Briere's spear

BuffalOhio

Stupid move by Briere, but the league brings #%^$#! like this upon itself when they refuse to dish out suspensions for cheapshots.

"A $100 fine? Tell ya what, here's $200 and I'll just take a nice swipe at him myself, thet way you don't need to get off your fat at NHL HQ".

Bush league all the way.

That was a dumb move by Briere. But, the NHL brought this on all by itself fro not suspending Oven-chicken in the first place, or at least requiring a much larger fine. Briere should be suspended for a game or two for his actions. But since they felt the Ovechkin hit was not worthy of a suspension, then they should feel the same way about this. But as we know, the NHL uses some voodoo logic to determine suspension and fines......

I wasn't able to pay complete attention, but I don't think MSG showed the spear. I could be wrong. If they didn't replay it, that's also Bush League!

I really didn't like Ovechkin's reaction to scoring. It was very Miro-like. This kid is sooo good. He doesn't need all this garbage in his game -- cheap shots, taunting the crowd. People will learn to hate the kid for good reason: because he's killing your team with goals.

I wasn't able to pay complete attention, but I don't think MSG showed the spear. I could be wrong. If they didn't replay it, that's also Bush League!

Except nobody associated with the broadcast knew it happened.

Briere should be suspended for a game or two for his actions.

Because the NHL hates Buffalo and doesn't consider Briere a star, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get 5 games.

Because the NHL hates Buffalo and doesn't consider Briere a star, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get 5 games.

I don't buy into the whole conspiracy thing against Buffalo, but I totally agree that the NHL punishes based on their perceived value to the game...plus Briere has a prior record of suspension for a stick violation - he'll be gone for a few games, and IMHO deserves it!

Has anybody on the Caps even made mention of this? I just watch the video.....MINOR stuff here guys. PhSabres....you really think this is worthy of a few games? Am I glad Danny did it? NO.....but if this gets a suspension, the pandoras box has been opened. Look at what a joke roughing the passer has become in the NFL...lets not have the same thing happen with the common "rough stuff" in the NHL.

Has anybody on the Caps even made mention of this? I just watch the video.....MINOR stuff here guys. PhSabres....you really think this is worthy of a few games? Am I glad Danny did it? NO.....but if this gets a suspension, the pandoras box has been opened. Look at what a joke roughing the passer has become in the NFL...lets not have the same thing happen with the common "rough stuff" in the NHL.

Briere knew what he was doing. As a hockey player, I know that spearing is way over the line, and Briere does, too. In USA Hockey, spearing is an automatic major penalty and a game misconduct, which results in a 1-game suspension. Spearing is serious business. I won't be surprised if Danny gets suspended for a game or two.

I think the NHL has to be thrilled. It was setlled on the ice without incident. That spear wasn't that bad. The guy got up and scored a little bit later. Really, much a do about nothing.. This is OVER, OVER I say..Closure was had by all...

Sorry to take so long - the market is hot today and was busy! Yea I do think he deserves it, and the pandora box has been open in the NHL for years. Their system of punishment is the most inept thing going! Their philosophy of determining punishment by (1) Who is committing the infraction, (2) Who is it being committed on, (3) Was there any injury, and (4) Will action against the player affect scheduled television broadcast is beyond pathetic. The NHL should adopt a Schedule of Penalties (something like the federal sentencing guidelines for crimes) and be done with it.

Yep, he's as good as gone for a game or two.

But this is the NHL, where players have to get back at other players because the league didn't do it's job in the first place.

Briere's spear was premeditated, that's why he'll get the gate. He went around his own guy to give him the jab. It didn't "just happen."

Very ironic indeed and frustrating as hell.

Archived