Cane hate?

inkman

Where do you think the knowledgeable 'Canes fans came from? Probably carpetbaggers!

??

It is what it is...

This is a true statement for the most part. Most of the people I know with interests in hockey moved here to NC from somewhere else. I?ll include myself in this group. I grew up in CT and have been a fan of the Whalers/Canes since the WHA days. I moved to North Carolina to attend UNC and much to my delight, my favorite hockey team followed my move south 8 years later.

Sure, there isn?t much hockey tradition down here, but why would there be? We don?t have ice! Growing up I played pond hockey almost every day in the winter. That?s hard to do down here on a 70 degree sunny day in the winter. We just don?t have that same grassroots base here to build off of. Hopefully that will change. Interest is growing. Ice rinks are going up all over NC these days thanks to the Hurricanes and the NHL.

This is a true statement for the most part. Most of the people I know with interests in hockey moved here to NC from somewhere else. I?ll include myself in this group. I grew up in CT and have been a fan of the Whalers/Canes since the WHA days. I moved to North Carolina to attend UNC and much to my delight, my favorite hockey team followed my move south 8 years later.

Sure, there isn?t much hockey tradition down here, but why would there be? We don?t have ice! Growing up I played pond hockey almost every day in the winter. That?s hard to do down here on a 70 degree sunny day in the winter. We just don?t have that same grassroots base here to build off of. Hopefully that will change. Interest is growing. Ice rinks are going up all over NC these days thanks to the Hurricanes and the NHL.

Do you post on letsgocanes or somewhere else?

I feel real old!

1.) Toronto - Great hate since '70!

2.) NY Islanders - Does anyone else remember Billy (A@@hloe) Smith, the playoff game and the eye poke? Class act!

3.) Ottawa - Easy to hate these bums

4.) Phily - That stupid "P" on there sweaters???

5.) NY Rangers - The whole roster!

Jeff

I think the flyers and islanders have to be number one in my book. Flyers for beating us in our first cup appearance and islanders for the Smith teams. I never hated the leafs we used to get together many a wed night in the mid to late 70's to drink labatts, eat 10 cent wings and watch the leafs lose.

However the last few years with the Canes are moving them up on the list, at one time I would have ranked them my second favorite team. However I am growing tired of the abuse we sabres fans get everytime we walk into the building. I am tired of wide right chants, Them putting Kelly up before the game saying lets go canes, the BS stuff they put up on their scoreboard putting down Buffalo and its people.

I think the flyers and islanders have to be number one in my book. Flyers for beating us in our first cup appearance and islanders for the Smith teams. I never hated the leafs we used to get together many a wed night in the mid to late 70's to drink labatts, eat 10 cent wings and watch the leafs lose.

However the last few years with the Canes are moving them up on the list, at one time I would have ranked them my second favorite team. However I am growing tired of the abuse we sabres fans get everytime we walk into the building. I am tired of wide right chants, Them putting Kelly up before the game saying lets go canes, the BS stuff they put up on their scoreboard putting down Buffalo and its people.

I was stationed at Cherry Point, NC (130 miles east of Raleigh) for 2 years. During my time down there, I saw countless trailer parks and tons of Jerry Springer type people (TPT- Trailer Park Trash). It would be great when the Canes come to Buffalo, that we would have a video clip of a couple of guys pretending to be toothless rednecks (kind of like that guy on TBS that does the Van Damme commercials, with the mullet and the van that has pictures of Van Damme spray painted on it), and just totally rip on the people of North Carolina. That would be awesome!

I was stationed at Cherry Point, NC (130 miles east of Raleigh) for 2 years. During my time down there, I saw countless trailer parks and tons of Jerry Springer type people (TPT- Trailer Park Trash). It would be great when the Canes come to Buffalo, that we would have a video clip of a couple of guys pretending to be toothless rednecks (kind of like that guy on TBS that does the Van Damme commercials, with the mullet and the van that has pictures of Van Damme spray painted on it), and just totally rip on the people of North Carolina. That would be awesome!

Haha honestly I already laughed just thinking about that. Too bad all of the games are such a "family atmosphere" or we could get away with that stuff...maybe. And I guess when we travel to play in Carolina, the Hurricanes could show a bunch of people without jobs on their jumbotron...

Haha honestly I already laughed just thinking about that. Too bad all of the games are such a "family atmosphere" or we could get away with that stuff...maybe. And I guess when we travel to play in Carolina, the Hurricanes could show a bunch of people without jobs on their jumbotron...

I think with what happens when we're at the RBC arena, a good ribbing of North Carolina should be in order.

Hey crosscheckking you signature line is a bit rediculous. Not the content but the font. I get it you are angry. That's O.K.

At first I hated it but it actually distracts me from reading his posts, so I guess it's okay then.

Flyers and Sens are the top two hated teams for me for obvious reasons.

I'd put the Canes at #3 after going to Game 5 of the ECF in Raleigh. They tried to prevent Buffalo fans from getting tickets by limiting initial ticket sales to NC and neighboring states, but they must not have realized that virtually every WNY-er has at least one friend/ family member living in VA, NC, or some other neighboring state. The atmosphere was awesome due to the thousands of Sabre fans that made the trip and took over the parking lots and arena. Losing that game in OT was like a kick to the groin - the Sabres were the better team that series but just ran out of healthy D-men. Watching them win the Cup moved them up my list past the Isles, Habs, and Bruins.

Hey crosscheckking you signature line is a bit rediculous. Not the content but the font. I get it you are angry. That's O.K.

I told someone else last night to *hush* because I was grieving over the sorry season our beloved Sabres are having. Don't worry. I'll fix it.

BTW, inky. I know you don't need to elaborate why you hate Thomas Vanek. We have our separate reasons, but I don't like him either.

Schopp keeps mentioning his hatred of the Hurricanes and while I know some of you share it, I would like to understand my fellow fan. The Sabres had one injury filled playoff series against them and suddenly we all hate Carolina?

I have much more hate for Philly, Ottawa, Toronto and even Atlanta.

It's like hating a girl after a one night stand gone wrong instead of the girl who you were with forever that ripped your heart out. Yo no comprendo!

Inkman,

You would have to live in the Carolinas to understand and experience the crap I did in Raleigh during the ECF two years ago.

Laviolette in the hot seat?

The latest from DeCocks blog.

Gee, signing Labialette to a 5 year contract extension when he has had only one exceptional season with a horseshoe up his butt and Ward/Gerber's might not have been the best of ideas? Who'd've thunk it? :doh: (Hey, when did we re-lose the d'oh smiley?)

Inkman,

You would have to live in the Carolinas to understand and experience the crap I did in Raleigh during the ECF two years ago.

If everyone who hated the Canes was living in Carolina then I would understand but I know there are people living here that have the Canes as there most hated team.

I understand being the enemy in enemy territory. I'm a Red Sox fan in Yankee country, although I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around why Rochester NY is the Yankee capitol of the world. I think it has something to do with the large Italian American population in the area. When you are born in Rochester reigning from Italian decent, they give you a Rochester Raging Rhinos Rattler and a Yankee Wubbie. This can only be the answer because everything else points to bandwagon central.

• 2 weeks later...
If everyone who hated the Canes was living in Carolina then I would understand but I know there are people living here that have the Canes as there most hated team.

I understand being the enemy in enemy territory. I'm a Red Sox fan in Yankee country, although I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around why Rochester NY is the Yankee capitol of the world. I think it has something to do with the large Italian American population in the area. When you are born in Rochester reigning from Italian decent, they give you a Rochester Raging Rhinos Rattler and a Yankee Wubbie. This can only be the answer because everything else points to bandwagon central.

*BUMP*

BTW, I see you still hate Thomas Vanek. Yeah, hindsight is 20/20, but I sure wish that DR had sent his rear end off to Edmonton for those 4 first round picks.

Red Sox as opposed to Yankees, huh? Okay, I must really be the odd man out. There's the good, the bad, and the ugly (Toronto Blue Jays). I loved the Jays right up to their World Series titles, but that went downhill when they either traded or fired their players and staff. Ah, those were the days, and I still miss Joe Carter.

Archived