Danny Briere

PromoTheRobot

I'll say it again Briere is a awsome offensive talent..................but we have guys primed to take that spot in the lineup. Drury is one of the most complete players in the league right now and we have noone to step into that role thats even close to being ready for it.

if i got a #%^$#! load of sugar but only alittle koolaid left I am gonna go buy more koolaid not more sugar

I've asked this question before and I'll keep asking it when a post like this is made...

If you want to say that guys like Max, Vanek, Roy or others can fill Breire's shoes if he leaves, who then fills the shoes of the players mentioned above? Please don't think it is a given that you can replace 90+ points per season by waving the magic wand and bringing up some guy from Rochester or that a 4th line player currently, can become a 50-60 point man.

I've asked this question before and I'll keep asking it when a post like this is made...

If you want to say that guys like Max, Vanek, Roy or others can fill Breire's shoes if he leaves, who then fills the shoes of the players mentioned above? Please don't think it is a given that you can replace 90+ points per season by waving the magic wand and bringing up some guy from Rochester or that a 4th line player currently, can become a 50-60 point man.

what if we dont need to replace that kind of production. we do have the best offense in the league (or one of the) and im not sure we need to keep up that kind of insane production. if we replace him with a center who plays a solid two way game, then we assumably wont give up as many goals, and therefore wont have to score more to make up for it.

i think hes saying that briere didnt even show up in the games that we lost, and ended up just taking ice time and giving up goals... :o

Each of the Sabres three wins in the Canes series were by 1 goal. So Briere's 4 goals weren't a case of him showing up to pile on in a 4 or 5 goal win.

Without him, the Sabres would have been swept. Suggesting that scoring the game winner in overtime when your team is facing elimination isn't somehow 'clutch' is taking the argument against Briere a bit too far.

what if we dont need to replace that kind of production. we do have the best offense in the league (or one of the) and im not sure we need to keep up that kind of insane production. if we replace him with a center who plays a solid two way game, then we assumably wont give up as many goals, and therefore wont have to score more to make up for it.

That's easy to say in theory, but take a look at last night's Calgary game, for example. The Sabres played a solid two-way, defensive game and were losing 2-1 with the clock winding down in the third.

Briere scores a goal from in-close, sends the game to overtime and the Sabres take the two points.

Stafford and Paille are two that come to mind as 2nd line scorers. and you seem to think that we have to have players to step in and off the bat produce the points that max and vanek are doing now. take away a 40-50 point player for this season and we are probaly still a top 5 team. We have a surplus of scoring. Plus if the team is really gungho about replaceing all the points that theorticly are lost by players replaceing Briere then we sign a 40-50 point a year free agent and I'm willing to bet it's cheaper then resigning Briere

Last night vs. calgary was a perfect example of why Briere is invaluable. He was a factor all night creating chances and setting people up and scored the clutch goal to tie it late. Again, i love Drury but i did not really notice him until that wraparound attempt midway thru the 3rd. Briere is irreplacable to the Buffalo Sabres period!!

Last night vs. calgary was a perfect example of why Briere is invaluable. He was a factor all night creating chances and setting people up and scored the clutch goal to tie it late. Again, i love Drury but i did not really notice him until that wraparound attempt midway thru the 3rd. Briere is irreplacable to the Buffalo Sabres period!!

Then why did the Sabres have a better record with him out last season than with him in?

Archived