How's the letting Briere/Drury/Campbell plan working out?

Ramsey05

I would like to say that there is a difference between whining about the past an pointing out that things could have been better. It seems that everyone talking about the encouraging signs of this year have to rewrite history and imply that all the mistakes in negotiating were in "hindsight" good things because of what this team couldn't have done or wouldn't be able to do in the future.

A couple of points I continuously feel need to be made;

1) I have moved on but my optimism is tempered by management's past dealings.

2) This team could have afforded Drury, Campbell while still being able to sign Jason and Ryan.

3) Drury never considered New York an option till the 24th hour.

4) There is no real reason to hope that management even thinks they need to add in the off season and a late run to the playoffs will further entrench their belief that they don't need to do anything.

5) When other posters stop talking about this year's team as somehow better than the last two year's teams, I will stop pointing out the errors of their ways.

1) I agree, but (again) more due to what they didn't pick up than what they let go.

2) Maybe (which numbers did you use, since we don't know for sure what any of them did or will take) and, the negotiation process may have been flawed, but they did try to sign Drury. What about the other players that we would still need to sign, both on the team now and that we would still need to add?

3) Bulls**t. He may not have been sure he would get an offer, but I'm quite certain he knew that they might be interested (I think he was third on their list and they got two of those top three).

4) While their is a lot of reasons to question whether they will, all hope is not lost. While you may disagree with some that they didn't sign, they have made some very good signings and aquisitions before, and might do them again.

5) I wouldn't say that they are better than last year, but I would say that they have more potential going forward than they would have had were they to sign everyone from last year. Last year's team didn't play all that well from February on and the more that the old ways slipped back in and teams figured out how to play against them, the worse they looked.

1) I agree, but (again) more due to what they didn't pick up than what they let go.

2) Maybe (which numbers did you use, since we don't know for sure what any of them did or will take) and, the negotiation process may have been flawed, but they did try to sign Drury. What about the other players that we would still need to sign, both on the team now and that we would still need to add?

3) Bulls**t. He may not have been sure he would get an offer, but I'm quite certain he knew that they might be interested (I think he was third on their list and they got two of those top three).

4) While their is a lot of reasons to question whether they will, all hope is not lost. While you may disagree with some that they didn't sign, they have made some very good signings and aquisitions before, and might do them again.

5) I wouldn't say that they are better than last year, but I would say that they have more potential going forward than they would have had were they to sign everyone from last year. Last year's team didn't play all that well from February on and the more that the old ways slipped back in and teams figured out how to play against them, the worse they looked.

1) n/a

2) used high end and they were still under cap but higher than were they are now. Alos assume if they keep Drury, they let Tim and Max go before next year.

3) know for a fact, they fully intended to keep Nylander

4) what players, other than their own, have they signed or acquired Teppo and Jaro by paying considerably more than anyone else was offerring

5) Completely disagree with that whole "lazy" premise. History is full of teams that bolt out front, comserve energy, and than win championships. I think they were stunned by Ottawa, and even than lost three games by 1 goal even though they played poorly. Any talk of how would have fared against Anaheim is pure specualtion. I am sure as an intelligent fan, you know that every match up stands on its own and the Ducks domination of Ottawa says nothing as to how they would have fared against Buffalo.

Anybody want to debate the following...

-McAdoo traded to the Knicks

-Rashad traded to the Vikings

-The cost of French Fries at the arena

-The shade of biege I should paint my living room.

As was said earlier...

LET IT GO!!!!!!!!!!!

<_< <_< <_<

As was said earlier...

LET IT GO!!!!!!!!!!!

<_< <_< <_<

A beige living room is a total cop-out when you have the entire Sherwin Williams pallet to choose from.

oh wait, I guess I see your point.... ;)

As was said earlier...

LET IT GO!!!!!!!!!!!

<_< <_< <_<

You waited too long. Home Depot had Behr paint 5 gallons for $25 over the summer, according to sources close to the home improvement chain that is.

1) n/a

2) used high end and they were still under cap but higher than were they are now. Also assume if they keep Drury, they let Tim and Max go before next year.

3) know for a fact, they fully intended to keep Nylander

4) what players, other than their own, have they signed or acquired Teppo and Jaro by paying considerably more than anyone else was offering

5) Completely disagree with that whole "lazy" premise. History is full of teams that bolt out front, conserve energy, and than win championships. I think they were stunned by Ottawa, and even than lost three games by 1 goal even though they played poorly. Any talk of how would have fared against Anaheim is pure speculation. I am sure as an intelligent fan, you know that every match up stands on its own and the Ducks domination of Ottawa says nothing as to how they would have fared against Buffalo.

2) Unfortunately, you can't "let them go". They are under contract through next season, so you need to find someone to take them at their contracted salaries. I hope that we can move them this summer, but I certainly wouldn't assume that they could. What happens if you sign everyone you wanted and then can't unload those two?

3) Gomez and Drury were on their list of players to fill one hole and, when it became clear that Nylander wouldn't be signed, they picked up both. The interest was there and there was a lot of speculation that Gomez would get more elsewhere, so there was a real possibility before the wrote off Nylander (which was done before the deadline). There was also a lot of other interest in Chris around the league. As I said, they might have messed up the initial talks, but they also seemed willing to break off negotiations pretty quickly.

4) They have done pretty well at bringing in guys and turning them into much better players. For example, Briere and Drury were both "good" when they were brought in, but were considered "great" by the time they left. Both are in danger of slipping back to "good" this season.

5) I didn't say anything about being lazy - though, they often appeared just as lazy as some of this season's worst games - they simply were being outplayed, managing to steal more game last year than this year. Heck, if we had the same SO % this year as last, we would have 7 more points and would be close to the top teams in the East.

You waited too long. Home Depot had Behr paint 5 gallons for $25 over the summer, according to sources close to the home improvement chain that is.

Personally I feel that Behr paint is the best paint that you can buy! It goes on smoothly, and covers well. Every room in my home was painted with Behr paints.

Mods, could we pin an ongoing "Piss and moan about last summer's free agency blunders here" thread? Maybe that would limit the number of new threads that pop up saying the same thing, and possibly limit the number of threads that devolve into the same tired arguments over and over.

We now return to your scheduled programming, already in progress.

Mods, could we pin an ongoing "Piss and moan about last summer's free agency blunders here" thread? Maybe that would limit the number of new threads that pop up saying the same thing, and possibly limit the number of threads that devolve into the same tired arguments over and over.

Just because an individual doesnt agree with your point of view doesnt meen they should just let it go..Everyone who doesnt mind seeing those players lost is willing to let it go and turn the page because it fits with their opinion. Its an easy solution to win your point of view..Let it go might as well meen I am tired of this argument and no matter what you say or what happens I wont agree with you..I agree let it go..The Sabres let it go and now we are fighting for the last spot instead of a home Ice...

Just because an individual doesnt agree with your point of view doesnt meen they should just let it go..Everyone who doesnt mind seeing those players lost is willing to let it go and turn the page because it fits with their opinion. Its an easy solution to win your point of view..Let it go might as well meen I am tired of this argument and no matter what you say or what happens I wont agree with you..I agree let it go..The Sabres let it go and now we are fighting for the last spot instead of a home Ice...

Find the words "Let it go" in my original post. Find where I disagreed with anything anyone said in this thread. Find where I tried to get someone to agree with my point of view (and you probably don't even know where I stand on the Campbell/Drury/Briere incidents, since I don't jump into every thread that re-hashes those situations over and over and over and over and over....)

I simply made a request to the mods - let's pin one thread at the top so everyone can piss and moan and argue about LAST YEAR"S free agency period and keep the other threads clean.

As was said earlier...

LET IT GO!!!!!!!!!!!

<_< <_< <_<

Ecru

Find the words "Let it go" in my original post. Find where I disagreed with anything anyone said in this thread. Find where I tried to get someone to agree with my point of view (and you probably don't even know where I stand on the Campbell/Drury/Briere incidents, since I don't jump into every thread that re-hashes those situations over and over and over and over and over....)

I simply made a request to the mods - let's pin one thread at the top so everyone can piss and moan and argue about LAST YEAR"S free agency period and keep the other threads clean.

Sorry I was posting a thought in general..I should have clarified..

I had that thread already started but it never really caught on. It was the "Official I'm a little whiney bitch thread and this forum is my feminine hygiene product". B-)

I personally was having a pretty GD hard time letting it go after that debacle in Pittsburgh. I like our team, but I am not going to tell anyone who posts on here (who is almost by definition someone who cares a lot about this team) to get over it. I'm really invested in this team. I care about how they do. When I see them looking terrible and likely to miss the playoffs a year after winning the President's trophy, I get very PO'd at what can only be described as the huge blunders by management that led to this situation. It's unavoidably the central theme of this season.

Having said all that, I do think we're not that far off, and that Darcy is skilled enough to get us back there. We need a #1 center and a top 4 defenseman. We also need to not eff around and lock up Miller and Pominville. They will both sign if we make offers that are reasonably within market. No more BS and no more excuses -- they need to pay what it costs to keep those 2.

I'm willing to give management another offseason to show that they learned from their mistakes and will take steps to get us back to elite status. But I swear, if they d--- around with Miller and he's not extended by opening day, I am rounding up an angry mob to march on Paychex.

I had that thread already started but it never really caught on. It was the "Official I'm a little whiney bitch thread and this forum is my feminine hygiene product". B-)

Sadly, I believe that disappeared in the crash. When I searched for that thread, this one was the only thread that came up. Maybe you need to resurrect it...

I personally was having a pretty GD hard time letting it go after that debacle in Pittsburgh. I like our team, but I am not going to tell anyone who posts on here (who is almost by definition someone who cares a lot about this team) to get over it. I'm really invested in this team. I care about how they do. When I see them looking terrible and likely to miss the playoffs a year after winning the President's trophy, I get very PO'd at what can only be described as the huge blunders by management that led to this situation. It's unavoidably the central theme of this season.

Having said all that, I do think we're not that far off, and that Darcy is skilled enough to get us back there. We need a #1 center and a top 4 defenseman. We also need to not eff around and lock up Miller and Pominville. They will both sign if we make offers that are reasonably within market. No more BS and no more excuses -- they need to pay what it costs to keep those 2.

I'm willing to give management another offseason to show that they learned from their mistakes and will take steps to get us back to elite status. But I swear, if they d--- around with Miller and he's not extended by opening day, I am rounding up an angry mob to march on Paychex.

I agree with you, n - I got pretty disgusted before these last two wins, to the point that I was turning games off - and that's a huge departure from the norm for me.

If they do screw around with Pominville and Miller, you won't need to look hard to get enough bodies for storming the Paychex offices. Heck, I'll be right there with you...

I think you mean you hope they will sign. You have no idea what these guys are thinking. You don't know if they want to stay or leave. What if Miller wants to become an UFA. His agent could be telling him ho could make $10M per year. We just do not know.

I think you mean you hope they will sign. You have no idea what these guys are thinking. You don't know if they want to stay or leave. What if Miller wants to become an UFA. His agent could be telling him ho could make $10M per year. We just do not know.

You are of course correct that they could decide that they want to leave regardless of what we offer. I am hoping, and do not know for sure. I also think though that I am making an educated guess. Based on what I've read about hockey players generally and Sabres in particular, they don't want to leave if the money is in the ballpark (and please don't tell me that our offers to Soupy and Briere were in the ballpark. They weren't even close). I think if we offer Miller the same deal Lundqvist got, he will sign (same goes for Pominville -- I think he will sign for the same deal we gave Roy). But if we screw around and don't respond to his opening offer for a month, or if we offer him a 3-year deal, the slow, horrible train to losing another UFA will leave the station yet again.

You are of course correct that they could decide that they want to leave regardless of what we offer. I am hoping, and do not know for sure. I also think though that I am making an educated guess. Based on what I've read about hockey players generally and Sabres in particular, they don't want to leave if the money is in the ballpark (and please don't tell me that our offers to Soupy and Briere were in the ballpark. They weren't even close). I think if we offer Miller the same deal Lundqvist got, he will sign (same goes for Pominville -- I think he will sign for the same deal we gave Roy). But if we screw around and don't respond to his opening offer for a month, or if we offer him a 3-year deal, the slow, horrible train to losing another UFA will leave the station yet again.

Agreed. I do think they will sign their young stars. Drury/Briere and maybe Campbell to a small degree are not young stars. Campbell in the only one of the 3 that can get better. The other 2 are past their prime, though Drury was my favorite player. Roy and Vanek are locked up. Pominville and Miller need to be next.

Not that I have a firm grasp on what this means - but

Briere has 25 goals. 11 on the PP, and 14 even strength 4 of which came in the first 3 games.

He has 36 assists, 22 on the PP, 14 at even strength 4 of which came in the first 3 games.

So aside from the first three games of the season you have a player with 10 goals and 10 assists at even strength.

Like I said, I don't know exactly what that means I just thought it was interesting in a Harry Neale kinda way.

Briere has 25 goals. 11 on the PP, and 14 even strength 4 of which came in the first 3 games.

He has 36 assists, 22 on the PP, 14 at even strength 4 of which came in the first 3 games.

So aside from the first three games of the season you have a player with 10 goals and 10 assists at even strength.

Like I said, I don't know exactly what that means I just thought it was interesting in a Harry Neale kinda way.

This has nothing to do with Briere, but I think it's great if you have someone who scores a lot on the PP. Special Teams become very important in the playoffs and a timely PP goal can change a game quickly.

Interesting. I didn't realized that he had started out on a mini hot streak. Also of note is that he had 20G, 28A for 48 points in the 48 games before the all-star break. After the break, he has 6G, 8A for 14 points in 23 games (though, he has 4G, 3A for 7 points in his last 7 games).

Archived