My $.02 on Center Ice package

envirojeff

I absolutely LOVE the Center Ice package, but I see one major improvement that needs to be looked at by powers that be.

Make a choice available for home and away "Local" feeds. It shouldn't be that difficult? I would even pay more to hear RJ and JL's play-by-play.

I was so GD pissed last night when I saw that TSN was doing the game! They're right up there with VS's and the bozos that do the Boston games. This issue really gets under my skin and I feel that it can be resolved fairly easy.

Jeff

I absolutely LOVE the Center Ice package, but I see one major improvement that needs to be looked at by powers that be.

Make a choice available for home and away "Local" feeds. It shouldn't be that difficult? I would even pay more to hear RJ and JL's play-by-play.

I was so GD pissed last night when I saw that TSN was doing the game! They're right up there with VS's and the bozos that do the Boston games. This issue really gets under my skin and I feel that it can be resolved fairly easy.

Jeff

Completely agree. I was looking forward to seeing Phil Housley's induction which TSN didn't show (Not sure if MSG did anything for this though), but they did do a rather short interview with him.

I watch the games on Center Ice via Comcast and usually if there's a night with over 10 games, they will fail to find channels for a few of the later games. I don't see why they can't routinely put those games on the channels where the 7pm games were on, like they have done occasionally.

my biggest complaint for Comcast's CI, is that AS SOON as the buzzer goes off, they IMMEDIATELY shut down their feed.

sometimes, they'll even shut down the feed for the commercials (i've only seen this during the Habs french feed).

Jeff

My one friend gets CI through the DISH network and that's exactly what he gets - he is able to choose between both team feeds for each game. I'm sure bandwidth is the issue for DirecTV. Once they upgrade, I'm also hoping all games will be in HD next year as well!

my biggest complaint for Comcast's CI, is that AS SOON as the buzzer goes off, they IMMEDIATELY shut down their feed.

sometimes, they'll even shut down the feed for the commercials (i've only seen this during the Habs french feed).

The ones where they cut off during commercials are usually games that are airing in canada on ppv. I don't know what the canadians see during those breaks though.

Lumping TSN in with Jack Edwards? That may be one of the worst things I've ever seen. Sure, they're usually biased towards the canadian teams, but at least they actually know what they're talking about. Any Buffalo fan should enjoy the Tie Domi segments they run since he's so pro Buffalo at this point.

Jeff

I also hate never knowing whchi feed your going to get either. Usually it's the home teams feed, so I was really upset we had to deal with TSN numbskulls last night.

you know what really blows about CI? Here in Canada, if our local station CBC, Sportsnet or TSN are showing a regional game, you can't get the regional game for another Canadian team they have the rights for.

For example, in my area, it's the Oilers usually, sometimes the Flames that are the local team, even though I live 7 or 8 hours away from both places. So if my local channel is playing the Oilers and Sharks, while the Sabres are playing the Canucks, Flames, Sens, Habs or Leafs, I can't see the game.

On Saturday, the Pens play the Leafs and I'm sure that will be the nationally televised game on CBC. CBC is also showing the Sabres/Flames. If CBC shows the Leafs nationally, and decides not to show the Flames in my region, I can't get it at all, not even on CI.

Now I just signed up for CI last week finally. Perhaps this policy has changed, we'll see. But it really pisses me off that I pay money to see NHL games and for no good reason CBC, TSN or Sportsnet block me from seeing the Canadian team I want to see (even though I only want to see them because they play the Sabres).

I wish Gary Buttman would step in and fix that little flaw.

For 20 out of the last 23 years, I haven't lived in Buffalo. I'm happy to actually SEE the Sabres play. Would it be great to only get RJ's call? Sure it would. DTV just doesn't have the bandwidth to do it. I'll take what I can get, even if it means listening to jackasses, retards, and numbskulls.

I'll take what I can get, even if it means listening to jackasses, retards, and numbskulls.

Does that pertain to Sabres message boards as well? :lol:

Well, what DirecTV can do is this: not blackout the channels showing hockey if you have the CI package. For example, if the Sabres are playing the Caps, just don't blackout those stations (MSG and CSN) on the Sports Tier package. That way you have your pick of who you want to watch/listen to (local blackout rules would apply, however).

I don't think it's bandwith with DTV...they show programs on those regional sports networks anyways...

Does that pertain to Sabres message boards as well? :lol:

Well, what DirecTV can do is this: not blackout the channels showing hockey if you have the CI package. For example, if the Sabres are playing the Caps, just don't blackout those stations (MSG and CSN) on the Sports Tier package. That way you have your pick of who you want to watch/listen to (local blackout rules would apply, however).

I don't think it's bandwith with DTV...they show programs on those regional sports networks anyways...

I hadn't thought about that. You're right! Dammit!! Not you; Center Ice!

My one friend gets CI through the DISH network and that's exactly what he gets - he is able to choose between both team feeds for each game. I'm sure bandwidth is the issue for DirecTV. Once they upgrade, I'm also hoping all games will be in HD next year as well!

Word on the street is that DTV will be expanding the HD lineup significantly before the end of 2007 to include HD broadcasts of regional sports networks -- which CI uses to show the hockey games.

Jeff

AGREE or at least have sirius offer me the option of what feed I want like they do for NFL than will just use my DVR to pause the game till sirius catches up. alot of time I use internet to listen and view whomever the center ice game is on

I also hate never knowing whchi feed your going to get either. Usually it's the home teams feed, so I was really upset we had to deal with TSN numbskulls last night.

You can go HERE to get the February CI feed schedule, and can also sing up to get the schedules emailed to you each month.

As to how they choose - I don't think there is any rhyme or reason as to which feed we get. Looking at this month's schedule, I don't see any pattern to the feeds. Maybe I am missing something...

Jeff

The Turner South feeds bug me, they make it sound like the South is the center of all that is sports related. Blah. I agree, I'd pay more to get RJ all the time. The free 'net feed is too out of sync to use that as the audio, as well...

You can go HERE to get the February CI feed schedule, and can also sing up to get the schedules emailed to you each month.

As to how they choose - I don't think there is any rhyme or reason as to which feed we get. Looking at this month's schedule, I don't see any pattern to the feeds. Maybe I am missing something...

Thanks.

Great, that helps alot. As far as how they pick feeds, it's most likely the cheapest! ;)

Jeff

Word on the street is that DTV will be expanding the HD lineup significantly before the end of 2007 to include HD broadcasts of regional sports networks -- which CI uses to show the hockey games.

Source? Got a link? That would be great (although I don't think MSG shows the Sabres in HD).

Gotta agree. TSN are far better than any Versus network or other hometown squads, aside from a few.

For a Canadian outfit they call the game quite evenly. They very much enjoy the Sabres and give them their kudos when warranted. Why do you think they have so many Sabres game on this year?

Everyone enjoys RJ of course if you are the hometown team. But guess what guys? People outside of Buffalo can't stand RJ. That's the way it is.

Personally, if I was able to watch the games I'd be happy, no matter who was calling it. Take it from a fan who only sees the team play 10 times tops this year. Which is up about 7 games from any other year.

Personally, if I was able to watch the games I'd be happy, no matter who was calling it. Take it from a fan who only sees the team play 10 times tops this year. Which is up about 7 games from any other year.

boo yah. same here. i've only seen the bruins games on nesn and the two road games vs. the habs and blues during the thanksgiving and xmas weekends when i was home (both OT losses).

the biggest suckage about not living in northern ny with my family is the fact that i don't get to watch don cherry every saturday night. :cry:

thanks to whoever mentioned his segments being up on yoube now.

boo yah. same here. i've only seen the bruins games on nesn and the two road games vs. the habs and blues during the thanksgiving and xmas weekends when i was home (both OT losses).

the biggest suckage about not living in northern ny with my family is the fact that i don't get to watch don cherry every saturday night. :cry:

thanks to whoever mentioned his segments being up on yoube now.

Grape's Coaches Corner has been on CBC's website forever. They also put Satellite Hot Stove and Kelly Hrudey's bits on as well.

Archived