Derek Roy

inkman

What exactly is Roy's potential? I haven't really heard too much about this and am curious to find out what my Sabrespace peers thoughts are. Here are some scouting reports:

Sportsnet.ca

Assets

Has a never-say-quit mentality and an impeccable work ethic. Sees the ice well and has a knack for racking up impressive point totals.

Flaws

At 5-9, he must avoid injuries--especially since he plays a physical game. Can he keep up production over the long haul?

Career potential

Top six forward.

BleedingBlueandGold.com

STRENGTHS:

fiesty and always working hard on the ice

excellent hockey sense

shifty with good passing ability

WEAKNESSES:

not a pure goalscorer

has a very bad reputation across the league as a diver

always will have to overcome lack of size

CAREER POTENTIAL:

Top-Six Forward

hockeysfuture.com

Talent Analysis

Roy possesses a lot of the same qualities that made previous undersized NHL stars Doug Gilmour and Thereon Fleury so successful. Roy has great determination, and a skill set to go along with that grit. He is a tireless worker, who has the speed and leg strength to put any defenseman on edge, and he is a fearless competitor.

I like the Gilmour comparison, maybe just not quite as nasty.

He's my favorite Sabre. I think his stick handling in the zone is second only to Brieres'. Pound for pound he brings it. He scraps in the corner, digs pucks out, stands in the crease (and takes the punishment as a result) and plays on a line with higher profile players.

I was happy to see him get a goal the other night. I don't get why he doesn't score more, but he seems to be the designated passer. He fits the Sabres style very well. He seems to me to be the "and" player in any trade. That is someone and Derek Roy were traded to ....

He seems to me to be the "and" player in any trade. That is someone and Derek Roy were traded to ....

I don't think he'll ever be traded unless it's for salary purposes. He's still just a pup and his ceiling is skyward. I think eventually he'll be a 100 point guy in this league.

I love the way Roy plays. I'm a little guy, myself, so I understand his determination and drive. We've got to have that to survive!

I liked him the first time I saw him play, when the team was flat, and he stickhandled all over the place, even while on his knees, in the neutral zone. I thought to myself, "This guy can be special."

glad he's a sabre. nasty, chirpin', divin' little sob. would be a player to hate on any other team.

potential? team leader, maybe an "A" in a few years? not sure about 100 points. i think his defense is good enough that he could have a regular on the pk or matching against top lines if needed.

I love his tenacity, especially on the PK. That's his biggest asset.

I don't think he'll do much more than 60 pts a year. And that is dependant upon having goal scorers for line mates.

The biggest issue I see with him is balance. It's just not that good. Diving aside, he has a difficult time staying on his feet and is easy to knock off the puck if he doesn't have full control.

That said, he'll be a solid competitor for years to come.

I was happy to see him get a goal the other night. I don't get why he doesn't score more, but he seems to be the designated passer. He fits the Sabres style very well. He seems to me to be the "and" player in any trade. That is someone and Derek Roy were traded to ....

He centers Max and Vanek most of the time. You can't help but pass the puck knowing what those guys can do.

I don't think he'll ever be traded unless it's for salary purposes. He's still just a pup and his ceiling is skyward. I think eventually he'll be a 100 point guy in this league.

I like Roy too, but this is crazy. He projects to finish this year with about 58 points. That is with the benefit of Max and Vanek on his line. There are only going to be about 5 100-point scorers in the whole league! Do you think Roy is as good as Crosby, LeCavalier, Briere, Thornton, etc.?

I like Roy too, but this is crazy. He projects to finish this year with about 58 points. That is with the benefit of Max and Vanek on his line. There are only going to be about 5 100-point scorers in the whole league! Do you think Roy is as good as Crosby, LeCavalier, Briere, Thornton, etc.?

Briere wasn't Briere until he got to Buffalo. I just got a hankerin Roy's going to be really special.

Briere wasn't Briere until he got to Buffalo. I just got a hankerin Roy's going to be really special.

Even if he does become special, I still don't see anywhere near 100 points.

And if the sky falls and he DOES eventually reach that plateau, you can come back to me and say you told me so. :beer:

Which could make him very valuable come trade deadline time. As much as Roy is liked sometimes you have to give up something to get something in return, see Keith Ballard for Chris Drury. I'd welcome a move of Roy if can get a top 4 Dman that could help guide us to a Cup this season and possibly replace Numminen next year. As let's not forget we do have Marek Zagrapan in Rochester who might end up being better then Roy.

Archived