Danny Briere

PromoTheRobot

Do you not think someone will toss that kind of jack at them or are you just of the opinion that they are not worth it?

I'd be very concerned about tying up that much cap space in two players. Will someone else throw that kind of money at them? Probably, but that is why Darcy needs to decide which one(or both he wants to sign) and get it done before free agency starts. That is when the price will be driven WAY UP!

I like to believe that it's more than just $$$ to those two guys. If they like living in Buffalo and they feel the team is serious about winning, they might take a hometown discount. I hope anyway.

PTR

I can see Briere taking the hometown discount, not necessarily Drury. Briere has absolutely loved it here, from the day he was traded from PHX. He loves the weather (it reminds him of home in Quebec), he relishes the leadership role and fan adoration. I can see him staying for less than market value, in return for a 3 or 4 year deal.

Drury on the other hand is from New England and lives in Southern Cal in the offseason. He's having a monster season and this is his shot at getting a huge contract and living well for the rest of his life. I think he likes it here - more so than Calgary, but if I was a betting man, I'd say that Briere would be in Buffalo next fall and Drury will be in Boston, New York, LA or back in Colorado...

I hope I'm wrong about this. Obviously a lot hinges on Timmy's potential return. If he's not healthy enough to play, that frees up $$ and perhaps we resign both captains.

I'd be very concerned about tying up that much cap space in two players. Will someone else throw that kind of money at them? Probably, but that is why Darcy needs to decide which one(or both he wants to sign) and get it done before free agency starts. That is when the price will be driven WAY UP!

You have to keep in mind that both players might want to wait until they are free agents. If I was a player and unrestricted for the 1st time I would consider waiting and have teams bid for me.

Also, cap wise I do not see them being able to keep both. I am sure Regier has has spoken with both agents and has an idea what it will take to sign either one.

Drury on the other hand is from New England and lives in Southern Cal in the offseason. He's having a monster season and this is his shot at getting a huge contract and living well for the rest of his life. I think he likes it here - more so than Calgary, but if I was a betting man, I'd say that Briere would be in Buffalo next fall and Drury will be in Boston, New York, LA or back in Colorado...

Like I said before I know it's all about the money, but if you're 30 or 31 years old why would you want to spend the next 3-5 years as part of some rebuilding project or as the only decent player on a lousy team? How much is it worth to be an integral part of a good team that is a realistic contender for the cup every year? I mean look at Jay McKee, he could have been here thinking about how his name will look on the Stanley Cup instead of in St. Louis wondering when the next free concession night is so they'll manage another sell-out. Is it worth the $2 mil more he's making there to know you're not on a contender and you'll be lucky to even get a sniff of the playoffs for the next few years?

i sincerely hope they find a way to keep both, but i had this thought last night. if i'm ottawa, i'd dump perenial loser alfredsson at the draft for a young winger, then throw the bank at danny briere. you can stick him with heatley and the young winger with spezza and you'd have two solid duos. i know how much we'd all hate for that to happen, but why wouldn't ottawa do it? alfredsson is a captain who gets them nowhere (and doesn't seem like much of a captain at that), so it's not like they'd lose valuable "leadership." i can't think of one thing alfredsson can do that danny can't.

hopefully it won't happen.

i sincerely hope they find a way to keep both, but i had this thought last night. if i'm ottawa, i'd dump perenial loser alfredsson at the draft for a young winger, then throw the bank at danny briere. you can stick him with heatley and the young winger with spezza and you'd have two solid duos. i know how much we'd all hate for that to happen, but why wouldn't ottawa do it? alfredsson is a captain who gets them nowhere (and doesn't seem like much of a captain at that), so it's not like they'd lose valuable "leadership." i can't think of one thing alfredsson can do that danny can't.

I have always wanted to see Buffalo get Heatley and team him with Briere, they have amazing chemistry together.

It is possible to keep both, but its going to take alot of trimming of the fat and alot of the younger guys stepping it up. Take away Biron, Kotalik, Kalinan, and you should have enough to cover a raise for Danny (maybe 6 mill over 3-5 years) and Drury (4.5-5 million over 3-5 years) and some cheap replacements for them (like keeping Paetch, Paille and a cheap vet backup goalie. This would also involve keeping cheap players (like Peters) around to keep a spot on the roster warm and not take up cap space (plus there have been rumors of GM's trying to bring enforcers back into the game)

That is actually one of my biggest fears too, losing him to a division rival like Quebec, Montreal, or Toronto. Not only do we lose our best playmaker, but he gets to haunt us for 8 games a season.

He had great chemistry with Heatly in the all star game, God that would be a dangerous combination. Plus he gets back home.

That is actually one of my biggest fears too, losing him to a division rival like Quebec, Montreal, or Toronto. Not only do we lose our best playmaker, but he gets to haunt us for 8 games a season.

He had great chemistry with Heatly in the all star game, God that would be a dangerous combination. Plus he gets back home.

i couldn't see him heading to toronto or even montreal, but i would think ottawa would jump all over him in a heartbeat. they've needed a reason to move alfredsson for a while now. that'd free up the cap space to give briere at least $5.5-6 mil per.

you keep briere over drury, but only if you're committed to replacing drury with a gritty guy who wins faceoffs. just because briere is overall the better player (and he is) you can't take what drury does lightly. but imo, his skill set, while formidable, will be easier to replace than briere's.

for now i'll just pretend there is someway we can keep them both. :(

you keep briere over drury, but only if you're committed to replacing drury with a gritty guy who wins faceoffs. just because briere is overall the better player (and he is) you can't take what drury does lightly. but imo, his skill set, while formidable, will be easier to replace than briere's.

for know i'll just pretend there is someway we can keep them both. :(

Gaustad could fill that faceoff and gritty role. Now, about those 30 goals.....

i couldn't see him heading to toronto or even montreal, but i would think ottawa would jump all over him in a heartbeat. they've needed a reason to move alfredsson for a while now. that'd free up the cap space to give briere at least $5.5-6 mil per.

That is exactly where he wants to go, He actually said that he would take whatever the Canadians would pay him to go play for them (before the lockout and before he became a star) I think he is more likely to take a discount to play for them then to stay in Buffalo

You can't let either of them hit the FA market, or you will lose both

Gaustad could fill that faceoff and gritty role. Now, about those 30 goals.....

obviously, having only gaustad isn't enough....i'm saying we need an ADDITIONAL player like that...and yes, he needs to be able to score.

but the one thing the sabres always lacked is a guy who can create his own chances AND finish them. that was the missing piece on the 99 team imo. briere is the best on the team at that...those players are harder to come by than guys like drury. and that is not a knock on drury. frankly, i am not convinced we won't go backwards without him. but if you're making me pick one, it's briere.

:blink: :blink: :blink:

Korab, you do realize that Housley wasn't PLAYING last night, right? :lol:

Sorry, I know you MEANT the Otters. ;)

I can see Briere taking the hometown discount, not necessarily Drury. Briere has absolutely loved it here, from the day he was traded from PHX. He loves the weather (it reminds him of home in Quebec), he relishes the leadership role and fan adoration. I can see him staying for less than market value, in return for a 3 or 4 year deal.

I hope I'm wrong about this. Obviously a lot hinges on Timmy's potential return. If he's not healthy enough to play, that frees up $$ and perhaps we resign both captains.

Again I ask. Where was the discount this off season?

I think the Sabres can sign both Briere and Drury and I think they should sign both...but to do it, both parties might need to get creative:

For example, let's say Briere is commanding $6.5 million a season for 4 years...maybe Danny would take a backloaded deal or receive a larger payment in the 3rd year...and Drury can do the same and receive the bigger payment in the 4th year...surely the cap will go up...and maybe this would be a way to be able to keep both and not hurt the cap as much over all the years of the contracts.

I think the Sabres are in great shape now as we all know: Attendence is at an all time high...and Briere and Drury have gotten to the point where they can both be remembered as Sabres more then any other team they played for...especially Briere. If you keep both guys, you can put younger guys around them and both of those players will make the younger, cheaper guys better.

Plus the fans will be excited to see Briere and Drury excite the fans for years to come. And it would send a good message to the fans that the Sabres are committed to keeping their best players.

Golisano, GET IT DONE

for now i'll just pretend there is someway we can keep them both. :(

Overall? Based on what?

Are you watching the games or just reading the stats sheets? Briere is a factor only in the offensive zone. He is not physical. His back check is non-existent. And he may be the worst player the Sabres have in their defensive zone. I may want Peters in the defensive zone rather than Briere and Peters plays with a hollow plastic stick. .

I won't even get into the diving. Which is beginning to become embarrassing.

Drury is the type of player Sabre fans have been begging for since Lafontaine left.

Drury is the type of player Sabre fans have been begging for since Lafontaine left.

I don't agree with much of what you say, but this is dead on. Drury is a great leader, great in both ends of the ice, a clutch player, and has been a winner at every level. There is a reason why Darcy went out and traded a lot to get him, and I think they would be stupid to let him walk.

I'd love for Darcy to bring them both back, but most people need to realize that could be very difficult to do, and will likely cost us a couple (or more) of this year's roster players to free up the payroll. I've made no secret of it - I want them both back, but forced to make a choice, I'd take Drury and not look back.

Overall? Based on what?

Are you watching the games or just reading the stats sheets? Briere is a factor only in the offensive zone. He is not physical. His back check is non-existent. And he may be the worst player the Sabres have in their defensive zone. I may want Peters in the defensive zone rather than Briere and Peters plays with a hollow plastic stick. .

I won't even get into the diving. Which is beginning to become embarrassing.

like i said, he creates his own offense better than anyone on the roster, including drury. best hands on the team. THAT'S what we've been begging for since lafontaine left.

like i said, A) he creates his own offense better than anyone on the roster, including drury. best hands on the team. THAT'S what we've been begging for since lafontaine left.

A) Have you seen Max play? If you want to talk about creating scoring chances out of nothing look no further then Max. He is the Sabres best at it.

B) If you want to talk hands then lets talk Vanek. He has by far the best hands on the team. Briere? Not even close. I still remember that goal Vanek scored out between the dots where he took a what was basically a cross ice pass and tip it changing the direction completely to the top corner. It was the most impressive goal the Sabres scored all year.

Lafontaine was a great offensive player. But that's not what made him special. What made Lafontaine special was that he played a complete game. Briere may have some of Patty's offensive skill but that where the comparisons end.

You forgot Hartford in that equation too. Don't want him being a Whaler or Nordique for chrissakes!

Archived