Leafs wanted Regier...

RayFinkle

Interesting story from Fan 590, Howard Berger

...The third person might surprise you -- Regier.

Buffalo's general manager for the past 11 years was refused permission by owner Tom Golisano to speak with Peddie. Like Burke, Regier has only one year remaining on his current pact. Given his tenure with the Sabres, he is among the lowest-paid GMs in the league (reportedly $900,000 a season), and he'd stand to almost triple that figure in Toronto. The frosty relationship between Regier and Golisano could well end once Regier's contract is up in July, 2009. If not, beforehand. Though Regier took his share of blame for allowing Daniel Briere and Chris Drury to skip town last summer -- thus wrenching the heart out of an exceptional Buffalo club -- it was clearly Golisano's misstep.

Prior to the 2006-07 season, Regier desperately wanted to lock up each player in a long-term agreement. He proposed hefty salary increases for his two best forwards, knowing how important they were to the team. But, Golisano wasn't convinced they were worth Regier's price-tag. It proved to be a greivous miscalculation. The value of Briere and Drury skyrocketed during the '06-07 campaign, in which Buffalo won the Presidents' Trophy with a league-best 113 points. Briere, alone, could have been signed -- in October, 2006 -- for virtually half of the $10-million per season he garnered in free agency with Philadelphia. Instead, both men left Buffalo (Drury for the Rangers), and the Sabres plummeted out of playoff contention this past season.

It should not be a blight on Regier's name. Or his record. Though the Sabres have not won the Stanley Cup, he has simply been one of the top executives in the NHL the past decade. During his tenure, the Sabres have drafted Maxim Afinogenov, Brian Campbell, Dmitri Kalinin, Ales Kotalik, Ryan Miller, Paul Gaustad, Derek Roy, Jason Pominville, Thomas Vanek, Clarke MacArthur and Drew Stafford -- all of whom have either made significant contributions in Buffalo, or are expected to. The necessity to trade Campbell to San Jose was directly tied in with the club's freefall in the absence of Briere and Drury.

When Briere was struggling in Phoenix during the 2002-03 season, Regier had the prescience to trade for him, giving up journeyman forward Chris Gratton. He pilfered Drury from Calgary for Rhett Warrener and Steve Reinprecht in July of '03. Another sound acquisition was forward Jochen Hecht from Edmonton in an exchange of draft picks in July, 2002.

Small error:

Briere, alone, could have been signed -- in October, 2006 -- for virtually half of the $10-million per season he garnered in free agency with Philadelphia.

Or, 4/5 of the $6.5 million per year that he actually got. It may have been front-loaded ($10 million in only the first year), but I doubt the Flyers would have given him a $10 million per year contract. In fact, had his contract been $10 million per year, they would have been in sersious cap trouble since they only had $1.166 million with his $6.5 million hit.

Didn't know the relationship was and is, "Frosty". From this article looks like Darcy is a genius for all his finds. But how come Tom G, has become such a cheap ass?? I think when Tom first took over for the Sabres, Darcy convinced him the first thing he needed to do was to pay Satan alot of dough. That backfired as we all know, and then Tom got shellshocked for the price of these guys. Now he's cheap, when its evident this team needs some vets or solid guys who are worth their money.

Small error:

Or, 4/5 of the $6.5 million per year that he actually got. It may have been front-loaded ($10 million in only the first year), but I doubt the Flyers would have given him a $10 million per year contract. In fact, had his contract been $10 million per year, they would have been in sersious cap trouble since they only had $1.166 million with his $6.5 million hit.

Another small error. The $5 for 5 wasn't available in October. That was the July special and didn't look that special at the time. After the arbitrator ruled, Arby's was closed, and the price to the Sabres was $5MM for 1 year and they couldn't try to extend it until Jan 1.

Another small error. The $5 for 5 wasn't available in October. That was the July special and didn't look that special at the time. After the arbitrator ruled, Arby's was closed, and the price to the Sabres was $5MM for 1 year and they couldn't try to extend it until Jan 1.

You're right. I think the real question is, did Darcy want to pay the 5 for 5 in July and it was Golisano who did not want to pay that?

It's an interesting read, but it's a blog on a rumors page and needs to be taken as such. That, too, a rumors page run by Eklund and everyone know his credibility around these parts. Regardless, I don't know how much there is to that article, but I would not be surprised if Darcy opts out after this season and does not re-up with Buffalo if he has a frosty relationship with Golisano. Paving the way for LQ's good buddy Neil Smith taking over as GM. Personally, Howard Berger really sort of paints the picture a lot of us have had in our minds around here in that Darcy was trying his best to keep this team really competitive and that Golisano and his proxy of Larry Quinn prevented it from happening. I think one thing that Howard Berger raises is that he pins everything on Golisano while the many of us here have pinned this on Quinn because he's generally a sleazy guy and did all the talking in the press conferences last year. Perhaps Quinn was doing all the talking for Golisano and really is just Golisano's PR guy? I'm not sure, but it would not surprise me as I tend to think Darcy is a pretty good hockey guy overall even though he's made mistakes prior to this regime and during this regime, but generally I am of the opinion that the Briere and Drury thing was a higher decision than one made by Darcy, but I don't have much proof beyond what I read from "inside NHL circles."

You're right. I think the real question is, did Darcy want to pay the 5 for 5 in July and it was Golisano who did not want to pay that?

It's an interesting read, but it's a blog on a rumors page and needs to be taken as such. That, too, a rumors page run by Eklund and everyone know his credibility around these parts. Regardless, I don't know how much there is to that article, but I would not be surprised if Darcy opts out after this season and does not re-up with Buffalo if he has a frosty relationship with Golisano. Paving the way for LQ's good buddy Neil Smith taking over as GM. Personally, Howard Berger really sort of paints the picture a lot of us have had in our minds around here in that Darcy was trying his best to keep this team really competitive and that Golisano and his proxy of Larry Quinn prevented it from happening. I think one thing that Howard Berger raises is that he pins everything on Golisano while the many of us here have pinned this on Quinn because he's generally a sleazy guy and did all the talking in the press conferences last year. Perhaps Quinn was doing all the talking for Golisano and really is just Golisano's PR guy? I'm not sure, but it would not surprise me as I tend to think Darcy is a pretty good hockey guy overall even though he's made mistakes prior to this regime and during this regime, but generally I am of the opinion that the Briere and Drury thing was a higher decision than one made by Darcy, but I don't have much proof beyond what I read from "inside NHL circles."

I didn't read the blog and don't know the answer to your initial question.

I do know that the guy who didn't react quick enough on the Drury deal was Golisano.

Quinn isn't just a figure-head or PR guy but it appears final say on money matters is Golisano's.

Darcy is a very good GM. There are a few that I think are better, but I don't see anyone currently available that wants the job who'd be better. I will not be happy if Darcy leaves town when his current deal is up.

I do know that the guy who didn't react quick enough on the Drury deal was Golisano.

Quinn isn't just a figure-head or PR guy but it appears final say on money matters is Golisano's.

Darcy is a very good GM. There are a few that I think are better, but I don't see anyone currently available that wants the job who'd be better. I will not be happy if Darcy leaves town when his current deal is up.

The way that I see it is, Golisano is the bank, Quinn is the teller and Regier is the guy b#$%hing that he got charged 25 dollars in overdraft and late fees when he made the payment on time.

If that makes sense.

No initial question. You had mentioned that the 5 for 5 was not available to them in October but only available to them in July and then they could only re-sign Briere starting Jan 1st as he was awarded a one year contract in arbitration. I was not disagreeing with you. My question really was (and not to you specifically, just generally) did Darcy want to sign Briere at 5 for 5 and it was Golisano that prevented this from happening as per what the blog indicates.

I agree with you completely here. Darcy has made some mistakes, and we all know them, but if you look at his track record in terms of trades and draft picks, there are few better than him in my opinion. This is why I tend to believe that some of these salary/payroll decisions regarding Briere and Drury were made over his head and that he has been handcuffed since Golisano and Quinn came to town and before that when the NHL had control of the team during bankruptcy. I think we can all say that he's done a pretty fabulous job of building a team on a tight budget going on about 6-7 years. Imagine what he could do if he was at a bigger market like Toronto? The only guy I could give more props to than Darcy might be Poile and Trotz out in Nashville for what they accomplished this year making the playoffs after their team this year was decimated.

I would also caution against painting this writer with the same brush as Eklund. As we've seen on other sites there can be very good and very bad writers working for the same media outlet.

The real proof is going to be in the pudding when it comes time for Darcy and Lindy to re-up. Will they have enough confidence in upper management's commitment to re-sign? Is there enough of a professional work relationship between Darcy/Lindy and Quinny/Golly to continue working together?

If there is any truth to the article and the relationship between Darcy and upper management, we might have the makings of a power struggle on our hands. Going one step further - if Quinn stays and Regier goes, I believe it hurts this franchise.

Those are the same exact thoughts that came to mind when I read the first post. Darcy has done a great job while here and hopefully he will be around for many more years.

I'm still trying to figure out what your name was before the Crash...

I was only on for about a week so for all intents and purposes it's SwampD. My only point was that I'm no saint, and I've blushed many a time reading a Spandex post.

:blush:

I believe Berger on this one.

But how much to make of it? The Leafs are conducting the worldwide search and are about to go to

the draft in 16 days without a coach or GM. Toronto does hockey right. ;)

looks like the ex-sharks coach is coming into Toronto today and will be hired as the new coach

AS for Regier, Personally I would be all for letting him go to Toronto and prove he is such a hockey genius. If he thinks the backlash for losing Drury or Briere was bad from Sabres fans, try having something like that happen in Toronto................

looks like the ex-sharks coach is coming into Toronto today and will be hired as the new coach

AS for Regier, Personally I would be all for letting him go to Toronto and prove he is such a hockey genius. If he thinks the backlash for losing Drury or Briere was bad from Sabres fans, try having something like that happen in Toronto................

He would have to acquire such a player like Drury or Briere, and as far as I can tell, aside from maybe Tomas Kaberle, they really do not have a single player that matches the importance that both Drury and Briere had in Buffalo. Sundin's a UFA and doesn't even look to be coming back. And, let's not forget that in order for Drury and Briere to have left, they must have been acquired by Buffalo, which is what Darcy did. I'm not sure if you read the initial blog in the first place, but the blog from Howard Berger indicates based on his "inside knowledge" that Golisano was the one preventing the re-signing of Drury and Briere not Darcy. Unless there is a memoir or a tell all book, we will never truly know, but I tend to agree with Berger.

Honestly, I feel like only in the first 3-4 years of his tenure at Buffalo did we see what he was really capable of such as keeping Hasek and Satan, acquiring Barnes, Warrener, Gilmour, Dumont, and other players. Frankly, to this day, I still side with Darcy on the Peca holdout. To this day, a third line defensive forward is not worth $2.5 million/year. Wasn't worth it then and isn't worth it now. But, even then Rigas still had a target payroll and continually lost money on the operations of the Sabres by paying only Hasek and underpaying everyone else. If Darcy went to a team without a budget and could spend to the salary cap every year, we'd really see what Darcy is truly capable of, and I still don't feel like we've seen his true capability at all during his tenure in Buffalo.

Archived