NOVOTNY OUT

X. Benedict

Hahaha, looks like Stafford or Paille will be staying up after all...

I was just saying that it would be nice to have Roy and Hecht back in the lineup on Friday, but now it appears that Stafford or Paille will need to stay up for a few more games....this is just getting ridiculous...

Now that I think about it, I didnt see Novotny after the 2nd period....

Minor injury assuming Roy comes back. I don't think we have any other center, in Buffalo or Rochester that can center Vanek and Max. Briere obviously can, but that would totally kill his line...

Hopefully Lydman, Roy and Hecht all return so we can some much needed help, but can we stay healthy for once?

Hahaha, looks like Stafford or Paille will be staying up after all...

I was just saying that it would be nice to have Roy and Hecht back in the lineup on Friday, but now it appears that Stafford or Paille will need to stay up for a few more games....this is just getting ridiculous...

Now that I think about it, I didnt see Novotny after the 2nd period....

I think he got Tatered by on open ice hit late in the first. He kept skating but was laid out on his

ass. It might have even been Shanahan, not sure.

I don't really have time to watch other NHL teams, so can anyone tell me if anything like this is happening anywhere else in the league? Has the increased speed caused injury spells elsewhere? Are our guys just that much smaller? Are they not stretching properly?

espn.com used to have a games missed chart in stats, but i just looked and couldn't find it. I'll look more tomorrow though.

I think he got Tatered by on open ice hit late in the first. He kept skating but was laid out on his

Yeah i saw that...didn't know it was Novotny that got labeled...didn't have th sound on, wife was watching her shows, and I had the old split screen working

Yeah i saw that...didn't know it was Novotny that got labeled...didn't have th sound on, wife was watching her shows, and I had the old split screen working

Sound wouldn't really have mattered tonight, Larentz killed a few of the names, kept thinking it was Goose instead of Paille or Peatch when it was someone else... he must have been nervious but how in the world could a guy be that bad with seeing numbers and names??? lol did anyone else notice that?

Sound wouldn't really have mattered tonight, Larentz killed a few of the names, kept thinking it was Goose instead of Paille or Peatch when it was someone else... he must have been nervious but how in the world could a guy be that bad with seeing numbers and names??? lol did anyone else notice that?

Yeah I thought it was kinda weird when I re-watched the goals from the game when he got so excited over the Ranger scoring...I thought when Straka scored the second goal I was listening to the Rangers PBP man...hahaha

Jenereatte usually gives the other team the "shocked" sounding, "They score!", Lorentz made it sound like he was their cheerleader or something....other than that I thought him and Roby were pretty good overall...looks like the Sabres have depth in their announcing department too...hahaha

Yeah I thought it was kinda weird when I re-watched the goals from the game when he got so excited over the Ranger scoring...I thought when Straka scored the second goal I was listening to the Rangers PBP man...hahaha

Jenereatte usually gives the other team the "shocked" sounding, "They score!", Lorentz made it sound like he was their cheerleader or something....other than that I thought him and Roby were pretty good overall...looks like the Sabres have depth in their announcing department too...hahaha

hahaha yeah i was watching the game with my brother and i said the same exact thing. LOL

After Vanek scored, he was like "oh he scored, what a goal" in a soft voice, then Straka scores and he is all up and pumped. I didn't get it, the only thing i will say is the crowd went crazy which got him excited and he forget what he was really doing.... that's the best explainiation i could have come up with. haha.

NHL Goal videos from last night's game show Cullen planting him... He popped right up, but my guess is that was the shot.

The hit came late in the second period, and Novotny did not return. I'll take some slack for this, but we have a very soft team that can't take a hit. The formula for beating Buffalo is probably going to be to give them a good pounding. Can we give as good as we get? Can we hold up? Losing Grier, Dumont and McKee made me nervous for this reason...

The hit came late in the second period, and Novotny did not return. I'll take some slack for this, but we have a very soft team that can't take a hit. The formula for beating Buffalo is probably going to be to give them a good pounding. Can we give as good as we get? Can we hold up? Losing Grier, Dumont and McKee made me nervous for this reason...

You'll get no slack, but you might get some flak.

Here's some: our injuries thus far don't, IMHO, make us a "soft" team. Lots of teams have had injury problems, many more serious than we've suffered. We haven't lost anyone for the season. Tallinder's injury is the worst one, and he'll be back by xmas. Lydman, Hecht and Novotny all got creamed on huge open-ice hits, and all probably suffered concussions. Roy got slashed on his hand and either broke a bone or suffered a deep bruise. These injuries don't make them "soft". Most of the players in the league would have suffered the same consequences on those plays.

Having said that, I completely agree that teams are going to be looking to bang us around. I thought this was what Carolina did to us after we went ahead by a couple of goals last time we played them, and that we didn't respond in kind as well as I would've liked. I also agree that for this reason I would've preferred to have kept Grier. Evidently Darcy agreed, since we tried to keep him. But he didn't want to stay, so now other guys have to step up and fill this role.

In that regard: (i) I really liked that both Mair and Briere went after Hollweg on 2 separate occasions last night after he took runs at Kalinin and Pominville and (ii) the Carolina game notwithstanding, I don't think we generally get out-hit -- I think it's usually at least even and that we often out-hit the opposition.

Injuries are one thing. But I do think this team has been pretty resilient as far as not taking a night off.

Grier is missed, esp. in shorthanded minutes.

McKee however, is a guy that plays a physical game and pays the price for it physically.

How many has he played for St. Louis?

Don't worry, I agree with you. This team is small and not as physical as the rest of the league. The injuries will eep coming if teams decide to fight their speed with phsyical play. The fact that Briere went after someone last night should worry people. With his talent and salary, he should not be going after anybody. Do you really want to lose him for a couple games due to some stupid injury he gets from going after someone? Thats why a player like Peters is still needed. He is cheap, and tough so he can take the shots and dish some out, yet he is cheap enough that losing him isn't going to hurt the team much. Mair and Gaustad are also good for that role, but have a better upside that you don't want to see them miss as much time due to an injury.

This is just one of the problems with this kind of team. Its very difficult to find fast skaters who can also provide a physical pressence on the ice and score 30+ goals like everyone expects on the players on this team to do.

*Don't take this as me saying every injury they have is from getting hit and being small, I know some have been fluke accidents that any player would be injured from.

You'll get no slack, but you might get some flak.

Grrrr.

Lydman, Hecht and Novotny all got creamed on huge open-ice hits, and all probably suffered concussions.

Easy for me to say, but only the hit on Hecht looked like that big of a deal. That's the point. If THAT hit is going to knock Novotny out, what does it say? These guys are awesome, but most of them are delicate flowers, and I don't mean Guy.

slack, flack, fric or frac - whatever - i'm not slanging it PA's way necessarily. while i disagree with the conclusion that our team can't take a hit (we can take plenty -- it's just a question of whether we can get up :unsure:), i agree about the formula.

the trend that gave rise to this formula is, by now, established. i think ottawa actually started it this november (or was it last spring in game 2? :wallbash:), or at least the ottawa games of late were the first time i noticed the formula's evolution. (i actually posted on the issue a couple weeks ago somewhere's.)

anyway -- we have no choice but to live with what's going on -- we're a fast, fleet, undersized team that's difficult to catch, match, and, ultimately, beat. if i'm on the other side, that'd be my strategy: search and destroy any time you get a chance, it's the only way to slow the sabres down.

it's up to the guys in the room now (and most of the guys in the amerks' room, probably :unsure: ) to step up, take the abuse, stem the tide, impose our game on the other side, and win the hardware in june.

I'm not keeping score, but I think a lot of the injuries are from blocking shots.

We had injuries last year, too, BTW.

Archived