Connolly update

Corp000085

http://www.wgr550.com/fullstory.php?id=2054

There'll be some sort of announcement/news story at 6pm on the pregame show. Couple that with a few reports about the "rumored" dramatically improved health of Timmy, and there may be somethin brewing here folks. Don't really want to stoke the fire in regards to the rumors on the other hockey sites... you can find them if you want to... I don't really want to speculate anything more than what's posted at WGR, so i'll withold comment on whether i think he's improving, regressing, or retiring... However i will speculate that something is definitely brewing, and brewing hard behind the scenes at the HSBC arena.

Thanks Corp. I saw this and just thought that it was quite weird.

Hopefully good news.

I absolutely hate the rumor threads, as most of them have no merit, but WGR running a story the same day i read about connolly possibly not even being concussed in the first place, is too much of a coincidence to blow off. I'm very interested in hearing the show though. I suspect the ratings from internet streams will be through the roof tonight, at the very least.

Brad Riter will have an interview I did with Lindy Ruff talking about a new treatment Tim Connolly's using to try to get better from a May concussion. You'll also find out how Ruff came upon this local treatment.

Maybe Carl Russo convinced Lindy that the Vein Treatment Center can also treat concussions...

I absolutely hate the rumor threads, as most of them have no merit, but WGR running a story the same day i read about connolly possibly not even being concussed in the first place, is too much of a coincidence to blow off. I'm very interested in hearing the show though. I suspect the ratings from internet streams will be through the roof tonight, at the very least.

Where'd you read that? :P

http://www.wgr550.com/fullstory.php?id=2054

There'll be some sort of announcement/news story at 6pm on the pregame show. Couple that with a few reports about the "rumored" dramatically improved health of Timmy, and there may be somethin brewing here folks. Don't really want to stoke the fire in regards to the rumors on the other hockey sites... you can find them if you want to... I don't really want to speculate anything more than what's posted at WGR, so i'll withold comment on whether i think he's improving, regressing, or retiring... However i will speculate that something is definitely brewing, and brewing hard behind the scenes at the HSBC arena.

Where'd you read that? :P

i can't remember... i was concussed earlier today

Brad Riter will have an interview I did with Lindy Ruff talking about a new treatment Tim Connolly's using to try to get better from a May concussion. You'll also find out how Ruff came upon this local treatment.

Maybe Carl Russo convinced Lindy that the Vein Treatment Center can also treat concussions...

:D :D

its on now..

ruff would like more from kotalik. ruff needs him to break out.. drury and stafford are frustrated too with the producion. better chemistry with connolly in there

excercise levels going up. stationary bike. a couple weeks, they'll have a good idea. Went to UB to have conference call with doctors. more agressive approach. pain treatment with neck, injections... they have worked, headaches attributed to neck problem. Diagnosed (sigh) with nerve problem, injections have helped. Lydman's injury did not spark interest, but he saw a different doctor and a more aggressive approach could be used.

-----

sorry about the shorthand... Sounds like the seeds have been planted for connolly's return. Just from what i've heard from Ruff's voice, treatement, and outlook have moved forward instead of a stalled state. More to come from Riter and Hamilton live in the pregame show.

----

senators player received neck chiropractic treatment for concussion problems, and it "worked like magic". hopefully connolly's neck worked for magic, like his 10 seconds to go goal in game 1!!! ok, i promised myself in the original post that i wouldn't get excited, but this sabres team needs a fu manchu!!!!

paul hamilton update:

tim connolly will rehab at UB, rather than pittsburgh. Pittsburgh treatment: headaches=no exercise. UB treatment: neck treatment and exercise with slight headaches. Connolly will go at it for a couple weeks and see what happens. Connolly was smiling and excited about the outlook. Judging by the smile on his face, hamilton thinks Connolly is exciting. The sens player i mentioned was antoin vermette. Was about to retire, but went to a chiropractor and was ready to go the next day. Maybe its not a concussion that's triggering the headaches, but something else. Other symptoms besides headaches?? no. Headaches only. No other symtopms such as confusion, memory loss, "umberger on the trolly tracks" type of symptoms. Doctors aren't too concerned about the headaches in regards to exercise.

to speculate on the wgr reports, timmy will require some chiropractic work, some neck muscle exercises, those injections, which could be muscle relaxers, cortisone, etc. and some major cardio rehab before he's ready to go. I'd be extremely happy if he has some sort of correctable spinal issue rather than scrambled brains, as we had all thought for the past 6 months.

paul hamilton update:

tim connolly will rehab at UB, rather than pittsburgh. Pittsburgh treatment: headaches=no exercise. UB treatment: neck treatment and exercise with slight headaches. Connolly will go at it for a couple weeks and see what happens. Connolly was smiling and excited about the outlook. Judging by the smile on his face, hamilton thinks Connolly is exciting. The sens player i mentioned was antoin vermette. Was about to retire, but went to a chiropractor and was ready to go the next day. Maybe its not a concussion that's triggering the headaches, but something else. Other symptoms besides headaches?? no. Headaches only. No other symtopms such as confusion, memory loss, "umberger on the trolly tracks" type of symptoms. Doctors aren't too concerned about the headaches in regards to exercise.

to speculate on the wgr reports, timmy will require some chiropractic work, some neck muscle exercises, those injections, which could be muscle relaxers, cortisone, etc. and some major cardio rehab before he's ready to go. I'd be extremely happy if he has some sort of correctable spinal issue rather than scrambled brains, as we had all thought for the past 6 months.

WOW! This great news.

What about acupuncture too?

Really, not kidding... The Sabres org should ship in China's finest... The Sabres have to get out of this funk...

Did I just say funk? They have 6 loses and 50 points 10 or so games before the half-season mark... And I said funk... :doh: :doh:

Yeah, apparently the Sabres and team doctors seem to think that the headaches may NOT be caused by post concussion symptoms. They had an interview with Antoine Vermette from the Senators who was having headaches for 7 months straight after having a concussion and a lot of people were saying his career could be over. They started trying some other things, and after going to a chiropractor, he was told his neck was very badly out of line from the way it should be. The chiropractor said that after a few trips to him he should be starting to feel better. Vermette said that after he went the first time and the doctor cracked his neck and got it lined back up properly, the next morning he woke up and was headache free for the first time in 7 months. He had no more problems with headaches after this and was able to return to playing.

It makes a lot of sense that in Connolly's situation they start looking for other potential causes. It doesn't seem like anything else is mentioned other than he is having headaches. There are a lot of potential symptoms of post-concussion syndrome, and headaches are just one of them. My mother just fell and cracked her head good on the concrete and has been having post-concussion symptoms for the past month-month and a half or so. She gets headaches and also gets very dizzy and nauseated when turning to her right. She says the room starts spinning and it becomes really hard for her to keep her balance properly. If Connolly is not having these type of symptoms as well, perhaps it may not be the concussion causing the headaches. Sometimes doctors look at symptoms and what has happened in the past and say "Oh, it must xxxxx", without necessarily looking at any other possible causes. At the very least, it now seems that they are going to be looking at other possible causes for the recurring headaches. If they find another problem and the headaches go away then obviously the headaches are not being caused by the concussion, but merely being hidden by his having had a concussion. If, however, they try a lot of different things and the headaches persist, then perhaps it is the concussion after all. At least they will have a much better idea of what it can and cannot be that is causing them.

Also, in the interview with Hamilton he mentioned something about them thinking Connolly has a "disc-on-nerve" condition that could be contributing to these headaches. It's good to see that the doctors finally are taking a deeper look into what may be causing the problems. It may not be the concussion at all that is giving him headaches, but it also may be the concussion as the culprit. They'll never find out unless they are able to look for and rule out other potential problems...

i can tell you that chiropractic care should not have the "witch doctor" reputation that a lot of people have given it. at one point, i couldn't look over my left shoulder, and suffered from headaches and a dead arm. after about 8 visits to a guy in syracuse, i had full range of motion, no headaches, and i've never felt the weakness in my arm since...and that was over 10 years ago.

not that you all wanted to read about me and my problems, but chiropractic care does wonders for a lot of people.

I want Tim Connolly back in the worst way -- like others, I think we'd be working on our second Cup if he hadn't gotten hurt, even with the injuries on D.

However, I feel a little concern about the tenor of comments coming out of the organization, especially from Lindy. There's a hint of desperation there. Hopefully I am just reading too much into these words:

"We suggested to try ANYTHING," Ruff said. "Let's not go with the NORM. The concussion area really is a GRAY AREA. It's treated differently from sport to sport and player to player. We felt we should reach out and go in ANY DIRECTION we can, that maybe we can find SOMETHING."

Emphasis is mine.

We're talking about a guy's future here, maybe even his life is someone's "new idea" for treating him is wrong. I hope the Sabres proceed with the greatest caution possible, and if with Tim Connolly's health the top priority.

Lindy is right thou treating concussions changes from sport to sport and from doctor to doctor. There is no tried and true method that works for everyone. Also the fact that the only symptom that Timmy is having is headaches? That tells me to start looking outside the box for the problem.

It's interesting to remember back to comments made after the game in which Connolly was injured. Several of his teammates said he looked fine. Lindy said he might go for Game 3, if I recall. At the time, many criticized the comments as part of the ridiculous gamesmanship that surrounds injuries in the playoffs. I outright called it lying. Now you have to wonder if the comments were honest, that Connolly did seem OK after the game. Maybe the next day the headaches kicked in? Just speculation...

It's interesting to remember back to comments made after the game in which Connolly was injured. Several of his teammates said he looked fine. Lindy said he might go for Game 3, if I recall. At the time, many criticized the comments as part of the ridiculous gamesmanship that surrounds injuries in the playoffs. I outright called it lying. Now you have to wonder if the comments were honest, that Connolly did seem OK after the game. Maybe the next day the headaches kicked in? Just speculation...

I thought the same exact thing after I first saw these recent comments. It would be really too bad if he missed all of this time and his injury could have been easily treated last may. That being said I hope he gets the treatment he needs and is back in this lineup sometime soon.

I thought the same exact thing after I first saw these recent comments. It would be really too bad if he missed all of this time and his injury could have been easily treated last may. That being said I hope he gets the treatment he needs and is back in this lineup sometime soon.

Maybe it's the same doc that didn't realize McKee had a festering cut in his leg? :doh:

Archived