So Where Do We Go From Here?

SabresFan526

So, where do we go from here guys? Kalinin, Pratt, and Teppo are all UFAs. Gaustad, Bernier, and Paille are all RFAs. And, then there's the category of guys who underachieved this year but still have trade value like Kotalik, Max, Connolly, Paetsch, and Lydman. So what will this front office do? Will they even do anything?

As I see it, Kalinin and Teppo are gone for sure. I would not mind keeping Pratt. I want to keep all the RFAs. And we have too many under achieving forwards. We need to do something about that.

Key needs:

1. A top 4 defenseman who we can play against any team's top line and shut them down. Lydman and Tallinder just are not cutting it.

2. A PP QB from the blue line. We will be losing both Kalinin and lost Campbell. Sekera will be top 6 next year, but we need one more guy to run the PP, so I'm hoping they bring in a guy like Liles.

3. A 2nd line centerman. A guy who can win faceoffs, contribute offensively, and provide some leadership. We need some leadership to prevent these third period collapses. We need some leadership

Will this front office do anything? Will Darcy make any trades? Will he sign anyone? Is this the same team?

I think we have a pretty good, young team. We just need to fix some pieces and add some key elements on the blue line and this team is back in the playoffs.

Keep (13 players):

G Miller

D Spacek

D Tallinder

D Sekera

C Roy

C Gaustad

LW Vanek

LW Hecht

LW Paille

RW Pominville

RW Stafford

RW Bernier

RW Kaleta

Back to Minors (2 players):

D Funk

D Weber

Still Not Sure About (8 players):

D Lydman

D Paetsch

D Pratt

C Connolly

C Mair

LW MacArthur

LW Peters

RW Kotalik

Bye (5 players):

G Thibault

D Kalinin

D Numminen

C Ryan

RW Afinogenov

My Version:

Keep (16 players):

G Miller

D Spacek

D Tallinder

D Sekera

D Weber

D Pratt

C Roy

C Mair

C Gaustad

LW Vanek

LW Hecht

LW Paille

RW Pominville

RW Stafford

RW Bernier

RW Kaleta

Back to Minors (5 players):

C Ryan

D Funk

D Paetsch

LW MacArthur

LW Peters

Still Not Sure About (2 players):

D Numminen

D Lydman

Bye (5 players):

G Thibault

D Kalinin

C Connolly

RW Afinogenov

RW Kotalik

I like your format guys. Here's my version

Keep (15)

G Miller

D Spacek

D Weber

D Sekera

D Pratt

F Pominville

F Roy

F Vanek

F Hecht

F Gaustad

F Paille

F Bernier

F Kaleta

F Mair

F MacArthur

Not Sure About/Potential Trade Bait if we can get a nice return (5)

D Tallinder

D Lydman

D Paetsch

F Connolly

F Stafford

See Ya (7)

G Thibault

D Kalinin

D Teppo

F Kotalik

F Max

F Ryan

F Peters

So, where do we go from here guys? Kalinin, Pratt, and Teppo are all UFAs. Gaustad, Bernier, and Paille are all RFAs. And, then there's the category of guys who underachieved this year but still have trade value like Kotalik, Max, Connolly, Paetsch, and Lydman.

I agree with your post in that the sky-is-falling types somehow fail to see that there is a young, solid core of players who will only get better - Pommer, Roy, and Vanek (after he finally got going) played very well.

But I bolded part of your post because I'm thinking most of those guys didn't underachieve at all.

In 48 games Connelly had over 30 assists and potted 7 goals - numbers that are pretty solid for a playmaker. His health is a concern, but when he's on the ice the other team keeps an eye on him. He might be expendable because of his slew of injuries, but I don't see where he underachieved at all.

Ales has what, 23 goals and 20 assists? Not bad for a guy who saw most of his action on the lower lines. Yeah, his soft play (given his size) can be maddening, but he's not a grinder and never will be. But getting 20 and 20 out of a guy who spends much of time on the 4th line and PP isn't too bad IMO.

Lydman has over 20 assists - and while he was a little inconsistent at times (the whole team is guilty of that), he brings a veteran presence to the young blueline. I think they have to work a deal to keep him.

Paetsch will never be great, and he's certainly not an offensive defenseman, but he has improved over the past 2 seasons and I don't see a reason why that wouldn't continue.

Max is Max. If any of the guys you listed underachieved, it's Max. And while I tend to think of his low offensive numbers, I think his biggest problem is giveaways. Between his ill-advised blind passes or simply trying to do too much, he's as dangerous to Bflo as he is to his opponent. Who knows, maybe a change of scenery would serve him well.

I know that it's all opinion and there's no way to prove right or wrong when talking about this kind of stuff, but I'm not so sure it's fair to label all of those guys as underachieving - just my 2?...

I say Toni Lydman needs to go- it is time to get some solid defense rather than average D.

Keep (16 players):

G Miller

D Spacek

D Tallinder

D Sekera

D Weber

D Pratt

D Numminen

C Roy

C Mair

C Gaustad

LW Vanek

LW Hecht

LW Paille

RW Stafford

RW Bernier

RW Kaleta

Keep and resign to multi-year contract (1 player):

RW Pominville

Back to Minors (5 players):

C Ryan

D Funk

D Paetsch

LW MacArthur

LW Peters

Bye (6 players):

G Thibault

D Lydman

D Kalinin

C Connolly

RW Afinogenov

RW Kotalik

Some of you guys have 11 players leaving.

That kind of turnover rate is unheard of.

I don't think we're as far off as you think we are.

It's all about balance. Last year we had balance in everything.

This year we were very top heavy.

If we bring in

a.) a top 4 defensman that can play 20 minutes and on the PP. It doesn't have to be a star, just someone solid.

b.) A Selke like workman leadership type forward.

c.) A capable backup Goalie

Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to trading for these needs. But I don't think we need to get rid of 12 people. And you're kidding yourselves anyway if you think that's gonna happen.

What I would like to see is all the RFA's signed before the playoffs are over. On July 1, when they can start negotiating with next year's crop of FA's and RFA's get Milller and Pominville done. That will go a long way in sending a message to the league that the Sabres are not cheap, they will spend money but they will only spend it on the right players.

Then we target what we need in free agency, defensive defensman, a center that can win faceoffs and a gritty player or two. Can I be the first to say it this year, Bring back Peca! As a 3rd or 4th liner he is not a bad option. I think he had 30 points this year. Also, Jason Smith, a dman who will play d and fight. Last suggestion, Matt Cooke from Washington. He is not fun for people to play against. 3 guys who won't break the bank and two former captains.

What I would like to see is all the RFA's signed before the playoffs are over. On July 1, when they can start negotiating with next year's crop of FA's and RFA's get Milller and Pominville done.

That is when we will learn if they have learned.

Some of you guys have 11 players leaving.

That kind of turnover rate is unheard of.

I don't think we're as far off as you think we are.

It's all about balance. Last year we had balance in everything.

This year we were very top heavy.

If we bring in

a.) a top 4 defensman that can play 20 minutes and on the PP. It doesn't have to be a star, just someone solid.

b.) A Selke like workman leadership type forward.

c.) A capable backup Goalie

Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to trading for these needs. But I don't think we need to get rid of 12 people. And you're kidding yourselves anyway if you think that's gonna happen.

Well all the conjecture is great on this post IMHO I think your post is the closest to reality of what may or the most that will happen.

Of the RFAs, Gaustad is top priority. Even if he's not the #1 on-ice leader, his style of play is needed.

Of the UFAs, I wouldn't mind keeping Pratt, but I wouldn't be broken-hearted if they signed a solid top-4 defenseman in his place. Nevertheless, if they keep Pratt because of his veteran presence, I'm ok with that.

The defense needs to be upgraded. I don't know what happened to Tallinder & Lydman this year, but they're better than what they showed us. I don't necessarily think either of them should be let go, but if we can get a solid d-man and someone who can bring the puck up the ice w/o acting like a scared little girl out there, then I'll be happy. Once Campbell left, every defenseman was very tentative with bringing the puck up the ice - we rarely got a good rush because of that.

The only guys I've had enough of are Kotalik & Peters. I don't know what Ales was thinking half the time out there and Peters is just a waste of a roster spot.

I'd be willing to keep Connolly & Max around, but they're probably on short leashes. Campy pointed out Connolly's numbers (when healthy) and since I don't see the front office picking up a play-maker, we need Tim. As far as Max goes, I'd probably keep him as a 3rd or 4th liner. Provided injuries don't kill us next year, I think Stafford should go back with Roy & Vanek and use someone like Bernier or Connolly on the Hecht-Pominville line.

My roster for next year would be something like this (presuming no major changes are made):

Vanek-Roy-Stafford

Hecht-Connolly-Pominville

Bernier-Gaustad-Max

Kaleta-Mair-MacArthur

Spacek-Pratt

Weber-Sekera

Tallinder-Lydman

We can replace Pratt with a FA (I'm looking at someone like John-Michael Liles, Michal Rozsival, or Brooks Orpik), but it needs to be someone who can carry the puck, a la Campbell (heck, why not sign him? :lol: ).

I don't have any confidence in Quinn and Regier, especially after the last offseason. I'd like to give them a benefit of doubt, but I don't feel confident that they can get the players we need. They'll probably get more mediocre players, in hopes that Ruff can turn them into superstars.

Vanek-Roy-Stafford

Bernier-Gaustad-Max

Kaleta-Mair-MacArthur

Spacek-Pratt

Weber-Sekera

Tallinder-Lydman

No Paille?

I'd like to see these lines:

Vanek-Roy-Bernier

Paille-Guastad-Stafford

Kaleta-Mair-MacArthur

Spacek-Pratt

Weber-Sekera

Tallinder-New guy

That leaves Max, Kotalik, Lydman and Peters available to be traded to create room and bring in players. If Darcy Tucker is bought out I would like him for the for either the Hecht line with Jochen going to center or for a third line center. There is a player who gives his all every time he is on the ice and he'll fight.

Also, I'd keep Paesch for the 7th spot. I know alot of people a down on him but it did take Campbell 7 years to earn his full time slot.

Of the RFAs, Gaustad is top priority. Even if he's not the #1 on-ice leader, his style of play is needed.

Of the UFAs, I wouldn't mind keeping Pratt, but I wouldn't be broken-hearted if they signed a solid top-4 defenseman in his place. Nevertheless, if they keep Pratt because of his veteran presence, I'm ok with that.

The defense needs to be upgraded. I don't know what happened to Tallinder & Lydman this year, but they're better than what they showed us. I don't necessarily think either of them should be let go, but if we can get a solid d-man and someone who can bring the puck up the ice w/o acting like a scared little girl out there, then I'll be happy. Once Campbell left, every defenseman was very tentative with bringing the puck up the ice - we rarely got a good rush because of that.

The only guys I've had enough of are Kotalik & Peters. I don't know what Ales was thinking half the time out there and Peters is just a waste of a roster spot.

I'd be willing to keep Connolly & Max around, but they're probably on short leashes. Campy pointed out Connolly's numbers (when healthy) and since I don't see the front office picking up a play-maker, we need Tim. As far as Max goes, I'd probably keep him as a 3rd or 4th liner. Provided injuries don't kill us next year, I think Stafford should go back with Roy & Vanek and use someone like Bernier or Connolly on the Hecht-Pominville line.

My roster for next year would be something like this (presuming no major changes are made):

Vanek-Roy-Stafford

Bernier-Gaustad-Max

Kaleta-Mair-MacArthur

Spacek-Pratt

Weber-Sekera

Tallinder-Lydman

We can replace Pratt with a FA (I'm looking at someone like John-Michael Liles, Michal Rozsival, or Brooks Orpik), but it needs to be someone who can carry the puck, a la Campbell (heck, why not sign him? :lol: ).

And exactly which of the nine teams ahead of them now or even a couple behind them, is that roster better than?? Is it good enough to beat the Canadians team they lpayed last night? How about Pittsburgh? What about the up and coming Capitals? For all the talk about the good young talent Buffalo has, do you think any of the above teams would trade their youth for Buffalo's?

Tell me who they are going to be better than if they make no significant changes, which by the way is exactly what I think they will do!

+12 in 15 games? Are you sure you don't want to rethink this?

Sekera and Weber are the Sabres best two defensemen. They are #1 on the "D" depth chart.

Sekera and Weber looked outstanding the past few weeks and clearly have the potential to become top 2 defensemen. However, I don't believe they've been facing the top pairings of other teams during their stint in the majors. And the Sabres franchise prefers to develop their defensemen slowly, which is partly why I have Weber going back to the minors. Then again, different players have different learning curves and Weber does look more like a veteran on the ice than some of our actual veterans (Kalinin, Lydman). And this past season has certainly taught us that not every Sabres organization policy is necessarily the best.

So to answer your question, yes I will reconsider.

Exactly. Never happen. Only a handful of roster changes are needed but it must be the right moves.

That is when we will learn if they have learned.

Correct on both points, Ink, and I'm glad to see that rage has given way to planning for the future.

Having said that, while I don't think there will be much turnover, I think pretty much everyone on the team is eligible to be traded (ie the Sabres should and would move them for the right deal) in order to fill the team's needs (a good defenseman and a good center, both of whom should be tough veteran leaders), except:

Miller

Sekera

Roy

Vanek

Pominville

Hecht

Gaustad

To be clear, I'm just saying that I'd be fine with trading anyone not listed above for the right deal, and I'd guess the Sabres' internal list of untouchables is pretty close to this.

And exactly which of the nine teams ahead of them now or even a couple behind them, is that roster better than?? Is it good enough to beat the Canadians team they lpayed last night? How about Pittsburgh? What about the up and coming Capitals? For all the talk about the good young talent Buffalo has, do you think any of the above teams would trade their youth for Buffalo's?

Tell me who they are going to be better than if they make no significant changes, which by the way is exactly what I think they will do!

First of all, I never said they'd be better than the 9 teams ahead of them right now. My post did clarify that if they made no major changes (like you have conceded), then that's the roster I'd go with.

That said, who says they can't be better than a few of those teams? Maybe if they get a backup goalie that will be able to perform and give Miller some nights off, then he'll be better, which could help grab an extra 4-5 points. Maybe if Tallinder & Lydman play like they did in '06 & '07, we'll be more confident in our D corps. Heck, Ottawa had pretty much the same defensive groupings from 05-06 to 06-07 and they were a MUCH better defensive team.

I think the team right now can be a playoff team. To be an elite team, they need to upgrade.

First of all, I never said they'd be better than the 9 teams ahead of them right now. My post did clarify that if they made no major changes (like you have conceded), then that's the roster I'd go with.

That said, who says they can't be better than a few of those teams? Maybe if they get a backup goalie that will be able to perform and give Miller some nights off, then he'll be better, which could help grab an extra 4-5 points. Maybe if Tallinder & Lydman play like they did in '06 & '07, we'll be more confident in our D corps. Heck, Ottawa had pretty much the same defensive groupings from 05-06 to 06-07 and they were a MUCH better defensive team.

I think the team right now can be a playoff team. To be an elite team, they need to upgrade.

I wasn't attacking you specifically but the whole notion that this is a young team that is bound to get better. None of the teams ahead of Buffalo is exactly bordering on retirement and all of them have young players they feel good about as well. If management goes into the off season looking to make up only those 4 or 5 points they think they lost and believing that's all they have to do it will be a long season.

I'll stick by my previous post: (with a few edits)

I'd rather see Connolly centering Pommers and Hecht (move hime to LW)

(although Roy looked good centering Hecht and Pommers last night)

move Paille to 3rd line with Goose and Bernie (move Bernie to RW, as he's a RW) or 4th line and move Stafford to 3rd line

Kotalik and Max gone, pick up a vet RW and try him with VanRoy (or Vanek Connolly)

Sekera- Weber (these two play well together)

Spacek-Pratt

Tallinder- Lydman?

toss Paetsch

Nummi, the jury's still out

Archived