Marty may not be a Flyer for long,

RayFinkle

Martin Biron's wife is expected in town today to begin evaluating the city and determining whether she wants her husband to re-sign here. GM Paul Holmgren said that until the goalie tells him that everything is fine with his wife, he will not begin negotiations with agent Gilles Lupien.

-- Philadelphia Inquirer

LINK

Is this guy F*cking kidding me??????????????

He was a back-up goalie for how many freaking years and now he goes to a team that is welcoming him as the starter with open arms, and he might turn them down if his wife doesn't like the City? Who does he think he is? He's not a Hasek, or a Kiprusoff, Luongo, Brodeur, etc. that is an established top level starter who could go to wherever he choses. He is a backup goalie who could be a capable starter if given the chance.

I said it before he was traded - a move like this (trade and re-sign a new contract) might be the best thing for Marty. I really think that he is overestimating his value on the open market, and he might be in for a rude awakening if he thinks he'll draw a lot of interest and money to be someone's no.1 guy. I hope I am wrong, but I would hate to see Marty not getting a shot at being a starter/no. 1 guy because he let his wife veto the city/team he was traded to...

If Marty can make the same buck almost anywhere, why not go where the family's happy?

I don't think he can make the same amount of money elsewhere. Philly has given up a high pick for him and they have made it known that they want him as the number one goalie. That is a huge bargaining chip that will work in Marty's favor when he's talking contracts the Flyers.

I don't think he can make the same amount of money elsewhere. Philly has given up a high pick for him and they have made it known that they want him as the number one goalie. That is a huge bargaining chip that will work in Marty's favor when he's talking contracts the Flyers.

If he proves himself as a legit number 1 guy over the next month, which he is going a great job at so far (with the exception of the game the other night), he might get bigger bucks on the open market.

If he proves himself as a legit number 1 guy over the next month, which he is going a great job at so far (with the exception of the game the other night), he might get bigger bucks on the open market.

The question is, how many teams are there that need a borderline #1/1a sort of goalie for next year?

Here's a quick look at who might be in the market for his services.

Teams that Marty would be an immediate improvement over their current situation:

East: Philly, Florida, Boston

West: St. Louis, LA

Teams where he might be an upgrade, or might be a 1a/1b guy:

Tampa, Washington, Phoenix, Toronto, Colorado, Columbus.

Additionally, you have teams that have backups who are as good, if not better, than Marty and will start pushing to be a starter somewhere, such as Anaheim, San Jose and Minnesota, and some teams have young goalies coming up that might push out established goalies, so I think the market is going to be very hit-or-miss for goalies this offseason.

Remember these are the ramblings of sleep-deprived new father, so I might be missing some guys or under-/over-estimating some teams' situations. Maybe someone who has seen more of the Western Conference can elaborate on some other teams that could be interested in Marty, or can correct me on teams from the East...

You guys kill me. How can you blame the guy for wanting to make sure that his wife likes the area? For those of you who are married, would you make a decision about where to live without talking to your wife? If not, I doubt that you would be married that long.

Marty is a free agent at the end of the year. He and his wife can make a decision about where they want to live then. I actually would prefer that they decide that he plays for another team. I hate the friggen Flyers and feel a little dirty of late rooting for Marty as a Flyer.

You guys kill me. How can you blame the guy for wanting to make sure that his wife likes the area? For those of you who are married, would you make a decision about where to live without talking to your wife? If not, I doubt that you would be married that long.

Marty is a free agent at the end of the year. He and his wife can make a decision about where they want to live then. I actually would prefer that they decide that he plays for another team. I hate the friggen Flyers and feel a little dirty of late rooting for Marty as a Flyer.

He's in a different situation then most people

He only has a choice of 30 places where he can work, and not all those places want him, or are willing to pay him as much as others. He is not in a position where he can pick and chose where his wife likes to go make the money and be a starter, theres only about 4-5 places that are looking for a starter, and a bunch of people looking for the same job.

Please Marty. Do the right thing and leave Philly after this year. Giving up a high second rounder for a rental goalie by the worst team in the league would be priceless. Until you have lived here, you have no idea how obnoxious these friggin Fly-boy fans are. Heard Holmgren talking to a local sports guy today. Local guy says after learning she's from Buffalo and he from Quebec, "Well who'd wanna go back to Buffalo?!"

Here's a quick look at who might be in the market for his services.

Teams that Marty would be an immediate improvement over their current situation:

East: Philly, Florida, Boston

West: St. Louis, LA

Teams where he might be an upgrade, or might be a 1a/1b guy:

Tampa, Washington, Phoenix, Toronto, Colorado, Columbus.

Wherever you may go.........there is always something to remind me............of another place in time........

:blink: Um... He's a professional athlete. His wife isn't. :wallbash:

I said it before he was traded - a move like this (trade and re-sign a new contract) might be the best thing for Marty. I really think that he is overestimating his value on the open market, and he might be in for a rude awakening if he thinks he'll draw a lot of interest and money to be someone's no.1 guy. I hope I am wrong, but I would hate to see Marty not getting a shot at being a starter/no. 1 guy because he let his wife veto the city/team he was traded to...

So true! A snooty wife doesn't help too! Hey... I rhymed!... That should be a quote somewhere! :D

An analogy... I work for the fed gov't... I see it all the time... You say: "What (WTF) are you talking about?"

What I am trying to say is... Marty has been with BFLO ALL his career... Too long in a matter of fact... Basically, he is institutionalized! Just like many of the strokes I see at work everyday... Actually, thinking they can make it in the "real world"/job market...

Forget about it Marty!

For me you ask? :nana: :nana: I accept I am in a dream world... I couldn't survive a minute out there... Let alone go through on the job internet detox... ;) ;)

So Marty... You should take my advice... Actually, it would have been better to take this advice BEFORE you wanted a trade!

That advice:

"Every plowman knows their lot."

And... Gee... I hope the "over value bug" doesn't rub off on your past roomie!

On another note... That is why I was getting bad vibes/karma after the trade... Darcy really stroked Marty, IMO... Even know, Marty wanted out, yadda, yadda, yadda... He seems like SUCH a nice guy, caring, etc... Yet, VERY naive, IMO... And that (what Darcy did) isn't a nice thing to do if you are Darcy (I know it makes business sense though!)... Even if Marty came off as being snooty by wanting out... I don't know the man (Marty) from Adam, but it appears he seems like a very swell guy!... Really!

Wow... What a cluster eff!!

:D :D

Until you have lived here, you have no idea how obnoxious these friggin Fly-boy fans are.

"The most intimidating fans in hockey." -- Billboards and TV ads on Comcast Sportsnet during the game

"It's nice to see the Flyers are embracing their inner thug." -- My girlfriend after seeing aforementioned ads.

Heard Holmgren talking to a local sports guy today. Local guy says after learning she's from Buffalo and he from Quebec, "Well who'd wanna go back to Buffalo?!"

I know which city I'd rather live in, and it's not the one with Flyers games on TV. :)

PS: Flyers fans boo members or *their own* starting line-up (Hatcher, etc) before the game.

PPS: Overheard at the Sabres/Flyers game in November after Buffalo scored: "Yeah, well you try winning with Hatcher and Rathje on your team!"

why all the speculation... Unless he is playing for us. All i know is that I hate rooting for the flyers and it actually bothers me to pull for them. i cant stand hearing them say how they can't wait to sign Briere or how they will be back next year. I want them to suck forever. :angry:

Archived