Briere's spear

BuffalOhio

I am a State Prosecutor.....the sentecing guidelines don't work either.

They don't work because of the politics of law. all the "good ole boys" deals made in the barrooms during breaks in trials...have some integrity and they would work. Take the lawyers out of the equation and its a deterence

and you were right when you said it.

i was listening to wgr on my way home from buffalo this morning and i cannot believe they were debating this as though ovechkin had actually been injured...HE WASN'T...HE DOVE ON THE ICE LIKE THE LITTLE BITCH HE IS.

i am sick to my stomach listening to howard simon call for briere's suspension, and robitaille fellating ovechkin for being such a "great exciting young player." he's just like crosby- a #%^$#!ing prima donna bitch....actually he just surpassed crosby in my book. he stooped to the level of a soccer player, which is unforgivable.

I don't think it was a dive, just like what briere did wasn't a dive. Spearing can be pretty dangerous and it is a major penalty had the refs seen it. I'm not proud of what briere did but the league had the chance to stop it, and they dropped the ball. You can't really be surprised that ovechkin got a cheapshot against him. And no, msg definetly did not show it, if they didnt on purpose...well thats just kinda funny. But i didn't know about the spear until coming onto this board.

I don't think it was a dive, just like what briere did wasn't a dive. Spearing can be pretty dangerous and it is a major penalty had the refs seen it. I'm not proud of what briere did but the league had the chance to stop it, and they dropped the ball. You can't really be surprised that ovechkin got a cheapshot against him. And no, msg definetly did not show it, if they didnt on purpose...well thats just kinda funny. But i didn't know about the spear until coming onto this board.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih9OY_N7DzE

i'll post this again....watch this and tell me it wasn't a dive....briere is long gone before ovechkin decides to fall and roll on the ice...

come on...SUCH A DIVE

he brushed across his cup with the stick and ovechkin thought about it for a second and fell down...then he rolled right back up to his feet and kept playing. sort of like he realized that he was getting a little carried away and decided on his own to quit being a douchebag.

and now this... :doh:

This is a quote for the victim of this BRUTAL, VICIOUS, spear......after reading this, do you honestly think a suspension is in order? And if so, wouldn't the league have acted by now?

" If you can tell, I fell in the Buffalo zone because of a spear , my stomach, so I just come to him and say " You wanna fight ? Lets fight". I don't know would had spear ." I recalled that Chris Drury followed Ovechkin to the Caps bench and was seen saying something to #8. What was said? " He (Drury) said, whats wrong? I said a spear. I just said to him if you wanna fight, lets fight it. So....it was a game. I know sometimes I hit Briere in the back, they speared me, so, we're now 1-1. I was very excited for this game because here the media guy told me that the fans here will boo me all the time when I touch the puck so when I score goal, I try do something like, I no can hear them boo. I know it was still ugly because it was 6-2, it was not good for my team but......"

www.hockeybuzz.com

Now, I'm not sure if that was the stomach or the balls, but any guy on here can tell you that getting hit there ANYTIME is not going to result in you getting up within 10 seconds (evidence he was faking) now if it was the stomach, that hurts like hell too. My point is, if he really was hurt, he wouldn't have gotten up so fast. That being said, Danny should NOT get a suspension because AO wasn't hurt. That seems to be the leauges logic anyways....

As much as I dislike what Ovechkin did to Briere initially, I think some of the reactions here are just blind homer responses; to excuse one of our players' actions as justifiable or warranted seems pretty weak to me. Ovechkin definitely needed his ass kicked after what he did to Briere, and he definitely deserved a suspension, but neither of those facts give Danny free license to retaliate with his stick - the old "he did it first" defense is something that shouldn't even come up in beer leagues, let alone the NHL.

Looking at it objectively, maybe AO did embellish it. So what? Watching this replay, it looks pretty clear to me that Briere hit him in the midsection with a spearing motion of his stick. After the Nichol hit, we all talked about how the league's punishment would be less than it should be simply because Jaro wasn't hurt. The league even acknowledged that in their suspension announcement. I think most of us agree that the league needs to get away from the results-based punishment system they currently employ, and instead need to start cracking down on the actual act, regardless of whether the victim gets seriously hurt.

You pro-suspension guys have lost your minds.

A spear, if called on the ice is a two minute penalty.. Nothing will come of this. NOTHING!!!

OV got even with a goal. Quid pro quo

From the NHL rulebook (Rule 86):

Spearing shall mean stabbing an opponent with the point of the stick blade whether contact is made or not.

1. A double minor penalty will be imposed on a player who spears an opponent and does not make contact.

2. A major and a game misconduct shall be imposed on a player who spears an opponent. (See also Rule 43 -- Attempt to or Deliberate Injury of Opponents.)

3. A match penalty shall be imposed on a player who injures an opponent as a result of a spear. (See also Rule 43 -- Attempt to or Deliberate Injury of Opponents.)

Briere knew what he was doing. As a hockey player, I know that spearing is way over the line, and Briere does, too. In USA Hockey, spearing is an automatic major penalty and a game misconduct, which results in a 1-game suspension. Spearing is serious business. I won't be surprised if Danny gets suspended for a game or two.

I hate to agree, but once the league reviews the play, Danny will probably see some sort of suspension, especially given his previous stickwork suspension. Looking at the replay, Briere is lucky that the refs didn't see it and give the Caps a 5-minute PP and send him to the dressing room.

Go ahead and flame me if you want, but I really want to see the NHL start enforcing the rules and issuing suspensions regardless of who the offender is. I don't want to see any Sabres get suspended, but I also don't want to see the NHL continue to operate and look like a garage league.

I want to say outright that I in no way defend what Briere did. What I don't understand is why are there numerous BUFFALO fans on this board that feel a suspension is in order. IT WAS NOT THAT BAD! and whether you like it or not....that seems to be a factor in the leagues decision making. Sure, fine him and let it be known that it will not be tolerated.....And please.....can anybody show me where the Capitals are even calling for the league to suspend Briere...it seems that this message board is the only place this is even being discussed. As I mentioned in a previous post.....wouldn't the league have already reviewed this thing and made a ruling?....it was the very next day after Obitchkin's hit on Briere and ditto for the Nichols hit.

I want to say outright that I in no way defend what Briere did. What I don't understand is why are there numerous BUFFALO fans on this board that feel a suspension is in order. IT WAS NOT THAT BAD! and whether you like it or not....that seems to be a factor in the leagues decision making. Sure, fine him and let it be known that it will not be tolerated.....And please.....can anybody show me where the Capitals are even calling for the league to suspend Briere...it seems that this message board is the only place this is even being discussed. As I mentioned in a previous post.....wouldn't the league have already reviewed this thing and made a ruling?....it was the very next day after Obitchkin's hit on Briere and ditto for the Nichols hit.

you're right...i don't understand why that little brush from briere's stick is provoking such outrage among sabre fans. you can say "he shouldn't do that" and i can't argue, but FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, he did not impale the guy! not even close.

and ovechkin dove like the candy-ass he is! i've seen sabres go to the box for less! he ought to be embarrassed.

i just can't believe he fooled anyone....i guess that's what disappoints me so much.

I don't think a suspension is in order, I just think the league will do so. If they don't they will look bad. Perhaps after NOT suspending Ovechkin they feel they can't suspend Briere. Not sure what to think.

Not that I want to see "goon fests" all the time... But, this sport is becoming "pussified"... Everybody whining and crying this or that...

Just call the major sh*t (Nichols) and leave the ticky-tacky stuff alone...

Something really can be said about a big guy that can play and skate... That is what each team needs in order to get into the heads of the "skill" players.

Face, it is part of the game since the beginning... The ying and yang on the ice...

It needs to be settled there (on the ice) honorbly... Not by video reviews, ticky tacky rules, etc...

I am all for some of the new rules against interfernece and what not... But, the phyiscal side/enforcer side is a cornerstone of the game... If your team can balance it right you will win with your skill... If you can't, you just die being a bunch of 's...

And yes, I am embarresed for DB's act... But come on... It was barley a nudge!

Let them play... Take the dishonor out of the game...

Quit the diving an all that stuff... If DB speared him so be it... OV should have turned around had it out with DB...

DB's game was definitely off, -2, no shots... For now, OV is winning the war of the "heads"... DB needs to get his arse out of his head and just play! Make him pay legally!

What a cheap shot :thumbdown: Here i though Danny is better than that... i guess not.

PS....after reading some of these responses and listening to WGR today......we really live in a different time. How can anyone say what Briere did was acceptable? How can anyone say what he did was manly? There is a whole new set of rules in life, and I guess they lack objectivity or morals for the most part.

Ovechkin is a kid who did something stupid and dirty...and had Gaustad and Mair immediately jump on him and deal with it like they should have. The kid handles himself well from what I see and is more than willing to do his own dirty work. If he really challanged Drury to a fight and Drury backed down, which sounds about right looking at his history, then it shows who the real cowards are. Instead we go spearing someone in the groin...and most everyone thinks it's payback? I'm ashamed to think I actually take pride in being a Buffalonian if that is the majority view.

If someone took a stab like that at me, I would send them into the 5th row. By the way...I'd trade Briere,Drury, and Ruff to Washington for Ovechkin. I'm all for Lindy backing his players, but he is not the same guy behind the bench as he portrayed on the ice.

PS....after reading some of these responses and listening to WGR today......we really live in a different time. How can anyone say what Briere did was acceptable? How can anyone say what he did was manly? There is a whole new set of rules in life, and I guess they lack objectivity or morals for the most part.

Ovechkin is a kid who did something stupid and dirty...and had Gaustad and Mair immediately jump on him and deal with it like they should have. The kid handles himself well from what I see and is more than willing to do his own dirty work. If he really challanged Drury to a fight and Drury backed down, which sounds about right looking at his history, then it shows who the real cowards are. Instead we go spearing someone in the groin...and most everyone thinks it's payback? I'm ashamed to think I actually take pride in being a Buffalonian if that is the majority view.

If someone took a stab like that at me, I would send them into the 5th row. By the way...I'd trade Briere,Drury, and Ruff to Washington for Ovechkin. I'm all for Lindy backing his players, but he is not the same guy behind the bench as he portrayed on the ice.

I am not defending DB and what he did... It was wimpy... What OV (dive) was the same...

Why would he challenge Drury? Okay, OV didn't know who did it... Then leave it alone and pay them back legally!

The thing that disgusts me is that we are a wimpy team... Even Gretzky had his McSorley...

I'm all for Lindy backing his players, but he is not the same guy behind the bench as he portrayed on the ice.

That is what I think... The Sabres really have a rep for being whiners...

...and their fans. :(

Exactly... It really makes me ashamed...

Being outside of the area, you get to stand back and really see how "bush league" our fans can be...

When they win the Cup... I hope the dumbarse don't ruin it... Of course they will... <_< <_<

I know I will get flamed away...

Archived