So how disappointed will you be when we suffer our first loss?

JujuFish

BTP, you really should stop arguing with yourself. Do you have a good devil on one shoulder and the bad one on the other? :)

I agree with you.

One thing, though. I've learned to be very suspicious of the hitting stats. It sure didn't seem like a physical game at all, and it certainly didn't feel like one team doubled up on hits on the other.

The big concern when you have team that dominates the regular season is whether that team is built to win in the regular season, and almost by definition, and not in the playoffs. If that makes any sense... The two seasons are different animals, as we all know. I just don't want to see the Sabres be this season's Ottawa Senators, only to lose to some young, hungry, gritty bunch in the playoffs. I guess it's as good a time as any to ask -- are the Sabres gritty enough, having lost McKee, Grier, Dumont and Pyatt (just kidding)? They ARE a group that doesn't hit much and loves to score the fancy goal... Yeah, I'm just trying to instigate a conversation here, but it is something to think about.

They did lose some of their physical toughness, but I think the 4th line is filling that role just fine. I think they will wear other teams down by rolling 4 lines and 6 defensemen every game, while other teams double and triple shift their stars. Fatigue will make a big difference in a tight game, and a tight series.

OK I am going to call myself out and back off this statement a bit ... Ottawa was a really good team and I really think a big reason the Sabres won that series was goaltending ... at least that's why they won in 5 ... but again, I hear ya, they have followed great regular seasons with disappointing playoffs more than once. I am just saying they didn't have disappointing playoffs BECAUSE they had a good regular season. Buffalo and Carolina both also won 52 games last season and were just fine in the playoffs. I think it's much more likely the Sabres would continnue to be themselves, President's Trophy or not, than it is that they woudl turn into Ottawa.

Ahhh don't back off!!! Though both entries are good. The best thing about this team is the NEVER quit! Ruff and Drury won't let'em. Ottawa won with flash, we have substance!! We have consistancy, look at Ottawa today! They are falling apart at the seams!!

Seventy percent of Presidents' Trophy winners over the years might disagree.

Alot of ECHL fans warned us about the Brabham Cup curse. Only ONE team in ECHL history had ever won the regular season and then gone on to the Kelly Cup. After last season, that number is now two - and we had a much tougher road than any prior Cup winner, having to beat three 100 point regular season teams to win our first title.

Fear of success is for losers.

Alot of ECHL fans warned us about the Brabham Cup curse. Only ONE team in ECHL history had ever won the regular season and then gone on to the Kelly Cup. After last season, that number is now two - and we had a much tougher road than any prior Cup winner, having to beat three 100 point regular season teams to win our first title.

Fear of success is for losers.

That team in Alaska still has the most expensive travel costs though!

Archived