Gerbe Signs

tom webster

I'm not shocked, but I'm very surprised by this. Something must have clicked over the weekend. Maybe the training camp for the world championship convinced him.

Don't put past the possibility that management's desire to stick it to the News sped this process up. It would be ridiculous to suggest that they signed him for this reason, but it wouldn't surprise me to know that the News sped the process up.

LINK

Sabres Sign Gerbe

Greg Bauch Reporting

greg@wgr550.com

The Buffalo Sabres have signed Defenseman Nathan Gerbe. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Gerbe helped Boston College win the NCAA Championship over Notre Dame this season. The Junior was the runner-up for the Hobey Baker award for best Collegiate player. Gerbe had 5 goals and 3 assists in the Frozen Four.

That's great news. Hopefully, after his 2nd year on the team, management won't give him a 7 year contract worth $49 million. (Not trying to be negative, but I don't want to see lightning strike twice).

First Butler, now little Nate..up next: Kennedy..

That new AHL team is going to be STOCKED next season --- wherever they play, the fans will be in for a treat..

Don't put past the possibility that management's desire to stick it to the News sped this process up. It would be ridiculous to suggest that they signed him for this reason, but it wouldn't surprise me to know that the News sped the process up.

You are kidding, right? The Sabres sign players because the Buffalo News tells them to? Give me a break.

That or Vogl's timing was absolutely horrible. You actually want to suggest that they worked out a contract just hours after reading Vogl's story?

That or Vogl's timing was absolutely horrible. You actually want to suggest that they worked out a contract just hours after reading Vogl's story?

It takes about five minutes to negotiate a deal. No matter how you feel about him you know the money is between 675K and 850K. All the other clause are standard. How long do you think it takes once you decide to get it done.

:death:

You are kidding, right?

i fear not.

You actually want to suggest that they worked out a contract just hours after reading Vogl's story?

i fear so.

You are kidding, right? The Sabres sign players because the Buffalo News tells them to? Give me a break.

I don't believe in coincidences. I didn't say they signed him because of the News. I suggested that it may have sped the process up. There couldn't have been more then a $175 difference between the offers.

It takes about five minutes to negotiate a deal. No matter how you feel about him you know the money is between 675K and 850K. All the other clause are standard. How long do you think it takes once you decide to get it done.

If it is so easy then why all the freakin panic that it was not done YESTERDAY! the sky was falling because they were not even IN CONCTACT, remember? If all it takes is one call, why did they need to be "in contact?"

I still don't think this kid is a sure thing, but I laughed my ass off when my brother just called me and told me this because of all the time we wasted on it this week ...

I don't believe in coincidences. I didn't say they signed him because of the News. I suggested that it may have sped the process up. There couldn't have been more then a $175 difference between the offers.

I still can't believe you think a newspaper had anything to do with this signing. You think Quinn and Regier read the paper this morning and said we better get this signed now? Unbelievable!!

Don't you think it was simply a matter of Gerbe finally making his decision and, as you suggested, the Sabres and his agent took the requisite 5 minutes to hammer it out? Simple as that. The News had NOTHING to do with it.

GO BILLS!!!

If it is so easy then why all the freakin panic that it was not done YESTERDAY! the sky was falling because they were not even IN CONCTACT, remember? If all it takes is one call, why did they need to be "in contact?"

I still don't think this kid is a sure thing, but I laughed my ass off when my brother just called me and told me this because of all the time we wasted on it this week ...

The fact that it was so simple is exactly the point. By all accounts, Gerbe and Kennedy were the only two high profile players left dangling. Why? To save $50K on the the first two years?

The fact that it was so simple is exactly the point. By all accounts, Gerbe and Kennedy were the only two high profile players left dangling. Why? To save $50K on the the first two years?

Go read the other thread. Gerbe and Kennedy were not the only high profile players left dangling. I have no idea where you're getting that from.

Don't you think it was simply a matter of Gerbe finally making his decision and, as you suggested, the Sabres and his agent took the requisite 5 minutes to hammer it out? Simple as that. The News had NOTHING to do with it.

GO BILLS!!!

That's possible, perhaps even probable. I will be willing to bet that both sids knew each other's number, Gerbe knew he wantede to sign, and one side either blinked or they compromised. I did not say that the News definitely had an effect, just floated the possibility. Maybe some people just need to read a little better and understand that differences of opinion is usually the start of the best conversations.

Tom -- posted and admitted like a man. But I would give the Sabres credit for getting it done professionally without implying that the News jolted them out of their normal incompetent fog.

In any case, it would be pretty sweet if the kid is another Flutie type.

That's possible, perhaps even probable. I will be willing to bet that both sids knew each other's number, Gerbe knew he wantede to sign, and one side either blinked or they compromised. I did not say that the News definitely had an effect, just floated the possibility. Maybe some people just need to read a little better and understand that differences of opinion is usually the start of the best conversations.

Agreed. And differences of opinion often END the WORST of conversations.

GO SABRES!!!

Dude, I know it doesn't fit your conspiracy theory, but did you ever think this whole time we were bitching they WERE actually doing it? Do they need to give us play-by-play of every negotiation? isn't it remotely possible that they were not "dangling" but in the process of getting signed? I mean, the evidence is the fact that the kid is indeed signed now. I really thought you were one of the level-headed ones but if you really think they did nothing before today and got it done in 4 hours just to screw a newspaper (which is not going anywhere, so what are they gaining), I have to re-think that opinion,.

First Butler, now little Nate..up next: Kennedy..

That new AHL team is going to be STOCKED next season --- wherever they play, the fans will be in for a treat..

They still have a ways to go in terms of stocking their own AHL team...

Hunter

Mancari(FA??)

Zagrapan

Kennedy(unsigned as of right now)

Gerbe

Kaleta(may be full-time with the Sabres)

MacArthur(may be full-time with the Sabres)

Gogulla

Schutz(unsigned as of right now)

Gragnani

Butler

Funk

Weber

Card

Dennis

Enroth(unsigned as of right now)

Best case scenario...The Sabres will need to sign 5 or 6 players to fill out the roster.

Worst case scenario(from an AHL perspective)...Kaleta, Weber & MacArthur are all with the Sabres at the start of next year and the Sabres will need to sign 8 or 9 players to fill out the AHL roster.

Archived