So Where Do We Go From Here?

SabresFan526

See anyone useful here?

08 UFA's.

Goalies: Ty Conklin

Defense: Liles

Centers: Stu Barnes

As for who stays & who goes, anyone with a contract in place will probably be staying unless Regier gets a trade offer he can't refuse. Track record for management is to keep people who are signed and then let them go when they are UFAs. I wish it were different and especially that an exception will be made for Peters who has another year on his deal. Paetsch has 2 more years of hanging on as 7th D. Pratt will probably get another 1 year deal unless they find someone who's a big upgrade on D in the open market. Kalinin & Numminen are gone - so is Ryan. All in all, not a lot of slots open. I wouldn't be surprised to see Sekera, Weber and MacArthur back in the AHL unless they are subject to the waiver draft (MacArthur might be?) - even if they're better players, management likes to save money where it can and call them up later on.

I hope but am not holding my breath that we'll get 2 new UFA defensemen. Kotalik is worth keeping but Max really needs to be traded if any kind of return can be obtained (unless we hope for a big last year of the contract type season).

Here are my next year lines:

Vanek-Connolly-Bernier

Kotalik/Afinogenov - Roy - Pominville

Paille - Hecht - Stafford

Mair - Gaustad - Kaleta

UFA 1st pair D man - Spacek

Sekera - Weber

Lydman - Tallinder

Paetsch and/or Pratt (injury replacements / depth)

Miller + someone who can go at least .500 as a backup and play 15-20 games

Never too early for this stuff once you're mathematically out of it....from that list, here are my top 3 I'd (realistically) like to see brought in:

Forward: Center Bobby Holik. He's a seasoned veteran, is a tough sand-paper type of guy that the Sabres are lacking. Has worn the "C" before. Is great on draws.

Defense: Adam Foote/Ron Haisey. Depends what you want to address on defense, the lack of tough/smart players, or the lack of puck-movers coming out of our zone.

Goalie: ALEX AULD. Hands down. He owned the Sabres this year and could more than hold his own as a backup. He'd probably be affordable, and he's not an old man either so there's some upside still.

Well, I would have loved for the Sabres to go after Langkow this offseason even though we all know the Sabres would never have done it, especially since he would be out of their price range. Well, we don't need to worry about it anymore as it looks like he has or is very close to signing an extension with Calgary depending on which reports you believe:

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/s...4bb&k=60243

All in all, not a lot of slots open. I wouldn't be surprised to see Sekera, Weber and MacArthur back in the AHL unless they are subject to the waiver draft (MacArthur might be?) - even if they're better players, management likes to save money where it can and call them up later on.

I hope but am not holding my breath that we'll get 2 new UFA defensemen. Kotalik is worth keeping but Max really needs to be traded if any kind of return can be obtained (unless we hope for a big last year of the contract type season).

Sekera and Weber are only 1.1 mill for both of them. and if they're better players than why wouldn't you play them? I'll agree Spach plays better with a puck moving defenseman.

See anyone useful here?

08 UFA's.

Alex Auld

Mike Peca

John Michael Liles

Joe Sakic

Jose Theodore

Rob Blake

Todd Fedoruk

Michael Ryder

Mike Commodore

Wade Redden

Marian Hossa

Ryan Malone

Brooks Orpik

Brian Campbell

Mats Sundin

Olaf Kolzig - if he's willing to assume backup role.

These are the people who are UFAs that I think management should seriously look at and determine if they could be a peice to the puzzle.

Everytime I read the title of this thread I start singing "Long Time Gone" by Triumph for some reason.

Dude, there are probably two people here that know that song - me and you. And if you know that song - you're a hard core Triumph fan. :)

Alex Auld - maybe if he comes in for under $2 mil and will play as a backup (i.e not expecting to be the starter)

Mike Peca - Too old and injuries have taken a toll on him, he isn't the same guy he was when he left here, plus they could have signed him last year and passed

John Michael Liles

Joe Sakic - Too old, too much money, and probably will only play in Colorado or rretire

Jose Theodore - after his play this season, he is probably looking for another chance to be a #1, and won't sign cheap to be a backup

Rob Blake - Too old

Todd Fedoruk

Michael Ryder

Mike Commodore

Wade Redden - Too much $$$$

Marian Hossa - Too much $$$$

Ryan Malone

Brooks Orpik

Brian Campbell - was just here, highly doubtful he is willing to come back for less then what he could get on the open market

Mats Sundin - Too old, too much money, will probably retire if he doesn't stay a Leaf, plus he will probably only look at playing for a cup contender

Olaf Kolzig - if he's willing to assume backup role. - Might be too expensive to be a backup

These are the people who are UFAs that I think management should seriously look at and determine if they could be a peice to the puzzle.

I doubt half of theose guys are even on the Sabres radar

Just from past experience we know they aren't interested in picking up an older vet for a year or 2 unless his name is Teppo

And they won't bring in anyone that is going to cosat them big money. We had those kind of guys and management let them go because we couldn't afford them and re-sign key younger guys

Alex Auld

Mike Peca

John Michael Liles

Joe Sakic

Jose Theodore

Rob Blake

Todd Fedoruk

Michael Ryder

Mike Commodore

Wade Redden

Marian Hossa

Ryan Malone

Brooks Orpik

Brian Campbell

Mats Sundin

Olaf Kolzig - if he's willing to assume backup role.

I'll take Peca, Liles, Orpik & Auld. Dispose of Kotalik, Max, Tbo, Kalinin & Teppo(8+ mil in salary)

Vanek-Roy-Stafford

Hecht-Connolly-Pominville

Paille-Peca-Gaustad

Kaleta-Mair-Bernier

Tallinder-Lydman

Sekera-Orpik

Liles-Weber-Pratt

Miller-Auld

The only problem I have is Bernier on the 4th line, but I don't know where else to put him.

I'll take Peca, Liles, Orpik & Auld. Dispose of Kotalik, Max, Tbo, Kalinin & Teppo(8+ mil in salary)

Vanek-Roy-Stafford

Paille-Peca-Gaustad

Kaleta-Mair-Bernier

Tallinder-Lydman

Sekera-Orpik

Liles-Weber-Pratt

Miller-Auld

The only problem I have is Bernier on the 4th line, but I don't know where else to put him.

You also forgot about Spacek! I think he's pretty good and still has a year left on his contract. I do agree on the Liles, Orpik, and Auld front. Not a big fan of Peca anymore.

You also forgot about Spacek! I think he's pretty good and still has a year left on his contract. I do agree on the Liles, Orpik, and Auld front. Not a big fan of Peca anymore.

I forgot about Spacek. I guess I would dump Pratt in that case. I'd love to get my hands on Sillinger from the Isles(instead of Peca) for the 3rd line, but he is under contract 1 more year.

[edited] I also forgot about Paetsch. Not sure if I would rather have Paetsch(at a lower price) than Liles.

Vanek-Roy-Stafford

Paille-Peca-Gaustad

Kaleta-Mair-Bernier

Tallinder-Lydman

Sekera-Orpik

Liles-Weber-Pratt

Miller-Auld

I like this with one exception - I'd keep Kotalik and let Mair go. They both can float, but Big Al does contribute a few more goals, and has played more motivated since Bernier arrived. Put Peca on the 4th line and keep him fresh for special team play.

I doubt half of theose guys are even on the Sabres radar

Just from past experience we know they aren't interested in picking up an older vet for a year or 2 unless his name is Teppo

And they won't bring in anyone that is going to cosat them big money. We had those kind of guys and management let them go because we couldn't afford them and re-sign key younger guys

Alex Auld was a backup all this year pretty much. He has played well at times and I think he could be a Marty Biron while still with the Sabres player.

I think the Sabres are going to sign someone to a big contract this season. They know they screwed up, and they know what they need to do to fix it. I don't think they're gonna go crazy, but I do think there will be a big signing.

This is why Sakic and Sundin makes sense, they aren't gonna be looking for a long term contract cuz they know their time is running out.

Alex Auld was a backup all this year pretty much. He has played well at times and I think he could be a Marty Biron while still with the Sabres player.

I think the Sabres are going to sign someone to a big contract this season. They know they screwed up, and they know what they need to do to fix it. I don't think they're gonna go crazy, but I do think there will be a big signing.

This is why Sakic and Sundin makes sense, they aren't gonna be looking for a long term contract cuz they know their time is running out.

Auld could be a possibility, as long as he isn't looking for a chance at being a starter, I'm not against bringing him in unless he thinks he still has a chance to be a starter somewhere.

I doubt the sign anyone big, its just not their style, and I don't think they believe they screwed up, they will come out and stick with their "Build from within" strategy

I don't see Sakic and Sundin even considering the Sabres as an option. Both will go somewhere thats a favorite to win the cup next year or else they will retire. I don't think many will see Buffalo as a cup contender next year (not saying they won't make the playoffs or have a chance, just that they won't be a favorite to do it), and I don't think that Sakic or Sundin will bring much more to the table besides a hefty paycheck and veteran experience. If they are going to look for someone to just provide veteran experience, It will be someone for less money, more like teppo kind of money

I dont know about Sakic but Sundin had 30+ goals and 70+ points.

Banged up this year, only played 43 games (so far) with 12-26-38.

The Avs will likely let Sakic make up his mind on whether he wants to come back to Colorado. I can't see them releasing him or not re-signing him - he's meant too much to the franchise.

Bad bunch of goalies...

Holik- past his prime but big, chippy and some skill

Ruuttu-Agitator with some skill

Commodore- Solid, can move with puck and play sound d.

Good picks Holik probably too pricey for what we seen this managment do,.... Finally someone else that may have seen Jarku Ruttu play, he is more than an agitator he can fight, he can score and he always goes back after the guy on the other team that just cheap shot'd your guy..... we need some of that ...

Auld could be a possibility, as long as he isn't looking for a chance at being a starter, I'm not against bringing him in unless he thinks he still has a chance to be a starter somewhere.

Maybe, if he has just a little bit of hope left, then he will try to prove himself with every game, which will push Miller. It's not such a bad thing to have somebody behind you who could take your spot if you don't perform. Besides, there's always the possibility that Miller continues to regress (i.e., it wasn't just an off year, it was the start of a total drop-off), so having someone with at least some potential to take over, isn't all bad.

Dude, there are probably two people here that know that song - me and you. And if you know that song - you're a hard core Triumph fan. :)

I once went on a 4 day road trip in 1985. Thunder Seven was stuck in the tape deck. We could

play it, but not remove it.

Time. Time. Time. Time. Time. Time. :)

Banged up this year, only played 43 games (so far) with 12-26-38.

The Avs will likely let Sakic make up his mind on whether he wants to come back to Colorado. I can't see them releasing him or not re-signing him - he's meant too much to the franchise.

Sakic will never leave Colorado. It's not about money for him. He plays on a one year contract every year, and has been for the last 2 years. It's a matter of does he want to continue playing or not. And if he wants to play, he'll only play for the Avs, so there's no chance Buffalo could or would sign him.

Archived