Biron's value

inkman

Most of the intelligent posters I "know" on this board seem to understand Marty's value at this point. It's not very much.

I seem to keep finding people who think we are going to get a kings ransom. He's an unrestricted FA at the end of the season, meaning whoever trades for him has no guarantee of keeping him. So the team recieving Biron is ONLY trading for two months of service.

Marty is making a decent salary. What team that isn't playoff bound, because Darcy surely doesn't want to see Biron in the playoffs, will want an expensive player to help them not make the playoffs? Please explain to mean how Marty has any real value.

Marty is a good guy, but he's no better than many other starters in this league.

He will walk away in the summer and "hope" to land a starters job elsewhere. If we move him, it won't fetch us much. I'd say we keep him in case of injury to Miller. No point in moving him for a pick or a 3rd or 4th liner.

Most of the intelligent posters I "know" on this board seem to understand Marty's value at this point. It's not very much.

I seem to keep finding people who think we are going to get a kings ransom. He's an unrestricted FA at the end of the season, meaning whoever trades for him has no guarantee of keeping him. So the team recieving Biron is ONLY trading for two months of service.

Marty is making a decent salary. What team that isn't playoff bound, because Darcy surely doesn't want to see Biron in the playoffs, will want an expensive player to help them not make the playoffs? Please explain to mean how Marty has any real value.

He doesn't have any value to any team other than the Sabres and maybe Carolina or the Leafs. I think Marty has improved while on the bench and the Sabres still go deep into the playoffs with Marty BtPs.

He doesn't have any value to any team other than the Sabres and maybe Carolina or the Leafs. I think Marty has improved while on the bench and the Sabres still go deep into the playoffs with Marty BtPs.

Of all the potential playoff teams in both conferences, only Montreal and Tampa might be looking for short term netminder help. There would have to be an unbelievable deal for Regier to move him to those teams.

Long term, his worth is probably around $3 million/year, which isn't completely outrageous. Florida, Phoenix, and Detroit all have aging goalies, and might be interested long term in Biron. Los Angeles is a disaster in goal, so they might be interested long term.

With all that said, I don't think Biron is even on the 'active' market. He'll get a nice UFA deal in the offseason.

LOL, did you see the shot of Marty on the bench last game, he had a towell around his neck and as the camera was pointed at him he was trying to catch the end of it in his teeth to pull it over to one side more. He looked like a dog or something and the announcers were saying how great he was but he looked like the village idiot at that moment. It was just funny, no harm meant to marty, just funny that's all. Almost as funny as that Mike Folino look alike in the stands they kept showing :D

His true value should have been realized last offseason. Too bad contracts are guaranteed or we could just cut his rearend and save the cap money..No need for a 2 mill benchwarmer who will see no time when it counts. I cant wait for this debate to end...

Of all the potential playoff teams in both conferences, only Montreal and Tampa might be looking for short term netminder help. There would have to be an unbelievable deal for Regier to move him to those teams.

Long term, his worth is probably around $3 million/year, which isn't completely outrageous. Florida, Phoenix, and Detroit all have aging goalies, and might be interested long term in Biron. Los Angeles is a disaster in goal, so they might be interested long term.

With all that said, I don't think Biron is even on the 'active' market. He'll get a nice UFA deal in the offseason.

I almost put Detroit and Tampa on my list... Montreal seems to have folded their tents for the year, and I see them as in the selling mode.

BTW, I want my five minutes back Jerry Sullivan! That article today is classic idiocy.

i think biron will get roloson-type money next season on the open market, since he will essentially be doing the same exact thing rolo did moving from minnesota to edmonton. that is, going from a two-capable-goalie team to someplace with the clear advantage of winning the starting job and doing well...possibly taking a talented team with no adequate goaltender situation to the next level.

and yes, i still consider marty to be a capable netminder.

If Marty wass going to be traded to some team and be a starter I think he has answered that question many times before..

Not at this time of year. There isn't a playoff team out there looking for him to start. In 22 regular season games he can do the best deal for himself and maybe have his name etched someplace.

marty's value? he has none... but can anyone see him signing here at a reduced cost as a backup? It's far fetched, but i can see him doing that. He knows his role.

He's not a backup IMHO, and will likely increase his salary next season. He's not Miller or Hasek, but he is as good as Rollie or Ward. Some goalies just mature later, like Hasek or Roloson.

Marty is a good guy, but he's no better than many other starters in this league.

He will walk away in the summer and "hope" to land a starters job elsewhere. If we move him, it won't fetch us much. I'd say we keep him in case of injury to Miller. No point in moving him for a pick or a 3rd or 4th liner.

Actually there would be a point, a big point. Moving him for a pick or a cheap player will create MUCH needed cap space. Right now they are handcuffed to make any deal because they can't get salary. Most sellers want prospects, or picks for their Rental players. The Sabres can't make those kind of moves because they are too close to the cap and have to move a player to make room. So Biron for picks/prospects would need to be done.

I wouldn't say its impossible for something to happen, look at Edmonton last year getting Roloson for the playoffs. The problem is that there are a bunch of decent goalies on the market and not many buyers, and Darcy only makes a deal if it looks like he will come out as the winner of it. Unfortunatly he kept Marty too long for that too happen. It would have been better to move Marty for whatever he could get last season, and kept Mika as the backup. Mika would have re-signed as a backup here in the offseason and we would have a decent backup who's really affordable this year and not looking to move on to be a starter. Mika only went to Europe this season cause it was a better opportunity then competing to be Luongo's backup in Vancouver. I say give him a call in the offseason and see if he would be willing to come back and backup Miller

Actually there would be a point, a big point. Moving him for a pick or a cheap player will create MUCH needed cap space. Right now they are handcuffed to make any deal because they can't get salary. Most sellers want prospects, or picks for their Rental players. The Sabres can't make those kind of moves because they are too close to the cap and have to move a player to make room. So Biron for picks/prospects would need to be done.

I wouldn't say its impossible for something to happen, look at Edmonton last year getting Roloson for the playoffs. The problem is that there are a bunch of decent goalies on the market and not many buyers, and Darcy only makes a deal if it looks like he will come out as the winner of it. Unfortunatly he kept Marty too long for that too happen. It would have been better to move Marty for whatever he could get last season, and kept Mika as the backup. Mika would have re-signed as a backup here in the offseason and we would have a decent backup who's really affordable this year and not looking to move on to be a starter. Mika only went to Europe this season cause it was a better opportunity then competing to be Luongo's backup in Vancouver. I say give him a call in the offseason and see if he would be willing to come back and backup Miller

I agree with everything you've said except about prusing Mika. The Oilers gave up a 1st and conditional 3rd for Roloson last year. One would hope we could get as much if not more from possibly a team like the Avalanche who like Edmonton last year lack a true #1 goalie right now but could make a push for the playoffs if got one. I could see us making a similar trade if as it would free up some cap space and a roster spot which might allow us to package a pick/prospect and someone for Kevyn Adams and possibly Mikael Tellqvist.

Archived