Dear Gary

wjag

Ummm...when did Tom become Governor?

There is nothing manly about hitting a

player that can't see you.

Pigs would fly out of TG's mouth before this statement would. It's sound like a 4th grader wrote it. (I really hope he didn't after saying that) :unsure:

No effin way that is real.

WGR is the offical voice/radio station of the Sabres. I highly doubt they would post this on the front page of their website if it weren't authentic.

Gary B. Bettman, Commissioner,

National Hockey League,

1251 Avenue of the Americas, 47th Floor

New York, NY 10020

February 24, 2007

Dear Gary,

I am deeply concerned with the standard the NHL has adopted that seems

to allow violent hits to the head.

In light of the most recent injury to our captain Chris Drury, I am

calling on you to address this issue immediately before another player

is seriously injured or worse.

In our recent game with the Ottawa Senators, an opposing player skated

half the width of the ice surface, approached Chris Drury from his blind

side, and delivered a blow to his head which dislodged his helmet,

severely lacerating the area around his eye causing a concussion. Chris

Drury did not have the puck, he was not able to see the player coming

from behind, and had relaxed his guard. The player in question was aware

his presence was undetected but chose to deliver a vicious blow, which

can only be construed as intent to injure.

Hitting is a very important part of our game. You hit to break up a

shot, you hit to disrupt a pass, you hit to battle for the puck and you

hit to gain position for a defensive or offensive play. There are many

times a player is vulnerable. And there are many times when a player can

make a hit on a vulnerable player but chooses not to for fear of

injuring an opponent for no practical advantage. It's called respect.

What we cannot allow are hits that are designed to injure and maim. The

hit delivered to Chris Drury the other night was a hit to injure. In my

view there is no other way to view that play.

As you know, we have been on the other end of hits which cause injury to

the head. Tim Connolly, our star offensive player was knocked out of the

Stanley Cup by this same team. Although I didn't like it, Tim's

situation is very different. He had the puck; he was making a play and

could have reasonably seen the approaching player. I never complained.

This situation is very different.

Your office informed our team today that the hit on Chris Drury was a

legal hit and that it fit within the standard of play acceptable to the

NHL. We do not think this should be the standard and we do not think it

helps our game or the league. There is nothing manly about hitting a

player that can't see you. There is nothing entertaining about a big man

hitting a smaller man in the head. There is nothing good to come of a

policy that allows exciting skilled players to be targets for what I

believe to be predatory play.

I strongly urge you to convene the appropriate forum to immediately

review this policy.

Sincerely,

B. Thomas Golisano,

Governor

If this is legit, I would have to believe that someone helped TG word this letter, as TG is still learning the game of hockey. Tom has openely admitted in the past that he don't know jack about the game. I remember when he was watching his first game before he took over ownership, he wondered why everyone was leaving after the 3rd period. He kept saying, where are you guys going? the 4th quarter hasn't started yet. :doh:

If this is legit, I would have to believe that someone helped TG word this letter, as TG is still learning the game of hockey. Tom has openely admitted in the past that he don't know jack about the game. I remember when he was watching his first game before he took over ownership, he wondered why everyone was leaving after the 3rd period. He kept saying, where are you guys going? the 4th quarter hasn't started yet. :doh:

He has a GM, a coach, lawyers...

Ummm...when did Tom become Governor?

There is nothing manly about hitting a

player that can't see you.

Pigs would fly out of TG's mouth before this statement would. It's sound like a 4th grader wrote it. (I really hope he didn't after saying that) :unsure:

What is wrong with that statement that it would have to be written by a fourth grader?

Coming out of the lockout, Golisano has to be considered one of the most successful owners in the league. He's also a self-made billionaire. This is the type of owner the league should listen to.

And he's right in the letter. With all the regulation going on around diving, hooking, and high-sticking, it's utterly ridiculous that the league refuses to regulate shots to the head.

Golisano make a good distinction. If the player is playing the puck with his head down, and gets hit, like Connolly did, that's allowable. If a player gets hit high, after releasing the puck, even if its a half second late, it's a penalty, and a possible fine and/or suspension.

That might be severe, but the league has been taken up a no-tolerance policy against hooking and high-sticking. Adopting the same no-tolerance policy against a play that could end a guy's career, only makes sense.

Football has regulated shots to the head for years. The fact that Golisano even has to write this letter, is unbelievable.

IMO, Golisano is showing tremendous leadership in calling out the condescending idiots that make up the league's "braintrust."

I don't expect anything to come of it, except for some smarmy, smug, condescending remarks from Colin Campbell and Bettman, but I think Golisano is dead-on in calling attention to the league's problems with discipline, penalty consistency, etc.

I also think that Bruce Garrioch is a complete moron for toeing the company line, and taking a shot at Golisano. He sounds like a PR shill for the Sens, and he should be ashamed as a journalist for sounding like he is employed by the Sens and not the Ottawa Sun. Major Kudos to Sylvester for cutting that ass off at the end of the interview.

IMO, Golisano is showing tremendous leadership in calling out the condescending idiots that make up the league's "braintrust."

I don't expect anything to come of it, except for some smarmy, smug, condescending remarks from Colin Campbell and Bettman, but I think Golisano is dead-on in calling attention to the league's problems with discipline, penalty consistency, etc.

I also think that Bruce Garrioch is a complete moron for toeing the company line, and taking a shot at Golisano. He sounds like a PR shill for the Sens, and he should be ashamed as a journalist for sounding like he is employed by the Sens and not the Ottawa Sun. Major Kudos to Sylvester for cutting that ass off at the end of the interview.

Garrioch showed himself to be a tool when he brought up the Umberger hit, which was very similar to the Connolly hit (both guys were playing the puck). Golisano explained that the Connolly hit was legal, yet there's Garrioch bringing up Umberger.

Really Bruce, use your brain for something more than a navigational device to the buffet table.

WOW- now I understand the feelings of the Buffalo fans. The team owner feeds into the hysteria with inaccuracies and rediculus contradictory explanations.

First- the player in question did not skate halfway across the ice to deliver the hit....... it was about 5 feet at most (from when the puck was shot to the time of the hit).

Next- he complains about a big man hitting a smaller man...... if he trule believes that- he needs to rebiew the tapes of his team grabbing Heatley around the head- and then the subsequent fights where the larger Buffalo players hit the smaller Ottawa players. After this review he will have no choice but to fine and discipline his own players.

Until he does that- He shows no class- just whinning- and he and his team are not deserving of the respect of the rest of the league.

Archived