Marty may not be a Flyer for long,

RayFinkle

He is a free agent at the end of the season. He and his wife can decide where they want their family to be.

Of course they can, but they are limited to teams that want him as a starter, or is he going to be willing to go somewhere that he will become a backup again just to make the wife happy she isn't stuck in a town she doesn't like

Philadelphia is giving him the opportunity that he has been wanting for years, they are handing him the starting job and want him locked up longterm, he might turn it down because his wife might not like the City?

why all the speculation... Unless he is playing for us. All i know is that I hate rooting for the flyers and it actually bothers me to pull for them. i cant stand hearing them say how they can't wait to sign Briere or how they will be back next year. I want them to suck forever. :angry:

it doesn't matter what former Sabres plays for them, I still won't root for them, and they are now the enemy.

I was nice to Biron when he left, but now that he plays in Philly, he's dead to me and I don't care how he plays. If Briere goes there now too, I will wish him luck the day he leaves and then the next day, he becomes the enemy

Too bad Philly won't suck forever, and it looks like they may become good by next year as they are fdoing a good job at rebuilding right now, and will have a full offseason to continue it with a top 2 pick. They are now also under new management that is being guided by a former Sabres scout who is modeling the team after Buffalo

You guys kill me. How can you blame the guy for wanting to make sure that his wife likes the area? For those of you who are married, would you make a decision about where to live without talking to your wife? If not, I doubt that you would be married that long.

Marty is a free agent at the end of the year. He and his wife can make a decision about where they want to live then. I actually would prefer that they decide that he plays for another team. I hate the friggen Flyers and feel a little dirty of late rooting for Marty as a Flyer.

Exactly. I'd be curious to know which of the posters decrying Marty in this thread are married (and if they'd be comfortable with their wives reading their sentiments on this topic).

Too bad Philly won't suck forever, and it looks like they may become good by next year as they are fdoing a good job at rebuilding right now, and will have a full offseason to continue it with a top 2 pick. They are now also under new management that is being guided by a former Sabres scout who is modeling the team after Buffalo

I don't think it will happen that quickly for them. They still have to replace almost all their defensive corps. And if Marty does leave, finding a replacement goalie will be their #1 priority.

They'll turn the corner, but it took the Sabres a few years to rebuild their backline, and it will probably take the Flyers the same amount of time.

Exactly. I'd be curious to know which of the posters decrying Marty in this thread are married (and if they'd be comfortable with their wives reading their sentiments on this topic).

Personally i am married if i made 2.2 million a year then the wife would have to suck it up and live where ever i chose to play (or was chosen). Sure she might be a little grumpy cause the country club click isn't as fun as the prior city or whatever but she could chose where to live for the rest of our married lives together after i was done working.

Personally i am married if i made 2.2 million a year then the wife would have to suck it up and live where ever i chose to play (or was chosen). Sure she might be a little grumpy cause the country club click isn't as fun as the prior city or whatever but she could chose where to live for the rest of our married lives together after i was done working.

Or you could wait a month, make the same, if not more money and have your choice several cities to live. Yeah, sounds like his wife is a really dummy....

Or you could wait a month, make the same, if not more money and have your choice several cities to live. Yeah, sounds like his wife is a really dummy....

Theres no guarantee anyone is going to be interested in him as a starter in the offseason. Right now he has a team that is handing the job to him and obviously giving him the money he wants (because all he says he is waiting on is the wife to say if she like Philly or not)

And no, I'm not married, but If I have a chance to pull in millions as a starter for any sports team, I'm going to whomever is willing to take me, especially after I am finally getting a chance to be the #1 guy after years of being a #2

This is a Brodeur or Hasek, who can pick and chose and be a #1 guy anywhere. People aren't beating down doors to sign Marty to be their #1 guy

Exactly right. Sure, Marty's wife can have a little input on where he'll play next year when he's a UFA (athletes always consider whats best for their families), but he's a professional athlete and he'll look out for his best interest on the ice just as much. This is the same guy that demanded a trade out of Buffalo for a number one spot. If his wife loves Buffalo, why didn't she stop him then?

:blink: IF you don't think there will be teams lining up to sign him, I don't know what to say.

You think teams will be lining up for an unproven veteran goaltender to come in and not have to compete for a starting job. There might be 2-3 including the Flyers that might, but there are also other goalies available too.

I don't think there is going to be a huge demand for him, he really hasn't proven much yet as a starting goalie

You think teams will be lining up for an unproven veteran goaltender to come in and not have to compete for a starting job. There might be 2-3 including the Flyers that might, but there are also other goalies available too.

I don't think there is going to be a huge demand for him, he really hasn't proven much yet as a starting goalie

I'll second that. Who is going to line up to sign him? I think there will be interest, probably from up to 4-6 teams, but we aren't going to see some sort of Marty Biron sweepstakes. Besides, I think teams will pay more attention to guys like Giguere and Backstrom (Minn) who are both slated to be UFAs, or will try to pry Toskala loose from the Sharks or Mason from the Preds...

I have a problem with you using the term "unproven" here. Marty is certainly proven if your using the term the way I think you are. He's started over 200 games in his career and his best year came when he started over 70 games.

I have a problem with you using the term "unproven" here. Marty is certainly proven if your using the term the way I think you are. He's started over 200 games in his career and his best year came when he started over 70 games.

No, no he is an unproven back-up! Like I said earlier, there is no point in trying to argue the point with these guys.

The Sabres traded Marty becuase they knew the wouldn't be able to afford him once he hit the free market.

Philly gave up an early second for him because they wanted the exclusive right to try and sign him before he hit the open market to avoid the bidding war.

Easy guys. The conventional wisdom here in Hockey-hell (aka Philly) is that Marty is in the driver's seat in the negotiations. The exact words I've heard used is, "Biron has them over a barrel". I agree. Philly spent a high pick to get him here with the intent of signing him before he hit free-agency. Now if Clark were still here...strike that...making THESE decisions (he is back on the Flyer payroll believe it or not), I'd say it was yet another bad move. But, as much as it pains me to say it, they've been looking like a team that has a clue since Clarkie stepped down as gm. Marty absolutely has value on the market.

Just a couple of things here. First, I don't have a problem with Marty consulting with his wife and family and going to a situation that is best for him and his family. Just because you get paid a ton of money doesn't necessarily mean that you should sacrifice your quality of life, and by that I mean things like friends, home, community, etc. I am married, and I'm quite certain that any future places that I live will be contingent upon my wife agreeing with me and willing to go along. If she doesn't like it, then I'm not willing to ruin her life.

Second, and most importantly, who isn't to say this is a negotiating ploy by Marty? He knows he's got the #1 goalie job handed to him in Philly. Who's to say he is not using this wife ploy as a means to get more money out of Philadelphia? I disagree with the sentiment that he doesn't have value on the open market. When he was the starter, he was behind some bad Sabre teams. The Sabres have become really good and I think Miller and Biron have succeeded because of the talent around them and the "new" NHL. Given that, I think Marty could go to another team, with some decent talent to build around, and he'll be very successful. So, I think he knows his situation, and he's probably using this wife thing as a negotiating ploy to get more money out of Philly, which again, I don't really have a problem with either. Just my opinion.

I don't think anyone is saying that he has no value on the open market. I think what some of us are saying is that there are very few teams that need starting goalies, and there are going to be other goalies out there, either via FA or trade, that are going to garner more attention than Marty.

As for his wife - I don't think it's unreasonable to get input from his wife, family, friends, whoever - he should just be careful about overplaying his hand (see above re: available market for goalies) and he should be careful about letting his wife veto a LT deal just because she doesn't like the area or city. Ultimately, it is his career and if he was that concerned about her liking the area, he could have stayed as a backup for a lower salary in Buffalo. Part of being married to a pro athlete is trading the stability and normalcy of a regular life for the higher salaries and fame.

If it is a negotiating ploy, I hope it works out for him - but I really hope it doesn't blow up in his face.

why all the speculation... Unless he is playing for us. All i know is that I hate rooting for the flyers and it actually bothers me to pull for them. i cant stand hearing them say how they can't wait to sign Briere or how they will be back next year. I want them to suck forever. :angry:

Don't worry... You can root for them now and ONLY now... They are eliminated from the playoffs...

Marty did help and beat the MockingBirds (Thrashers) tonight... And wasn't he having a rough go of it against the Thrashers while in BFLO???

Spoil on Cryers!

• 2 weeks later...

wow. $3.4 million per year for a guy with zero playoff wins who was unable to seize the #1 job for a non-playoff team despite multiple chances over a 3-year period.

I'm happy for Marty, but this doesn't bode well for this summer.

wow. $3.4 million per year for a guy with zero playoff wins who was unable to seize the #1 job for a non-playoff team despite multiple chances over a 3-year period.

I'm happy for Marty, but this doesn't bode well for this summer.

I wouldn't read to much into that. It is a two year contract, not too long, they are

giving him a little more money to be the number 1 in a rebuilding scenario.

It is a move that makes sense for the Flyers.

Darcy basically conceded that there was very little market for the guy.

I wouldn't read to much into that. It is a two year contract, not too long, they are

giving him a little more money to be the number 1 in a rebuilding scenario.

It is a move that makes sense for the Flyers.

Darcy basically conceded that there was very little market for the guy.

I'm not saying Darcy didn't do well in the trade -- he did much better than I was expecting. I'm just saying that salary inflation seems to be continuing, and that there is likely a "halo effect" for Sabres free agents that is at work as well. Since we've got a few guys (can't remember who) due for free agency this summer...

I'm not saying Darcy didn't do well in the trade -- he did much better than I was expecting. I'm just saying that salary inflation seems to be continuing, and that there is likely a "halo effect" for Sabres free agents that is at work as well. Since we've got a few guys (can't remember who) due for free agency this summer...

You're thinking of Adam Mair, right? B-)

Archived