Danny Briere

PromoTheRobot

Everytime I see Drury or Briere score, I hear a "cha-ching" in my head. I'm sure Darcy hears it too. At this pace, he should really try hard to negotiate a deal, because at the end of the season, they're going to have phenominal numbers, and some teams is going to give them a huge payday, one that Buffalo probably can't match.

I know it's all about the money, and I know you can NEVER have enough. But really, you would think these guys might want to stay in Buffalo where they have a young nucleus and could get several more shots at having their name on a Stanley Cup even if they might make, oh, say $4 mil in stead of $5 mil. I mean, how much is it worth to you to get more money and go to a crappy team and not even sniff the playoffs (do you hear me Jay McKee??).

Like I said I know it's all about the money, but when I have been in a position where I have had to seek new employment finding a place that you'll be happier and the atmosphere is more to your liking, the people seem nice, the corporate culture seems nice, etc. are things that might make you decide over a place that offers a little more $. And I mean money to buy groceries, not like I make millions and $1 mil/year here or there doesn't mean much.

I don't think there is any way we can keep both, if we could only keep one, in my opinon, it would have to be Drury. He is the heart of this team. He is one of the few players who never takes a night off. I think a fully healthy return of Connolly would soften the blow of losing Briere. I hate the thought of losing Briere too but you can't put out 25% of the cap on just 2 players and thats what it would be.

Maybe we sign them both to 10 year deals for $3 mil a year? I've been thinking about the DP deal, and think it's not all that crazy (ok, still a little crazy) in terms of the salary cap. Does anyone thing we will see more long term deal like this around the league? Makes sense for players since the money is guaranteed and it's less of a cap hit per year for the team.

Maybe we sign them both to 10 year deals for $3 mil a year? I've been thinking about the DP deal, and think it's not all that crazy (ok, still a little crazy) in terms of the salary cap. Does anyone thing we will see more long term deal like this around the league? Makes sense for players since the money is guaranteed and it's less of a cap hit per year for the team.

Why in their right mind would any player take on that contract when he can get the same guaranteed money over 5 years, then more if he's healthy, after that contract is over?

Because (I think) Briere turns 30 soon and Drury turns 31 soon. Will either of them be playing when they are 40?

That isn't the point of signing them to a Depietro type deal. It is a way to circumvent the cap. A team may only get 7-8 years out of that player but they would be bound to pay them the complete length of the deal.

Reiger has a fine line to walk.

If he goes to Briere's camp first to seek an extenstion, then the Drury camp gets it's knickers in a knot. And vice versa.

The best thing would be to try to get both parties together on this to work out a deal so they can both dot the i's at the same time. Tough to do, but it's been done in other sports.

That is the only way both stay imo.

That isn't the point of signing them to a Depietro type deal. It is a way to circumvent the cap. A team may only get 7-8 years out of that player but they would be bound to pay them the complete length of the deal.

And then you are in the predicament of having that player on your cap despite the fact that he isn't on the roster, or having it all come in one hit on the cap, depending on how the NHL CBA works. Don't know how it works meself, I'm sure daveb knows :)

If he goes to Briere's camp first to seek an extenstion, then the Drury camp gets it's knickers in a knot. And vice versa.

The best thing would be to try to get both parties together on this to work out a deal so they can both dot the i's at the same time. Tough to do, but it's been done in other sports.

That is the only way both stay imo.

Tough s-h-i-t if the other guys "camp" doesn't like it. Decide which one(or both) you want to keep. Present offers to one or both and whomever signs first, good for them. Who cares if somebody gets their panties in a wad. They are big boys and will get over it.

PS The chances of signing them both AND doing it at the same time is a pipe dream and I would bow to Darcy if he pulls this off.

Jesus, who are we dealing with here? Terell Owens? Just as long as the contract has enough 0's I'm sure nobody cares about who got the phone call first.

He had an interview (post-game maybe) earlier in the year on MSG where he was asked about keeping them both and replied something like "we want to keep them both and I think they both want to stay. We've been talking with Chris and we will be talking with Danny ..." I may have the names switched, but that was general idea.

I like to believe that it's more than just $$$ to those two guys. If they like living in Buffalo and they feel the team is serious about winning, they might take a hometown discount. I hope anyway.

PTR

If it were "more than just $$$" for Briere why wouldn't a deal have been done last offseason?

Briere has come on as of late but I still wouldn't pay big money to a one dimensional player. $5-6 million a year is a lot to pay a guy who will be sitting on the bench at the end of close games where you're protecting a lead.

If it were "more than just $$$" for Briere why wouldn't a deal have been done last offseason?

Briere has come on as of late but I still wouldn't pay big money to a one dimensional player. $5-6 million a year is a lot to pay a guy who will be sitting on the bench at the end of close games where you're protecting a lead.

Even if he's the guy that got you that lead?

Even if he's the guy that got you that lead?

Yes!

For that kind of money I would want a complete hockey player. You're talking Chris Pronger & Jerome Ignla type money. Briere is not at that level. He's not even the best player on the team. That's Chris Drury. And when Connolly comes back he won't even be the offensive player.

Briere is not at that level. He's not even the best player on the team. That's Chris Drury. And when Connolly comes back he won't even be the offensive player.

TC had ONE good season, even if he were healthy I wouldn't call him the teams best offensive player unless he did it a second consecutive season-and that would be under normal circumstances. Considering where TC is now I would reserve ALL judgement until he comes back and gets a maybe a month worth of games in and we can see where he is. Even under ideal circumstances last year could have been a fluke. At this point in his career he's had more bad or mediocre seasons than good ones.

I'm okay if Darcy decides to make a run at Drury instead of Briere, but to pay him much more than 4 mil per year on average is overpayment. I'd offer 5 years 21 mil....TOPS!

That being said, I'd also be okay if he decided to go after Briere instead, but the $$$ to keep Briere would have to be higher. I'd offer 5 years 26 mil...TOPS!

Bottom line...If Darcy lets them both walk, he will have some important decisions to make in free agency, because you will not be replacing them from within the organization unless you want to take a serious hit in the standings next year. The good news is that many teams have numerous free agents next year(similar to Buffalo situation last off season), so it could be a buyers market. See link below...

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=299042

Just my 2 cents!

I only have one thing to say in regards to those numbers...

:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: (or does this count as 3 things?) :)

Do you not think someone will toss that kind of jack at them or are you just of the opinion that they are not worth it?

Archived