Cane hate?

inkman

Schopp keeps mentioning his hatred of the Hurricanes and while I know some of you share it, I would like to understand my fellow fan. The Sabres had one injury filled playoff series against them and suddenly we all hate Carolina?

I have much more hate for Philly, Ottawa, Toronto and even Atlanta.

It's like hating a girl after a one night stand gone wrong instead of the girl who you were with forever that ripped your heart out. Yo no comprendo!

Schopp keeps mentioning his hatred of the Hurricanes and while I know some of you share it, I would like to understand my fellow fan. The Sabres had one injury filled playoff series against them and suddenly we all hate Carolina?

I have much more hate for Philly, Ottawa, Toronto and even Atlanta.

It's like hating a girl after a one night stand gone wrong instead of the girl who you were with forever that ripped your heart out. Yo no comprendo!

My hate list :

1. Cryers

2. Senaturds

3. Laffs

Carolina is nowhere near the top of my hate list.

I'd go with (and my reasons for each):

-Filthadelphia - every good Sabres fan was raised to hate the Flyers. Tons of brawls, several nasty playoff series, and hi-emotion games whenever we meet. Plus they skated around with the Cup on our ice.

-Ottawa - partly on the respect them because they're good, familiarity from several recent playoff meetings, and of course the Drury - Neil incident (and Neil, Bryan Murray and several others being complete douchebags.)

-Carolina - personal experiences with the d-bag bandwagon Canes "fans" at Game 5 of the ECF, Rod the Bod running his mouth after winning the damn series, and their d-bag coach whining through the entire series. This seems to be more of a growing rivalry between the fans than the players, but I think that if the teams met in the playoffs again, this rivalry could catch fire.

I just don't get that excited about the Laffs - for me they evoke about as much emotion as the Bruins or Habs do. I used to love the Adams Division rivalries with the Habs, Bruins, Nords and Whale, but now the Habs, Bruins and Laffs are just another conference team. And personally I'm sick of seeing the Bruins - it seems like every other night we're playing Boston.

Personally not at the top of my list either but definitely a top 3 behind only Ottawa and Philly.

The reasons;

-Lavalite, whiny, no respect, cry to ref, promote dirty tactics jerk.

-Rod, after seeing his cheap shot crap (e.g his knee to knee shots two years running and other antics on ice lost respect)

-Jealousy for their renting the players for their cup run that actually worked for them.

-The BS finals stuff that came out in all their papers and specifically done by one of their journalists totally bashing Bflo, the city, the fans, the culture because our fans came down invaded and a few got out of hand from all accounts but I'm sure enough blame for both sides but of course no they had nothing to do with it Bflo fans are all just bad primitive's you bunch of cave people up their in that great white north....

#1 on the hate list. Sorry. I'm a born and bred Buffalonian and I appreciate all of the known and traditional rivalries, but being down here and experiencing the EC Finals two years ago brought it all home.

7-1 tonight and I was yelling at the TV for each goal. I hate the F***ING Canes.

I would put Carolina under the indifference column. I couldn't careless about Carolina. For me to hate a team I have to have a certain amount of respect.

My hate list.

1) Habs

2) Bruins

3) Leafs

4) Sens

5) Islanders

Teams like Carolina haven't earned the respect it takes to hate them. It's a disgrace that the words Carolina, Tampa Bay and Anaheim appear on the Cup. But as franchises I couldn't care less right now.

#1 on the hate list. Sorry. I'm a born and bred Buffalonian and I appreciate all of the known and traditional rivalries, but being down here and experiencing the EC Finals two years ago brought it all home.

7-1 tonight and I was yelling at the TV for each goal. I hate the F***ING Canes.

Ditto. If you had to live amongst these team swapping fans otherwise known as "caniacs" during the 2006 playoffs I promise they'd be at or near the top of your list as well.

carolina desperately needs a rivalry with a hockey city, thats why they try to make so much out of it. to me it's a joke.

the only thing i have against carolina is the fact that one of my best friends is a so called "hurricanes fan" (although personally i never heard him mention them until they were up against buffalo in the ecf) but he still brags about it and actually thinks that carolina deserved to win.

Hate isn't quite the word.

The Canes have all the soul of an Appleby's franchise.

They have a few hometown touches to make it look like its been there a while,

but it is really just the suspension of disbelief. It is still Appleby's.

You get a much better meal at the local greasy spoon. That's what we are

to them and I think they are a little jealous.

My top 3 hate list:

1. Philly - I have detested them my whole life. I hated Lindros, I especially hated John Leclair, I loathe Mark Recchi. I hate everything about that team. Now, I have built up a healthy hatred of Downie, Boulerice, and the other punks on that team. I don't know what it is, but I hate the Flyers.

2. Ottawa - Obvious reasons to hate them. Division rival, good players, and a-holes like Chris Neil and whiny, lispy Brian Murray. I did not hate the Sens a whole lot until about 2 years ago in the playoffs, and then of course last year. Now, I absolutely hate the Sens.

3. Boston - It's just old school from the old Adams Division days when the Sabres and Bruins used to have those bad bloody rivalries. I've just kept that hatred with me although the current Bruins team is not really all that hateable. But, I still hate them.

As for the Canes, I don't have a ton of hate for them. The Sabres are better than them. They just have an inferior complex and need to make themselves feel better, but the fact is they stole Buffalo's cup. And even tonight, with 3 AHL defenseman, we destroy them 7-1. And last week, I still contend, if the Sabres show up in the first, they win the game. The Canes are not better than the Sabres and just have an inferiority complex. There's nothing really to hate about that. It's amusing and something to laugh at. That's all.

I'd go with (and my reasons for each):

-Filthadelphia - every good Sabres fan was raised to hate the Flyers. Tons of brawls, several nasty playoff series, and hi-emotion games whenever we meet. Plus they skated around with the Cup on our ice.

-Ottawa - partly on the respect them because they're good, familiarity from several recent playoff meetings, and of course the Drury - Neil incident (and Neil, Bryan Murray and several others being complete douchebags.)

-Carolina - personal experiences with the d-bag bandwagon Canes "fans" at Game 5 of the ECF, Rod the Bod running his mouth after winning the damn series, and their d-bag coach whining through the entire series. This seems to be more of a growing rivalry between the fans than the players, but I think that if the teams met in the playoffs again, this rivalry could catch fire.

I just don't get that excited about the Laffs - for me they evoke about as much emotion as the Bruins or Habs do. I used to love the Adams Division rivalries with the Habs, Bruins, Nords and Whale, but now the Habs, Bruins and Laffs are just another conference team. And personally I'm sick of seeing the Bruins - it seems like every other night we're playing Boston.

I was gonna write perhaps a long post, but man, this sums it up for me. Old Adams Division!!

Hate List:

Filthadelphia

'Canes

OTT

TOR

Stars

in that order!!

As I suspected, most of the Sabres fans don't really think Carolina is a true rival. Unless you live in NC, that is.

OTOH, if you ask 20 Canes fans, 18 of em will say thier #1 hated rival is the Sabres. All because of that one series in the ECF. Unless you have been to or lived in Raliegh, you cannot really grasp the pure venom these guys have for the team, Lindy, the city of Buffalo, and most of all, the fans. The stories about how bad Sabres fans are are LEGENDARY there.

I went to the game there on the 8th, and didn't really see all that much raping and pillaging, but a trip to thier MB makes it sound like it was 2006 all over again. The only real tense moment I saw was in the first intermission when one guy in a Sabres jersey came into the bathroom with a "lets go Buffalo". Mostly, he just got some laughs from the Canes, but this one old drunk guy got the red-ass and started telling him to go home, why all the disrespect, blah blah blah. The kid explained he lives five minutes away and he's just supporting the team. I didn't really see anything at all wrong with what he was doing. Mostly, people were pretty cool to me, lot's of "good game" calls and high fives on the slow walk up the stairs.

I don't know, it seems like there is a much more family friendly atmosphere there, tons of little kids, even babies. Not saying this is good or bad, it's just the way it is there. I think most of the angst comes from the fact that the Sabres fans that DO show up for games there don't sit on thier meekly and watch. We actually yell and scream and get into it. I think deep down, it is the passion most Sabres fans show that gets under their skin. That and the few jackasses that do actually ruin it for everyone else. Let's be serious here, we all know that there are lots of drunk idiots running around that make things tense for everyone. Anyone who's been to RWS during a Fins or Jets game can attest. That area (I grew up in NC) has ALWAYS been a college BB area first, probably always will be. Maybe as the kids grow up that may even out a bit.

The other really big bone of contention there is that we don't give them any credit for winning the cup, whether you believe that they won it legit or not. Until we will one, it will continue to be a sore spot...

Oh, my hate list is:

1. Philthydumpia

2. The Rags

3. Otters

4. The Toilet Seats (Montreal)

1. Philadelphia: Their fans are about the closest we can get to English Premier League hooligans. (Probably like Liverpool vs. Manchester United)

2. Ottawa: Arrogancy reigns supreme, even though they haven't won the Cup in the modern era. As Scripture says, "Pride comes before a fall."

3. Carolina: Sure, they can rub it in. However, had we had a healthy blue line (including McKee), the series would have been no contest -- and we would have been merciless against the Oilers.

4. Rangers: It's pretty easy to compare Sean Avery with Matthew Barnaby.

5. Nashville: Whenever we play them, guys like Nichol and Tootoo are a thorn in our sides.

I can't really unload on the Leafs. Even though they are only 96 miles away, that's not as brutal as other "cross town" rivalries like Ducks/Kings and Rangers/Isles/Devils

I live in NC and have for a long time. Until the ECF 2006 I also rooted for the canes, went to many games with free tickets and overalll always enjoyed the games. In 2006 it seemed that the folks who control the scoreboard etc decided to really start getting on Buffalo as a city etc. After game one of the ECF and the crap we took from canes "fans" I started disliking them. After game 5 even more and during game 7 I was in a bar watching game and went to takea piss between 2 and 3rd. The bar was full of canes fans and I was sitting quitely with another friend watching the game. So in the bathroom a few of the "die hard fans" decide they want to start something and start berating me etc. I just ignored them and went back to my seat. I came home that night and sowre I would never root for them again.

Nice!

As I suspected, most of the Sabres fans don't really think Carolina is a true rival. Unless you live in NC, that is.

OTOH, if you ask 20 Canes fans, 18 of em will say thier #1 hated rival is the Sabres. All because of that one series in the ECF. Unless you have been to or lived in Raliegh, you cannot really grasp the pure venom these guys have for the team, Lindy, the city of Buffalo, and most of all, the fans. The stories about how bad Sabres fans are are LEGENDARY there.

I went to the game there on the 8th, and didn't really see all that much raping and pillaging, but a trip to thier MB makes it sound like it was 2006 all over again. The only real tense moment I saw was in the first intermission when one guy in a Sabres jersey came into the bathroom with a "lets go Buffalo". Mostly, he just got some laughs from the Canes, but this one old drunk guy got the red-ass and started telling him to go home, why all the disrespect, blah blah blah. The kid explained he lives five minutes away and he's just supporting the team. I didn't really see anything at all wrong with what he was doing. Mostly, people were pretty cool to me, lot's of "good game" calls and high fives on the slow walk up the stairs.

I don't know, it seems like there is a much more family friendly atmosphere there, tons of little kids, even babies. Not saying this is good or bad, it's just the way it is there. I think most of the angst comes from the fact that the Sabres fans that DO show up for games there don't sit on thier meekly and watch. We actually yell and scream and get into it. I think deep down, it is the passion most Sabres fans show that gets under their skin. That and the few jackasses that do actually ruin it for everyone else. Let's be serious here, we all know that there are lots of drunk idiots running around that make things tense for everyone. Anyone who's been to RWS during a Fins or Jets game can attest. That area (I grew up in NC) has ALWAYS been a college BB area first, probably always will be. Maybe as the kids grow up that may even out a bit.

The other really big bone of contention there is that we don't give them any credit for winning the cup, whether you believe that they won it legit or not. Until we will one, it will continue to be a sore spot...

Oh, my hate list is:

1. Philthydumpia

2. The Rags

3. Otters

4. The Toilet Seats (Montreal)

Great post. Living in NC it is easy to hate on the Canes. I was also at March 8th game with my family. It was great seeing all of the Sabres fans at the game, in fact my enire row was filled with Buffal fans. The Canes fans have this silly chant after an opponents penalty "cheaters never win". Even my 9 year old son thought that was gay.

Great post. Living in NC it is easy to hate on the Canes. I was also at March 8th game with my family. It was great seeing all of the Sabres fans at the game, in fact my enire row was filled with Buffal fans. The Canes fans have this silly chant after an opponents penalty "cheaters never win". Even my 9 year old son thought that was gay.

The Predators fans have about 5 or 6 cringe worthy chants they do as well. Must be a southern thing.

The Predators fans have about 5 or 6 cringe worthy chants they do as well. Must be a southern thing.

You also have to take into account that football is to the South what hockey is to northern states and all of Canada: they are geographical religions.

You never cease to amaze me. It just seems like whenever you post, there's plenty of substance there (as opposed to Obamian fluff).

Ditto. If you had to live amongst these team swapping fans otherwise known as "caniacs" during the 2006 playoffs I promise they'd be at or near the top of your list as well.

Completely agree. I lived down there for many years. They claim that our fans were horrible and acted like cave people down there during the EC Finals in 06. I was at two of those games. What they were really pissed about was the fact that our 6,000 fans were louder than their 14,000 fans. It's not our fault we have more love and pride for our team than they do. And during those two games, the ONLY incident that I personally witnessed was a Canes fan making fun of a Buffalo fan who then responded by telling the guy to go watch a sport he could understand, like NASCAR. So, the Canes guy was INSTIGATING, and then they whine.

Not to mention, I hate teams that dive. And Carolina does have a real problem with baiting calls.

Archived