We need a wordmark!!!

SDS

1. Maybe

2. Over used

3. and if he is fired?

4. Over used

5. Maybe

6. Maybe

Not gonna happen -- at least not anytime soon (if it does we can always change the name). I also have to believe that we are going to lock him up long term pretty soon. I want him to stay for the foreseeable future, as I believe most of us do. Naming the board after him would create what are called in other contexts "facts on the ground".

In any case I agree with you on #2 and #4. For that matter #5 is also pretty generic -- I'd prefer something with a Sabres connection.

SDS, do you think a font decision should wait until the Sabres release their wordmark? What if you select a font that ends up being similar to what the Sabres use? It might look like you tried to match the font but failed miserably.

I still like a clean, understated font that packs a punch versus a stylized font, like Accelerator. Anyway, the key to a cool wordmark will be that little typographic touch SDS talked about.

I did sleep on The Harbour Club 400, and it is growing on me a bit. The 400 Level would work, too. If you're thinking about new domain names to put the news links and forums under one umbrella, how about sabrespace.com or sabreactive.com?

How about Section 36?

Remember that huge block of seats in the oranges over at the Aud where most working-class people would sit, or game day purchases. It was a steep incline, and scary as hell to walk up and down.

And one time we were all poor kids who couldn't afford to sit anywhere else, but that is where we had the best hockey memories.

:lol:

how about "the top shelf"

That's kind of cool in regards to Rick's classic line, but I actually see that as being more pretentious to an outsider than "the Harbour Club".

Besides, I've always thought of this place as going more for the "speed rack" than "top shelf". :P

1. Maybe

2. Over used

3. and if he is fired?

4. Over used

5. Maybe

6. Maybe

I try to stay away from phrases that everyone uses on the different sites (despite the fact that we did the same for many moons). Now that I am in "branding identity" mode - I'm trying to carve out something unique. Several of your suggestions could certainly be considered.

Sleep on my suggestion (it can be any number - not just 400. Maybe 512 - #11's goal total?) and see if that fits well.

What (other than the obvious Sabres centric nature of this message board) are you trying to convey? Since this board is pretty much devoted to talking about the Sabres, would giving it a name that takes off on hockey talk (in general) or Sabres talk (specifically) be warranted, or would it end up too corny / not unique-enough?

If you wanted to go in that direction, a few possible directions that could be taken include:

Sabres Hot (Warm?) Stove

Hokey Hotline (something about some of the posts here just make this one sound appropriate :P )

Sharper Shooters.

I haven't really come up with any good ideas along that direction (obviously), but think someone far more creative than myself could come up with something linking both aspects of what this board represents (The Sabres Den?).

Hey! What happened to the "u" in "Harbour"?

It was aggravating me anyway.... :)

Here is accelerator...

SR_LT.jpg

Banner concept for front page:

sabresbanner8.jpg

I could also see a hockey stick under the logo and the blade to the right...

I think that it is appropriate to have a name that pays tribute to the tradition of the team. As a fan base we have been blessed to have one of the greatest anouncers that the sports has ever seen, so this is why I made my previous sugestion. This is also a discussion forum so the fact that "The Top Shelf" draws an allusion to the spoken word is also apporpriate. To the suggestion that this would be more pretentious than the harbor club I would respond that more Sabres fans know what Top Shelf means than what the Harbor Club is. Every Sabres fan has heard RJ call a game, but not all have been lucky enough to attend a game at the HSBC arena, and so probably dont have the faintes idea what the Harbor Club is. Also this is a forum predominantly frequented with Sabres fans, so we don't need to worry about outsiders not understnading the name.

I dont mean to rustle any feathers, I just wanted to make sure that this suggestion recieved its due consideration. Had no one responded to it I would have let it go, but at least one other person liked the idea so I figured there were others that kept silent. I also feel that if a new name is going to be chosen thenn it should somehow pay respect to the history of the organization and not just be something sharp and edgy. There are probably better choices than "The Top Shelf" but I wanted to make sure that the creative people on this board were focusing on th right areas (tradition).

Sorry about the long post and I hope it isnt too off topic I just thought this was an important topic. (getting off the soap box)

I posted a link to a few basic Ideas I had done up earlier and got some c&c on them and took them into account. The last few days I have been doing work on an ad layout with a 2pm deadline of today so I really didn't have time to work on it over the last few days. However, this evening I had a bit of time and did a little work on it.

Here's the link.

The first one is the same as a previous one with a metallic gold main color added to it.

The second one is just an idea I messed with of using a sabre with a ribbon wrapping around it to form an "R."

The third is simply the Sabres current jersey font.

The last is more along the lines of a true wordmark of different scaled letters and a pair of sabres behind.

Again, c&c is appreciated.

I think there are a lot of good ideas for names, here. Sabrespace, The Sabres Edge, and The Top Shelf all work well IMO...

Here is one more - The Swordsman Slugfest I thought about it last night as only something funny, but it seems to have grown on me in 24 hours...

BTW - those banners look great!

which ones?

I'm on a PDA tonight. A good PDA, with a big screen, but, it's still a PDA. They all look good. I'd prefer to hold off comments on my favorite till tomorrow when I look at them on something bigger than a VGA screen.

I posted a link to a few basic Ideas I had done up earlier and got some c&c on them and took them into account. The last few days I have been doing work on an ad layout with a 2pm deadline of today so I really didn't have time to work on it over the last few days. However, this evening I had a bit of time and did a little work on it.

Here's the link.

The first one is the same as a previous one with a metallic gold main color added to it.

The second one is just an idea I messed with of using a sabre with a ribbon wrapping around it to form an "R."

The third is simply the Sabres current jersey font.

The last is more along the lines of a true wordmark of different scaled letters and a pair of sabres behind.

Again, c&c is appreciated.

#2 is the best, imo.

You have some skills!

#1 looks pretty neat, I just don't know if the colr scheme fits.

#2 Is pretty good too. I should put you on sabre detail with the current logo just made

#3 I've always hated the sabres' jersey font

#4 My wife really liked that one. I think the angle is too tight on the sabres, but it has potential!

Archived