Is Connolly getting better?

Corp000085

OK, maybe I'm a loser, but I have 7-6 saved permanently on my Tivo and I watched part of it last night. Timmy was just amazing (as was the whole game). An unbelievable solo effort on a shorthanded goal to tie it at 3, a great rush up ice, with stickhandling moves to freeze the goalie and defenseman and the pass to Roy to tie it at 5 with 90 seconds left and of course the 2nd game-tying goal with 10 seconds left. He was also interviewed between periods -- shaved head, thick beard, 2 shiners from being hit in the face with the puck a week before -- a face only a mother or a sabres fan could love.

If his doctors tell him not to play again, I'll deeply regret what might've been, but I'll wish him very well in life. If it had to be his last game in the NHL, 7-6 was a quite a way to go out.

On the other hand, I'm leaning in favor of him coming back after New Year's, getting his game polished and into the zone by March, and winning the Conn Smythe this year that he would've won last year.

BTW, I'd be grateful if anyone can point me to a picture of TC with the beard and the shiners.

go Sabres.

• 1 month later...
Okay all you Connolly optimists, read the Buffalo News article today. Doesn't sound like he is EVER coming back to me. Doesn't sound like he is making any progress.

i can pretty much guarentee that he'll be at best a healthy scratch during the playoff run. I really don't see him coming back this year at all... if ever. Too bad, as he was finally coming into his own after a dreadful start to his career. For the sake of the buffalo sabres, i just hope that his next concussion does not occur with him in the blue and gold.

It's always sad when you face the reality of a player like Connolly with early retirement. All of us, including him, will always think what could have been? Could we have won the cup last year? Or this year? Maybe both years?

Call me optimistic or in denial, but i think Connolly will return. I think if Connolly is placed in between Vanek and Max, we have by far the best line in hockey and still have Briere, Drury, Roy and Hecht spread out on two other lines. I think, our chances with Connolly in the playoffs are a sure hit for the finals, so yeah, i am in denial until i hear official word that he is retired.

It's sad though and i hope he's alright, he needs to look out for his life and family. But it sucks for our team.

As I said in an earlier post, I can't see them keeping Connelly around for charity when we're up against the cap in the year of our best shot at the cup. UNLESS he is likely to return and the Sabres are keeping him as the ace up the sleeve by throwing other teams off track. Sadly, I think it's the former.

so, that picture brings me to my latest conspiracy theory... was connolly hiding a concussion when he got his nose broken, causing those black eyes??

That pic is a cap from right after he tied game 1. He was one fire. I seriously doubt it...

That pic is a cap from right after he tied game 1. He was one fire. I seriously doubt it...

I think a lot of people seem to forget how awesome he was playing and becoming before he got hurt. i think it is a consensus opinion that we would have won the cup if we had Tim throughout the entire playoffs, even with all the d injuries.

I can't believe some people are even voicing the idea of letting Tim go at some point, not when he will be coming back, maybe not soon, but he will.

Also, people tend to forget that in Game 1 against Ottawa, Tim scored twice, tying the game with like 10 seconds left. If Tim doesn't make that backhand swipe, we may not beat Ottawa in the series. All they needed was the confidence that win would've provided. If we can get Time back this season, preferably before March, then it will give a boost to our team by playoff time that will get us the cup this time.

Ko -

I remember how awesome he was, and thats why it's so sad. But read today's Buffalo News. He's not coming back this year, unless the Sabres are working another one of their brilliant misinformation campaigns.

At what cost do we keep an expensive non-contributing player around during the last year in which we have Briere, Drury, Max, et al?

Ko -

I remember how awesome he was, and thats why it's so sad. But read today's Buffalo News. He's not coming back this year, unless the Sabres are working another one of their brilliant misinformation campaigns.

At what cost do we keep an expensive non-contributing player around during the last year in which we have Briere, Drury, Max, et al?

I believe there is a slight chance TC will be back for the playoffs. If not, I'm confident we will see him at training camp next year. How long he will last, is a question for another day.

Ko -

Does anyone remember Peter Forsberg in 2001-02 season? I forget the entire story or his injury, but he missed their entire season. Didn't even play one game that season, but dressed in the playoffs for the Aves. He played in 20 games, scored 9 goals and had 18 assists. Obviously he needed to be in shape but who's to say Connolly isn't doing off-ice activities? I don't know the injury Forsberg had but i doubt he was on the ice every day practicing, and i'm guessing someone like Connolly can return to the ice to practice for a few weeks, get in shape and then play in the playoffs and not really lose a step, esspicially since he'd be playing with Max and Vanek.

And it's been proven before that a star player can miss a season, and not lose much chemestry at all. Connolly has that type of skill, IMO.

OK, maybe I'm a loser...

maybe? :nana:

i can pretty much guarentee that he'll be at best a healthy scratch during the playoff run. I really don't see him coming back this year at all... if ever. Too bad, as he was finally coming into his own after a dreadful start to his career. For the sake of the buffalo sabres, i just hope that his next concussion does not occur with him in the blue and gold.

Tim needs to think of his future. I would hang 'em up ala Brett Lindros. Don't end up a veg, Timmy!

Tim will not retire, unless doctors say there is no chance he can safely comeback and play hockey. That is not the case. Doctors expect him to make a full recovery. Unfortunately, a definitive timeframe for a return does not exist since it has to be played by ear. As far as I know Its reoccurring headaches that happen every 5 - 10 days that are keeping him from exercising and doctors want to wait till he can go at least two weeks without one before he can even exercise. He'll be back we may just need to be patient.

And If I'm not mistaken(and I could be.. Dave am I correct in saying) his contract is guaranteed so we won't get any cap relief.

maybe? :nana:

Tim needs to think of his future. I would hang 'em up ala Brett Lindros. Don't end up a veg, Timmy!

Sorry but I don't agree. He signed his name on the contract, he needs to do whatever it takes to get back on the ice. If not..retire today and free up 3 mil of cap space.

And If I'm not mistaken(and I could be.. Dave am I correct in saying) his contract is guaranteed so we won't get any cap relief.

There won't be any financial relief to Tom G., but I believe if Tim does not play this year, his salary will not count against the cap.

Sorry but I don't agree. He signed his name on the contract, he needs to do whatever it takes to get back on the ice. If not..retire today and free up 3 mil of cap space.

Retiring will not free up cap space. That's why Mogilny is also a long term injury rather than retired.

Ko -

I understand what you're saying, and I think I saw the article that you're referring to. That article didn't say he wouldn't be back this season, but said he wouldn't be back this calendar year, meaning he could be back sometime in the 2007 half of the season

There won't be any financial relief to Tom G., but I believe if Tim does not play this year, his salary will not count against the cap.

Retiring will not free up cap space. That's why Mogilny is also a long term injury rather than retired.

That's not right. Players who are above the age of 35 (not 100% sure on that number) count against the cap if they retire while still under contract. Connolly isn't even close to that age, so if he retires, he's off the cap. Also, if he retires due to injury, the team still has to pay him and his deal is uninsured, so they'll pay no matter what.

Retired? LTIR? It doesn't matter to me. If the Sabres can have Connolly back for the playoffs(and even this is a big "if" in my mind) at no charge, but use his salary during the regular season in order for cap relief, let's do it. He is not coming back before then anyways, if he can't even exercise AT ALL 6-7 months after the injury occurred.

It sounds like the Sabres got some bad advice from the doctors and now they are just throwing their hands up in the air. I wonder what those same doctors say now? I hope they got a chunk of Timmy's contract for their expert opinion. <_<

That's not right. Players who are above the age of 35 (not 100% sure on that number) count against the cap if they retire while still under contract. Connolly isn't even close to that age, so if he retires, he's off the cap. Also, if he retires due to injury, the team still has to pay him and his deal is uninsured, so they'll pay no matter what.

Missed that. Sorry! :oops:

Archived