Here's one for the books!!

phSabres84

I hope this deal doesn't impact the arbitration process. Imagine, players holding out because they want a 15 year deal. Makes you wonder if players might demand this in an arbitration hearing since they'd be getting guaranteed money even if they suffer a career ending injury and they get job security even if they don't perform up to par with the money they receive. :blink:

You know, I had that same fear for a few minutes. But consider this: Any remotely reasonable arbitrator (I know, I know -- keep it down to a dull roar, cynics) is going to see that contract as a joke, an aberration. Consider also the statistical theorem known as regression to the mean (I think), which basically holds that when you have a limited number of values in a competition, or a marketplace, you eliminate the highest and lowest values to get a better sense of what's normal. I have confidence that Wang's activities will not destroy reasonable benchmarking for goalies.

One more thing: If Miller comes through his new contract with substantially the same stats he has to date, DiPietro will by that time be utterly irrelevant to valuing Miller.

Archived