So how disappointed will you be when we suffer our first loss?

JujuFish

I know there are different possible levels, depending on the circumstances. But, in general, when we do see that first L, how much (if any) will it disappoint you? I've been on such a high from all the winning that it seems like it would be a serious let down. I'd like to think that I would not be disappointed, since the Sabres have done so well at this point. I just hope that when they do take the first one, it's after having played a hard fought, well played match.

At times I think, so what. Other times I say, "hope its not aginst Carolina" or tonight we need a win. So be it, we're 7-0, it will come I think we exercised all demons so far this year (Carolina 2-0, home and away, in Ottawa (against Hasek), in Detroit. Destroyed Philly.. Some willl come soon, but I just think it will make this team that much better. Ruff will ensure. Take note: I hope that the team that beats us first, better hope it doesn't meet us in the playoffs.

This is kind of a weird situation, but yeah I'll be upset because at this point I feel this team can't be outplayed our outskated unless they LET themselves be.

Hence, any loss I will attribute to The Sabres not giving their best rather than the opposition being the better team.

Hehe, sometimes I pity the players for living with the fans expectations.

jad makes the best point. Actually, I welcome the first loss and won't be disappointed. I really don't want to see some crazy 17-game winning streak to start the season. Too many distractions and expectations associated with that. :) And I really think given some of the flaws in their game at times that a nice slice of humble pie wouldn't hurt this team right now. Most of all, I don't want that damned Presidents' Trophy. Get away from me with that garbage. Pttoooooey.

I am not worried about a loss either, it's gonna happen, and I don't worry about it turning into a bad stretch with this team.

But great teams are not afraid of things like the President's Trophy or expectations. At the end of the day, home ice throughout the playoffs IS important, so if the Prez Trophy comes with it, so be it. Get every point you can.

Losing sucks but I won't be dissapointed. We're the only remaining unbeaten. Now that they've got that one checked off the list of things to do this year, they can drop one or two. That ought to hold 'em until at least the middle of January, when they can loose another couple.

Losses will obviously happen. I will be as dissapointed as any other Sabre loss, but not more than normal simply because of the streak.

What I'd love to see is the Sabres make it to January 1, 2007 with a single digit loss column. At the most that would average out to 3 losses per month. At the worst case in my scenario, it would be a record of 29-9 with a minimum 58 points.

But great teams are not afraid of things like the President's Trophy or expectations. At the end of the day, home ice throughout the playoffs IS important, so if the Prez Trophy comes with it, so be it. Get every point you can.

Seventy percent of Presidents' Trophy winners over the years might disagree.

Seventy percent of Presidents' Trophy winners over the years might disagree.

30% agree though... plus, not like we've won the cup or the presidents trophy in the past to judge it on. this team is a different animal. if this team went 82-0-0, i wouldn't be scared...

The big concern when you have team that dominates the regular season is whether that team is built to win in the regular season, and almost by definition, and not in the playoffs. If that makes any sense... The two seasons are different animals, as we all know. I just don't want to see the Sabres be this season's Ottawa Senators, only to lose to some young, hungry, gritty bunch in the playoffs. I guess it's as good a time as any to ask -- are the Sabres gritty enough, having lost McKee, Grier, Dumont and Pyatt (just kidding)? They ARE a group that doesn't hit much and loves to score the fancy goal... Yeah, I'm just trying to instigate a conversation here, but it is something to think about.

They out-hit the gritty Cup champs last night 22-11 or something like that, and that was with the banger line playing only in the 1st period ...

I see what you are saying about not wanting to be this year's ottawa, but they are not winning soft like ottawa did last year ... they are winning one goal games aganst good teams ... besides, they won the same number of games Ottawa did last season during the reular season. They had more success in the playoffs because they ARE gritty and just find a way. They don't turtle when the going gets tough. That's how you win in the playoffs. They did lose some gritty guys, but I have seen nothing soft about Spacek or Novotny thus far ... they might not be as physical, but they are not backing down either. I guess I am just not worried about any team led by Lindy Ruff and Chris Drury turning into a team led by Danielle Alfredsson.

I guess I am just not worried about any team led by Lindy Ruff and Chris Drury turning into a team led by Danielle Alfredsson.

OK I am going to call myself out and back off this statement a bit ... Ottawa was a really good team and I really think a big reason the Sabres won that series was goaltending ... at least that's why they won in 5 ... but again, I hear ya, they have followed great regular seasons with disappointing playoffs more than once. I am just saying they didn't have disappointing playoffs BECAUSE they had a good regular season. Buffalo and Carolina both also won 52 games last season and were just fine in the playoffs. I think it's much more likely the Sabres would continnue to be themselves, President's Trophy or not, than it is that they woudl turn into Ottawa.

This team is very resiliant, same as last year. They don't get rattled when behind and they keep the effort up for 60 minutes. Remember last season Carolina came from behind numerous time pre and post season. That stlyle lead them to the Stanley Cup. They had the same belief/confidence that this team does.

We have solid goaltending, team speed and grittiness. I think we are built to succed in the playoffs. We can run 4 lines with balanced scoring and our D is solid. Like any season there will be ups and downs but I don't see us as being flash in the pan.

Archived