4.15 a gallon its gonna get around 5 I think. I am starting to feel that the people want to push the price as high as they can before the gover. steps in and see what they can get away with.

Do you mean 6-12 per liter?

Somewhere in the area of 4.15 - 4.30

We're driving up to Buffalo for the 4th of July weekend, I'm debating if we're gonna take our Grand Caravan or Elantra. It cost me $75 to fill the van up in Buffalo on memorial day weekend.

Guest Sloth
Do you mean 6-12 per liter?

No, when did the conversion they put it into gallons to give people a better understanding of what Europe is paying and what we are paying.

Gas was $3.88 here yesterday, now $3.99 less than 24 hours later.

What irks me is that when a barrel goes up 4 dollars why does my gas go up 12 cents a gallon..I would like to know how many gallons a barrel of oil makes...ITS ALL GREED NOW!!!!!

What irks me is that when a barrel goes up 4 dollars why does my gas go up 12 cents a gallon..I would like to know how many gallons a barrel of oil makes...ITS ALL GREED NOW!!!!!

I thought I saw the number 42 somewhere, but that might have been something else...

But you're right, I really like the "oil went up a buck, gas prices jump 20 cents, but when oil falls $10 it takes 6 weeks to drop those 20 cents" situations...

I thought I saw the number 42 somewhere, but that might have been something else...

But you're right, I really like the "oil went up a buck, gas prices jump 20 cents, but when oil falls $10 it takes 6 weeks to drop those 20 cents" situations...

My gosh, if its 42 then no wonder they posted 36billion in first qtr profits..Secondary to NYS charges 5% tax so everytime it goes up they make more on taxes..My blood is boiling a little more..I drive 1200 miles every week..I am geting killed..I have 4 kids and I buy a seasons pass to Darien LAke every year..This year I cant afford it..

Let me preface this by saying the price of gas sucks and it is a racket ... I am not saying it's no big deal ...

But isn't it funny how gas is made from oil, of which everyone agrees we have a finite amount on this planet ... we are going to run out, eventually ... so that alone makes it valuable ... when you add our ridiculous dependence into the equation, they could charge us just about anything ... yet we bitch about $4 a gallon ...

At the same time ... we willingly pay $7 for a pitcher of beer ... or hell, $7 for a CUP of beer at a game ... we're NEVER running out of beer ... it can't possibly cost more to make than gasoline, can it? So why do we pay $7 for less than half a gallon of beer when we are bitching about $4 for a whole gallon of one of the planet's most valuable resources?!?!?

The point? We need cheaper beer, !

Let me preface this by saying the price of gas sucks and it is a racket ... I am not saying it's no big deal ...

But isn't it funny how we gas is made from oil, of which everyone agrees we have a finite amount on this planet ... we are going to run out, eventually ... so that alone makes it valuable ... when you add our ridiculous dependence into the equation, they could charge us just about anything ... yet we bitch about $4 a gallon ...

At the same time ... we willingly pay $7 for a pitcher of beer ... or hell, $7 for a CUP of beer at a game ... we're NEVER running out of beer ... it can't possibly cost more to make than gasoline, can it? So why do we pay $7 for less than half a gallon of beer when we are bitching about $4 for a whole gallon of one of the planet's most valuable resources?!?!?

Or how bout a 1.59 for a liter of Poland Spring water..

I guess the difference between beer and gas is If I drank as much beer as I use gas I wouldnt complain..But I need fuel to survive where as all the other items you posted I can choose to use or not...This effects all of us not just the drinkers..

My gosh, if its 42 then no wonder they posted 36billion in first qtr profits..Secondary to NYS charges 5% tax so everytime it goes up they make more on taxes..My blood is boiling a little more..I drive 1200 miles every week..I am geting killed..I have 4 kids and I buy a seasons pass to Darien LAke every year..This year I cant afford it..

And I'm sure next April I'll still have to pay the state over 200 bucks in taxes.

Correction...it looks like the barrels hold 42 gallons of oil, and upon refining the crude oil we get about 19.5 gallons of gasoline, and a bunch of other stuff.

LINK

Correction...it looks like the barrels hold 42 gallons of oil, and upon refining the crude oil we get about 19.5 gallons of gasoline, and a bunch of other stuff.

LINK

So maybe instead of new energy sources we should be researching how to refine crude oil better so we can get more than 45ish% of gasoline from it. Cuz you know the Government and Oil Industry is going to try to destroy anything that does away with the use of oil. Hence the reason we have hybrids now instead of those other things we had for about a year. What were they called? Electric car?

But isn't it funny how gas is made from oil, of which everyone agrees we have a finite amount on this planet ... we are going to run out, eventually ... so that alone makes it valuable ... when you add our ridiculous dependence into the equation, they could charge us just about anything ... yet we bitch about $4 a gallon ...

Another point:

If someone could just retrofit the seat in my car and turn all the gas I have after drinking 5 big beers, two pretzels and a nacho with salsa and extra jalapenos at the game into something that runs my car I could drive all the way to Portland to see the Pirates the next day without a fill-up. Well, maybe one roller dog to fill up along the way.

Another point:

If someone could just retrofit the seat in my car and turn all the gas I have after drinking 5 big beers, two pretzels and a nacho with salsa and extra jalapenos at the game into something that runs my car I could drive all the way to Portland to see the Pirates the next day without a fill-up. Well, maybe one roller dog to fill up along the way.

Welcome to the board, but that's just gross. :sick:

So maybe instead of new energy sources we should be researching how to refine crude oil better so we can get more than 45ish% of gasoline from it. Cuz you know the Government and Oil Industry is going to try to destroy anything that does away with the use of oil. Hence the reason we have hybrids now instead of those other things we had for about a year. What were they called? Electric car?

What I am wondering is if they can only get 19.5 gallons out because of the process, or if they decide to use the rest to make the other stuff:

gasoline 19.5

distillate fuel oil 9.2 (Includes both home heating oil and diesel fuel)

kerosene-type jet fuel 4.1

residual fuel oil

(Heavy oils used as fuels in industry, marine transportation and for

electric power generation) 2.3

liquefied refinery gasses 1.9

still gas 1.9

coke 1.8

asphalt and road oil 1.3

petrochemical feedstocks 1.2

lubricants 0.5

kerosene 0.2

other 0.3 (kerosene)