Hurricanes miss the playoffs - AGAIN!

SCSabresFan!

This made me alittle happy...

RALEIGH, N.C. -- The stage was set for the Carolina Hurricanes to cruise back into the playoffs. They were playing their regular-season finale in front of a rowdy bunch of Caniacs, needed a victory against a Florida team that hadn't won in Raleigh in more than five-plus years and even jumped out to an early lead.

Then the Panthers came back with a vengeance. And when Carolina couldn't conjure up yet another third-period rally against them, its best chance to return to the postseason was dashed.

That disheartening 4-3 loss to the nothing-to-play-for Panthers on Friday night -- coupled with the coup de grace, Washington's 3-1 victory against Florida on Saturday night -- has the Hurricanes out of the playoffs for the second straight year since winning the Stanley Cup in 2006. Instead, the Southeast Division, the No. 3 seed and the last spot in the Eastern Conference went to the Capitals.

I'm glad. I hate Laviolette (I wonder if the new board after the crash automatically spells his name Labialette. Admins, what's up with that anyway?) Maybe he'll get fired, but I doubt it. It's tough to fire a coach two years removed from a Stanley Cup. I think part of it is that Brind'amour is out. But, it doesn't matter, they played awful down the stretch and the Caps were on fire.

George McPhee just saved his job, and Bruce Boudreau certainly should be winning the Jack Adams Trophy this year. There's no one else it could possibly go to in my opinion. He took a downtrodden team with a culture of losing under the last 2 coaches and turned them around into a playoff team and division winner. McPhee made some great trades to get Huet and Federov and Backstrom has played really well. And of course there's AO who is the best player in the NHL. That's great for the Caps. If only they could do something about their broadcasters, man I hate Joe Beninati and Craig Laughlin.

If Washington can get Huet resigned... they will be even more dangerous next year. Ovechkin(as much as I hate him) is a beast, Semin and Backstrom are also very talented... Helps being a bottom feeder for a few years...

I only read the first couple of lines and I feel much better. I don't know, something like "they were playing their regular-season finale in front of a rowdy bunch of Caniacs" just has to bring a smile to your face.

Anyways... what's with all of the Buffalo Ovechkin hate? Have I forgotten about a hit or something?

I only read the first couple of lines and I feel much better. I don't know, something like "they were playing their regular-season finale in front of a rowdy bunch of Caniacs" just has to bring a smile to your face.

Anyways... what's with all of the Buffalo Ovechkin hate? Have I forgotten about a hit or something?

just the briere hit from behind into the boards. even though briere is gone people still associate hate somehow.

just the briere hit from behind into the boards. even though briere is gone people still associate hate somehow.

Granted, that hit sucked, because it was cheap regardless of who received it. But, I made amends last year when Buffalo was destroying Washington, and every time AO touched the puck, he got booed. Well, he picked up the puck, went the length of the ice and scored. When he placed his hand to his ear (to listen to the crowd) and skated in celebration, I could not help but laugh. The dude is good!

(Kind of reminded me YEARS ago, when Dion Sanders returned a punt/kick for a TD, and high stepped the final 20 yards into the end zone. As much as I hated him, for some reason, that move took away some of the hate.)

Granted, that hit sucked, because it was cheap regardless of who received it. But, I made amends last year when Buffalo was destroying Washington, and every time AO touched the puck, he got booed. Well, he picked up the puck, went the length of the ice and scored. When he placed his hand to his ear (to listen to the crowd) and skated in celebration, I could not help but laugh. The dude is good!

(Kind of reminded me YEARS ago, when Dion Sanders returned a punt/kick for a TD, and high stepped the final 20 yards into the end zone. As much as I hated him, for some reason, that move took away some of the hate.)

Paille made that exact shot a couple times this year too!

:lol: :lol:

This eases the sting of the Sabres not being in the playoffs some for me. I love it. I called two of my caniac friends this morning asking them how it feels for them to be on the outside looking in too. Neither of them even knew that the canes hadn't qualified for the playoffs! That tells you all you need to know about the majority of the fan base down here.

Ahhh... yeah, that jogged the memory, thanks. I kind of like watching the guy play.

I LOVE watching him play. He's the single most exciting player in the game today. He can play a finesse game or he can lay people out (did you see that hit on Begin?).

If he was Canadian, Ovie would be the darling of the leauge, not Crosby.

I'm glad that Washington made it in, they deserve it. They were pretty much written off at the beginning of the year by everyone, and they showed enough promise by the deadline that the GM had some faith and went out and brought in some help at the deadline to get them in. They didn't just give up and ride out the season

Ya know, thats not even the reason I hate him... Trust me I'd love to have him on the sabres, but I think its just because he is so damn good. Maybe its not hate but a bit a jealousy

Best part of the story, IMO:

RALEIGH - Their destiny controlled by others, their fate decided elsewhere, the Carolina Hurricanes fell out of the playoff hunt on the only day that matters, claiming a dubious place in NHL history in the process.

The Washington Capitals eliminated the Hurricanes on Saturday with a 3-1 win over the Florida Panthers, claiming the Southeast Division title and knocking the Canes out of the playoffs.

The Canes could have taken the division with a win over the Capitals on Tuesday or the Panthers on Friday. Instead, they lost both potential clinching games to become the first team ever to miss the playoffs two seasons in a row after winning the Stanley Cup.

LINK

If he was Canadian, Ovie would be the darling of the leauge, not Crosby.

I'm pretty sure that not being Canadian isn't the only reason ...

post-1053-1207533584_thumbjpg

I couldn't bring myself to post this pic, but for comparison, here's what came up in a search for Crosby:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f122/osh...idneyCrosby.jpg

Warning, don't look if you are less than comfortable with your own sexuality.

I'm pretty sure that not being Canadian isn't the only reason ...

Not for nothin' but I want my hockey players to look like hockey players. I want more spaces in their mouth than teeth, and a nose that has more bends than Christmas Tree Cookie Cutter.

Not for nothin' but I want my hockey players to look like hockey players. I want more spaces in their mouth than teeth, and a nose that has more bends than Christmas Tree Cookie Cutter.

Yeah, but you're already a hockey fan; they're trying to get new fans. Besides, I'm pretty sure OV would have an ugly mug even he had never played hockey.

:lol: :lol:

This eases the sting of the Sabres not being in the playoffs some for me. I love it. I called two of my caniac friends this morning asking them how it feels for them to be on the outside looking in too. Neither of them even knew that the canes hadn't qualified for the playoffs! That tells you all you need to know about the majority of the fan base down here.

I was at the game friday night and it was amazing how many wait till the playoffs start comments I was hearing on the way out the door. Inside I was smiling and laughing my arse off just hoping the caps would pick up a point. Many a times I wanated to turn around and say " Dork dont ya realize that if the caps get a point tomorrow your out of the playoffs?"

It was a great weekend, The canes got eliminated and the Tar Pukes tanked.

Archived