How's the letting Briere/Drury/Campbell plan working out?

Ramsey05

Hey Ramsey, you idiot: Three points for you that should help, considering you've clearly been living in a cave:

1. Briere has never been and probably never will be a 2-way player, or "complete player" as they call them. Derek Roy is. Derek Roy is a more complete hockey player, has achieved more faster than Briere, and we got him much cheaper. Take a look at Briere's plus/minus. Then read a few articles from the Philly area and let me know if you think the fans there think the organization got its money's worth. Briere went to the highest bidder, period.

2. Drury kept his desire to play for his childhood team close to the vest, and the sabres would have had to give him an absurd contract to keep him. Such a contract would have made it impossible to extend Roy and Hecht last offseason, considering the Vanek situation.

3. Maybe spend a few minutes looking over the contracts, cap, and FA situation for next season before posting knee-jerk reactions. If we paid even a market contract for Campbell right now, you can kiss goodbye either Pommer or Miller. That's the reality. Instead, we got a first round pick in a deep and talented draft, and a restricted free agent that will give us a lot of leverage to extend him long-term. Oh yea, and he was a first round pick who hasn't fully tapped his upside yet. We got a great deal for Campbell...and will still be in the running to sign Campbell long term. I think Darcy even said in one of the wgr interviews that they will still make a FA offer to Soupy.

Darcy knows what he's doing. Fans like you always need something to whine about and someone to point the finger at. How about giving some credit where credit is due...? Not many teams have drafted as well as Darcy, either...

Well put. Fact is, we need to be able to sign Miller and Pommer long term. They are the emerging heart and soul of this team. Furthermore, the Sabres haven't been that bad this season. After last year the fans raised their expectations up so high that they forgot what a decent hockey team looks like. Philly is on the shnide right now and I think this team finally found it's late season identity against Carolina and Toronto. I think we will not only make the playoffs, but I believe we will catch either Boston or the Rangers for 7th or 6th. We'll see. This is NOT a bad team, and if they make the playoffs, they will surprise people. Never count out Lindy Ruff in the playoffs.

Just curious. Oh, yeah, THAT's right. The team's gone from #1 in the East to out of the playoffs. Thumbs up!

<_<

Edit:

Add a "go" to the title.

Go listen to "Finger on the Trigger" by Until The End and starting at 2:44. that will then explain my response to your post....

I have the song if you would like to hear it...

When he signed with Philly I think there were a lot of

fans thinking he was worth every penny. (not sure about rational though.

I'm sure there were some, but I think most thought while they should have signed him earlier, there was no way Buffalo should have paid that.

All I can say is Ramsay, you're lucky I can't find the "dead horse" emoticon that used to be on here because by God you'd be getting an eye-full of those.

And thanks for the news flash about how it sucks that we lost Briere and Drury. I didn't know that; I thought it was terrific that we lost those players until a genius such as yourself came along and put it all together so succinctly and articulately for us.

I'm not unhappy, given the salaries 2 of the 3 got. Philly is exceedingly unhappy with Briere right now. He gets booed regularly.

BTW: here's a fun comparison.

Briere

26g 36a 62pts -24 34 power play points, 1 short handed assist - 3 game winning goals, 10 million dollars, age 30

Roy

29g 37a 66pts +14 18 power play points, 3 shorthanded goals, 2 short handed assists - 4 game winning goals, 4 million dollars, age 24

Drury

22g 26a 48pts -5, 25 ppp, 2 shorthanded assists, 6 gwg, 10 million dollars, age 31

Vanek

28g 25a 53pts -4, 20ppp, 0 shp, 7 gwg, 10 million, age 24

We can take this comparison one step Further;

NY Rangers 6th Place 83 points

Philly Flyers 8th Place 80 points

Buffalo Slugs 9th place 79 points

Additionally, if the Sabres can continuallly pull it together and who knows....with as streaky as they are this year, and umm do what ya call run the table they will likely leap frog their former captains and their current squads and then, THEN Darcy looks wise, golisano looks fiscally responsible, and all is well in sabresland, BUT quinn is and will remain a jerk. Go SABRES!

Roy

29g 37a 66pts +14 18 power play points, 3 shorthanded goals, 2 short handed assists - 4 game winning goals, 4 million dollars, age 24

Locking him up for 6 yrs at $4 Million may prove to be one of the best signings made by the Sabres in a very long time.

Richards has been a revelation

Yeah, I'd take Richards over Briere.

It doesn't? Forget Buffalo for a second....even forget Philly....with the way the game is getting called this year, how much

is Briere worth on a free agent market? I think maybe 5x5 was a correct valuation.

Just my point on PP production. I was not praising or condemning Briere. Just talking about PP points.

I was gonna go there, but the one point difference with Philly is because of Briere in a shoot out. :rolleyes: I ge tthe point though. big money w/o big impact. The Rangers are basically where they were last year and the Flyers are better because they couldn't be much worse and they made over the entire roster, not just Briere. Richards has been a revelation

Yes really the only difference is the SABRES ARE ABOUT 9 PLACES BEHIND WHERE THEY WERE LAST YEAR!!!!!

:wallbash:

Hey Ramsey, you idiot: Three points for you that should help, considering you've clearly been living in a cave:

1. Briere has never been and probably never will be a 2-way player, or "complete player" as they call them. Derek Roy is. Derek Roy is a more complete hockey player, has achieved more faster than Briere, and we got him much cheaper. Take a look at Briere's plus/minus. Then read a few articles from the Philly area and let me know if you think the fans there think the organization got its money's worth. Briere went to the highest bidder, period.

2. Drury kept his desire to play for his childhood team close to the vest, and the sabres would have had to give him an absurd contract to keep him. Such a contract would have made it impossible to extend Roy and Hecht last offseason, considering the Vanek situation.

3. Maybe spend a few minutes looking over the contracts, cap, and FA situation for next season before posting knee-jerk reactions. If we paid even a market contract for Campbell right now, you can kiss goodbye either Pommer or Miller. That's the reality. Instead, we got a first round pick in a deep and talented draft, and a restricted free agent that will give us a lot of leverage to extend him long-term. Oh yea, and he was a first round pick who hasn't fully tapped his upside yet. We got a great deal for Campbell...and will still be in the running to sign Campbell long term. I think Darcy even said in one of the wgr interviews that they will still make a FA offer to Soupy.

Darcy knows what he's doing. Fans like you always need something to whine about and someone to point the finger at. How about giving some credit where credit is due...? Not many teams have drafted as well as Darcy, either...

"Darcy knows what he's doing" HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's the best joke I heard in a long while, thanks for the laugh!!!!

"Darcy knows what he's doing" HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's the best joke I heard in a long while, thanks for the laugh!!!!

Between the juvenille screen name and the even worse posts, you are bordering on troll status.

So let me guess..You would rather be scummin around to try and make the playoffs and not have a shot at the CUP..Or have a shot at the CUP.....To each his own...

Last season's team never had a chance at a Cup. They were a tragically flawed team. The current team is built in more of the post season mold. Less finesse, more grit. They just need to show it every game, and actually make the playoffs.

Last season's team never had a chance at a Cup. They were a tragically flawed team. The current team is built in more of the post season mold. Less finesse, more grit. They just need to show it every game, and actually make the playoffs.

I agree totally..However they should have added and not subtracted....Hell they couldve signed and traded those players and gotten a return..

Last season as good as the team was, the special teams were awful.

Between the juvenille screen name and the even worse posts, you are bordering on troll status.

I'm glad you like my screen name. I'm not Doug Flutie, or Ronnie James Dio, so that doesn't make me a troll. I'm not trolling here either. I have never been a big fan of Regier's, and this past off-season situation is a huge reason why I want to see him gone. Don't get me wrong, Regier has made some good moves, but I credit the Sabres success to Lindy Ruff, not Regier. I wish John Muckler was still our GM. Muckler made the sabres into a contender when he was here, and took Ottawa to the Stanley Cup last year. Muckler is a proven winner, and Ottawa was foolish to fire him.

Man, I am really having a hard time not liking you. That's some funny #%^$#!. :D

Thanks, I appreciate it. Even though we may disagree on opinions, I am a die-hard Buffalo sports fan. Even though both the Sabres & Bills ownership & management does things at times that baffles me and I may not like, I will always support Buffalo sports. Hopefully, the momentum the sabres built up the last 2 games will continue.

I'm glad you like my screen name. I'm not Doug Flutie, or Ronnie James Dio, so that doesn't make me a troll. I'm not trolling here either. I have never been a big fan of Regier's, and this past off-season situation is a huge reason why I want to see him gone. Don't get me wrong, Regier has made some good moves, but I credit the Sabres success to Lindy Ruff, not Regier. I wish John Muckler was still our GM. Muckler made the sabres into a contender when he was here, and took Ottawa to the Stanley Cup last year. Muckler is a proven winner, and Ottawa was foolish to fire him.

Now, just out of curiousity, how exactly is John Muckler a proven winner? He coached the remnants of the Oiler dynasty to their last Stanley Cup, but I have no idea how that has anything to do with his performance as a GM.

Let me refer you back to the earlier post where I said obviously we took a hit this season. But, again, I think it will be for the best in the long term. They had their hands tied last year. The President's Trophy front runner can't trade Briere and Drury at the deadline because they're going to walk. They HAVE to keep them and make a run. They did it, it didn't work out, ok. now they have to re-laod. This year they made the right call. They are not cup front runners campbell is going to test the waters of UFA so they got a player and a good pick in return and still might make the playoffs. They weren't winning the cup this year with or w/o campbell

To be clear, if Campbell re-signs here over the summer does his trade become smart? IMO it was smart either way.

Youre point is a valid one..My point is we should have added not gone the way of restarting..Now you have many holes to fill instead of a few..Hey there are different ways to skin a cat..I just like the cat skinned now instead of a few yrs..

Archived