Here's one for the books!!

phSabres84

Props to GM Garth Snow on this deal...

You're kidding right? I wouldn't commit to anyone for that long. That organization is a joke. There should be an NHL true on maximum contract length, somewhere around five years.

Just wait til after 3, or 5 or 8 years he gets injured and is forced to retire, or they ever try to make a trade. He is an islander for 15 years, or they will atleast be paying him for that long

P.S. - If something were to happen and he does not play for the full 15 years, his contract is guaranteed so they would have to buy him out by paying 2/3's of the contract, but would that also count against the cap for the 15 years too?

under the current salary cap structure, he will count 4.5 million against the cap for 15 years, even if he is no longer on the team (I think)... that is insane... even if he is only making 2 million for the next 5 years and then gets a huge chunk of money... it's still the average per year that counts... this may be the worst deal in history.

someone here knows the cap rules, please let us know if this is correct

i'm dumbfounded -- left speechless.

in the history of sports, there have been a select few athletes who could have been reasonably given a (currently) generous, guaranteed 15-year deal. a guy like dom hasek comes to mind -- i.e., he was so insanely competetive for a long stretch of time, i honestly don't think it mattered what his contract terms were.

for the rest of the field, you have to have a carrot-stick dynamic -- it's a simple function of human nature.

I have a feeling there may be a mutiny on long island if this season doesn't go well. Wtf is a player suppose to do when your told, you will sign this contract to work for me for the next 15 years, or you will sit for the year? Wouldn't the players union object to this? Does this break labor laws in this country?

The players can't be too happy with the management situation there right now.

I'd like to see the details of the deal, and how they work out in regards to the CBA, but right now I cannot articulate all the reasons I think this is wrong and possibly the most ridiculous contract signing I have ever heard of.

under the current salary cap structure, he will count 4.5 million against the cap for 15 years, even if he is no longer on the team (I think)... that is insane... even if he is only making 2 million for the next 5 years and then gets a huge chunk of money... it's still the average per year that counts... this may be the worst deal in history.

someone here knows the cap rules, please let us know if this is correct

1st off, the current CBA, if extended will only run through 2012, so noone can say what will happen with the contract after that.

If the Isles decide to terminate the contract w/in the next year (prior to DiPietro turning 26), they can buy-out the contract for 1/3 the remaining $'s. If they try to terminate the contract after he turns 26, they will be on the hook for 2/3 the remaining $'s. Any buyout would be paid over twice the years remaining on the contract and will count against the salary cap for that same time span. Again, how the contract gets handled after the CBA expires is unknown.

According to the article, he will get $4.5MM in each year of the deal, so average $'s will = actual $'s on this particular deal.

To the best of my knowledge, if DiPietro retires for non-playing injury reasons, the Isles (or whoever he's been traded to by then) would be off the hook for the remaining $'s. If he retires due to playing injuries, he'd get 100% of his money. (I don't recall how the cap hit works in that case, I think it's full $'s but spread out over twice the remaining years.)

Also, and unrelated to this discussion, the TSN article claims this is the longest NHL deal ever. Technically it is but there was one signed that could be considered to be longer. In January of '79 (while still in the WHA, but with the merger into the NHL less than 10 months away), Peter Pocklington signed Gretzky to a 10 year deal with options on another 10 years. (He signed 99 through '99, get it?) I would probably still consider that to be the NHL's longest contract because DiPietro has as much chance of seeing his deal carry out for 15 years as I do of playing along side him in a Gorton's fisherman sweater.

And yet around here people think the Sabres are going to be the laughing stock of the league because too many fans watch Eye and care more about what the uniforms look like then who's in them

There are very few players you would ever lock into such a long term deal. Gretzky, Micheal Jordan, not many others. This is Rick Dipietro we are talking about. What has he even done to deserve the average of that salary?

I don't know who is dumber, the team for making the deal, or Dipietro for signing it, atleast he is guaranteed 2/3's of the deal at minimum, but in 15 years he could be making the league minimum with the way salaries are always escalating. Not a wise financial deal by him.

Props to GM Garth Snow on this deal...

Snow is just along for the ride. Wang is responsible for everything there.

What I'm wondering is if DiPietro even bothered to think about this deal for 10 seconds. If I'm given that offer, I sign it immediately. Sure, he's stuck with the Islanders for his entire career, but that is way too much money to walk away from.

This also makes the Miller signing look even better right now. Just imagine if we had given him a one year deal. He could've gone into arbitration next year with this deal as a comparable and walked away with a $6 million deal.

You're kidding right? I wouldn't commit to anyone for that long. That organization is a joke. There should be an NHL true on maximum contract length, somewhere around five years.

Certainly it ought to be less than the length of the CBA.

I hope this deal doesn't impact the arbitration process. Imagine, players holding out because they want a 15 year deal. Makes you wonder if players might demand this in an arbitration hearing since they'd be getting guaranteed money even if they suffer a career ending injury and they get job security even if they don't perform up to par with the money they receive. :blink:

And yet around here people think the Sabres are going to be the laughing stock of the league because too many fans watch Eye and care more about what the uniforms look like then who's in them

No, no, no, no, apus - you've got it all wrong. We'll be a very good hockey team, run by smart, fiscal-minded management, coached by some of the top coaches in the NHL, while we wear very ugly, non-traditional uniforms. The Isles, meanwhile, will be a joke of a franchise throughout the front office, all the way down to the "former Jack Adams winner who hasn't coached in the pros for almost a decade" head coach, but at least they'll have their traditional blue & orange sweaters...

That clear it up for ya? ;)

I hope this deal doesn't impact the arbitration process. Imagine, players holding out because they want a 15 year deal. Makes you wonder if players might demand this in an arbitration hearing since they'd be getting guaranteed money even if they suffer a career ending injury and they get job security even if they don't perform up to par with the money they receive. :blink:

The max contract length in arbitration is 2 years. But yeah, this is going to have a big impact on the next goalie who goes to arbitration. That $4.5 million rate is going to inflate a few contracts just like Havlat's did for Briere.

I'd like to see the details of the deal, and how they work out in regards to the CBA, but right now I cannot articulate all the reasons I think this is wrong and possibly the most ridiculous contract signing I have ever heard of.

As I think about this more and more I think I'd rather have Marty Biron as a goalie over Rick DePiesucko. Anyone with me on that?

What a great "business model" Wang is executing.

Archived