Senator Fans gloating about hit on Message Boards

matter2003

Yup on TSN's site, after the story on the game they let you type a message and most of the Sens fans are crying that it was a clean legal hit and that the story was wrong, it wasn't from behind, Drury was daydreaming and got hit. Then Ruf should be suspended for his actions for putting goons on the ice against the Sens (so called) "stars"

Ummmm.... gosh guys, I bet the Sens fans sound just like we did when Soupy laid out Umberger in the playoffs last year. What goes around, comes around. I'm glad the Sabres avenged it tonight, now let's move on and play some hockey. If the Sabres let Saturday turn into a brawl, they are making a serious mistake; it's done. The next game should be strictly business.

Ummmm.... gosh guys, I bet the Sens fans sound just like we did when Soupy laid out Umberger in the playoffs last year. What goes around, comes around. I'm glad the Sabres avenged it tonight, now let's move on and play some hockey. If the Sabres let Saturday turn into a brawl, they are making a serious mistake; it's done. The next game should be strictly business.

Sounds different than TC and RJ's hit... Both of those guys were in the play with the puck making it happen... As long as no elbows are flying it is okay to lay the body check down...

Sounds like CD just released the puck... Like I said about "finishing"... But where does the lateness come in?... And shouldn't that be standardized with all refs?... Not subjective here fellas... If that is the case some of you are making... Why can't a player just lay another player out at will, no matter what is happening with or WITHOUT the puck?

There is one big difference here. Soupy's hit was as clean as they come. Neil's was late and he was headhunting all the way. I can guarantee you Drury will not ever go after Neil because he is a classy player unlike Dumberger. Drury knows Peters, Mair or Kaleta will gladly beat the piss out of Neil for him because the Sabres are team tough, unlike Filthydelphia.

NO ChANCE!!!!

I bet the Sens fans sound just like we did when Soupy laid out Umberger in the playoffs last year. What goes around, comes around.

WTF?! If I see one more post from a purported Sabres fan saying that Neil's hit is anywhere near in the same category as Campbell's on Umberger or Schaefer's on Connolly, I am going to puke. :sick:

Neil was essentially coming from behind (not Claude Lemieux "behind" -- but more behind than not) and laid on the hit 2 seconds after Drury had dumped the puck toward the net. Both Umberger and Connolly got laid out while making a play on the puck. Big f'ing difference.

Tellingly, the best play by play guy in the NHL didn't even call the hit in real time because he was watching the puck move toward the corner like every other frickin person in the arena except for that god**mn cheap shot artist Neil.

I'm glad the Sabres avenged it tonight, now let's move on and play some hockey.

oh, agreed -- but as lindy said, a lot of different things can happen in a hockey game.

To be honest had it been say, Adam Mair, delivering the same check, in the same manner to say Dany Heatley, wouldn't we all be as giddy as a schoolgirl? I know I would be.

You're right, but I would also say it wasn't a clean hit in the same sentence. I've seen Sabres players make dirty hits. Remember Michael Peca. For all the good, hard, cleans hits he made, he had his share of dirty ones as well.

I don't even think many Philadelphia fans were saying it was a dirty hit, they were complaining cause they said the Sabres kept showing it on the screen and fans were cheering the hit.

Its the nature of the fans to defend their team so I don't blame the Sens fans 100% for saying it wasn't dirty.

If you look back at last year in the playoffs, no one was saying the hit on Connolly was dirty, or wrong, all of us were yelling at him for not keeping his head up while skating thru the middle with the puck.

Drury dumped the puck and seconds later was blindsided. Connolly and Umberger were hit from the front while sakting with the puck and had their heads down.

I always try looking at situations if the shoe was on the other foot.

Let's say Mair put a "Neil" on Alfredsson. Then Murray sends out Neil, McGratton and whoever else on their team that drops the gloves and they jump Briere, Pominville and Hecht.

Me thinks a few fans around these parts would be absolutely furious.

Let's say Mair put a "Neil" on Alfredsson. Then Murray sends out Neil, McGratton and whoever else on their team that drops the gloves and they jump Briere, Pominville and Hecht.

But then I'd ask myself. "Would Lindy be stupid enough to put those guys out there immediately after we cheap shot their Captain?"

I would be most pissed at Lindy for putting out that line when he should have known what was coming.

I would be pissed, but I also think our guys wouldn't turtle (ala Spezza) in the same situation. I know Hecht and Pommer would drop them. Briere, I'm not so sure about.

I would be furious if things happened as you describe. I'd be furious at Lindy for not having a clue about the dynamics of the situation.

I didn't KNOW Lindy would put out the 4th line at that point, but I hoped he would and expected he would. Was there ANYONE in the building, besides Captain Constipated, that DIDN'T expect Buffalo to be looking for some retribution?

Watching the game and seeing the replays, it took several viewings to realize Neil didn't hit him in the head with an elbow. Everybody that I have heard talk about the hit, initially thought the hit was from behind and/or it was an elbow to the head. Even though Lindy would have supported Mair in the situation you describe, he would have to have understood that it LOOKED dirty and would have expected Ottawa to try to get some retribution. While I have never thought Captain Constipated was a great coach, I did think he was at least adequate. He demonstrated that he has absolutely NO FEEL for the game. I hope he stays coach of the Otters for a long time, because they will not be a legitimate playoff threat as long as someone that out of touch is behind the bench.

Would you have seen it as a cheap shot - Or a solid body check?

It was a solid check that was cheap by first off being late, and secondly it came partially from behind. It was a great hit, but when and where it came from is what I have a problem with. I consider it to be dirty.

Would you have seen it as a cheap shot - Or a solid body check?

I would have initially thought it was a cheap shot. That's what it looks like watching it real time/real speed.

I then would have most likely rationalized that it wasn't REALLY a cheap shot.

I don't take any exception to you believing it was a good solid body check, or even believing it was legal. Whether either view is correct, doesn't change the fact that the hit was, much like Stevens' hit on Lindros, dirty. (And I can't stand Erica.)

Few things, HavlatisMyGod.

-Clean or dirty, he hit him LATE. That's suspect in and of itself.

-You don't take out the #1 guy.

-Neil is known for this Sh*t. He's a dirty player that singled out Drury. As evidenced by the fact he wasn't even in the play.

How's praying to Havlat working out for you? Must suck being in blackhawk purgatory.

Archived