We need a wordmark!!!

SDS

Breakout Photochop, illustrator, Word, Paint, whatever... Let's see what you can come up with for :

"(the) Sabres Report"

"the" is optional. Right now, I'm trying t settle in on a font style. For instance you can go here:

http://www.myfonts.com/bestsellers.html

type in Sabres Report and see a bunch of examples of different font faces. You can also click on the font name and then click on "more fonts like this" to get get more variety of one style. Once we decide that we can set out to put in a few personalized strokes to come up witn a unique wordmark!

I figured everyone here has access to fonts and a simple word processing program, so let's just open this up to everyone so I can set our designer on the right track!

http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/typefetish/universally-corrupt/

For some reason I think this font fits. I can't put my finger on the word I want to use, but it seems to fit the meaning of the word "Report". Almost like something you would see on TV from a news source.

is it because it is named "universally-corrupt"...? :lol:

Anyone think about making a SabresReport.com banner that would be hung on one of the walls above the 300's??? kinda like this picture of a banner but with SR logo and junk...

yea yea it's euro style... scarfs??? B-)

do you mean a banner that gets hung before games by someone in those seats? I doubt the sabres would allow it...

I don't associate the words "The Sabres Report" with our board. I associate them with the news links. So it's hard to think of the right font for "The Sabres Report." Does that make any sense? If the board is going to be called "The Harbour Club" then maybe you want a wordmark for that?

I love stirring the pot!

And, no, I don't like any of those fonts so far. They're too stylized. If you think of some of the great wordmarks and logos, the fonts are usually quite transparent. They say a lot but they're not all fancy and snazzy.

It might help to start with a list of adjectives to describe the tone or mood you want the font to set. Bold, like most of our opinions. Masculine, this is hockey after all (sorry, ladies, you know who you are). Quirky, since most of us seem to be a bit touched.

I don't associate the words "The Sabres Report" with our board. I associate them with the news links. So it's hard to think of the right font for "The Sabres Report." Does that make any sense? If the board is going to be called "The Harbour Club" then maybe you want a wordmark for that?

I love stirring the pot!

I had already starting thinking about that.... I thought either a separate mark that could be a little more "fun" or at least putting "The Harbour Club" under the TSR mark.

And, no, I don't like any of those fonts so far. They're too stylized. If you think of some of the great wordmarks and logos, the fonts are usually quite transparent. They say a lot but they're not all fancy and snazzy.

I'm fighting the battle between unique and mainstream.

It might help to start with a list of adjectives to describe the tone or mood you want the font to set. Bold, like most of our opinions. Masculine, this is hockey after all (sorry, ladies, you know who you are). Quirky, since most of us seem to be a bit touched.

I've been doing that, but like the wind - it changes every hour...

Here are a few very basic ones I did up. I used the new Sabres official colors (Pantone blue 282c, Pantone Yellow 1235c and Pantone Silver 877c) but the color patterns can obviously be changed.

Sabres Report Wordmark Samples

those are a good start. #1 is too italicized. I am drawn to #2. It is almost identical to ESPN's logo. I think #3 may be too stretched out. Most wordmarks tend to stay condensed as they appear more as a single object than a string of letters. #4 is nice too, but I don't think the silver looks right against the gold.

I had already starting thinking about that.... I thought either a separate mark that could be a little more "fun" or at least putting "The Harbour Club" under the TSR mark.

I'm fighting the battle between unique and mainstream.

I've been doing that, but like the wind - it changes every hour...

PolishSabre -- I really like both the idea of a TSR banner and the one you designed. Great call.

SDS -- I was going to keep quiet about this until PAFan rightly pointed out that the name of this board should be on the banner, but I still have a strong aversion to the name "The Harbour Club". Leaving aside the foreign spelling, which to my eye looks pretentious, the name itself, IMHO, is pretentious. Are we a bunch of "Club" people? How many of us sit in the club seats? How many of us belong to country clubs? Yacht clubs? Or for that matter to the Harbour Club itself?

This is what the Sabres' website says about the Harbour Club: "...During Sabres games, the Harbour Club 100 is a members only fine dining restaurant..." Does that sound like the group on this board? This board is for true Sabres' fans who bleed blue/gold/red/black/silver/white/whatever, watch every game and come here for informed, passionate discussion. Not "Club" types.

I hate to sound ungrateful. I've been silent on this since I initially voiced my misgivings, but if the name is going to appear on our banner I wanted to air it one more time and see if anyone else agreed.

Also, FWIW, the fonts I liked best were boycott and serpentine oblique.

SDS -- I was going to keep quiet about this until PAFan rightly pointed out that the name of this board should be on the banner, but I still have a strong aversion to the name "The Harbour Club". Leaving aside the foreign spelling, which to my eye looks pretentious, the name itself, IMHO, is pretentious. Are we a bunch of "Club" people? How many of us sit in the club seats? How many of us belong to country clubs? Yacht clubs? Or for that matter to the Harbour Club itself?

This is what the Sabres' website says about the Harbour Club: "...During Sabres games, the Harbour Club 100 is a members only fine dining restaurant..." Does that sound like the group on this board? This board is for true Sabres' fans who bleed blue/gold/red/black/silver/white/whatever, watch every game and come here for informed, passionate discussion. Not "Club" types.

F clubs!!!

FWIW, the spelling is actually bothering me too. I have thought about changing it to "Harbor". As far as "clubs" though - I think you are taking the meaning too literally. When the Aud Club was suggested, it was rightfully pointed out that the Aud Club ceased to exist 10 years ago and it is now empty. It's counterpart, is the Harbour Club.

Now, in keeping in line with the virtual world of "Two Bills Drive" the virtual world next door to One Bills Drive - I considered renaming the forum The Harbor Club 400 or some other entity that would be virtual and thus would be defined by us and not the Sabres. "The Harbor Club" for the common man so to speak... Would that sit better?

I hate to sound ungrateful. I've been silent on this since I initially voiced my misgivings...

Well, that's your fault. I beg people here to voice their opinions and I am ever grateful for their words of wisdom.

Anyhow, I agree with a lot of what you said and I wonder if my proposed changes make sense?

FWIW, the spelling is actually bothering me too. I have thought about changing it to "Harbor". As far as "clubs" though - I think you are taking the meaning too literally. When the Aud Club was suggested, it was rightfully pointed out that the Aud Club ceased to exist 10 years ago and it is now empty. It's counterpart, is the Harbour Club.

Now, in keeping in line with the virtual world of "Two Bills Drive" the virtual world next door to One Bills Drive - I considered renaming the forum The Harbor Club 400 or some other entity that would be virtual and thus would be defined by us and not the Sabres. "The Harbor Club" for the common man so to speak... Would that sit better?

Well, that's your fault. I beg people here to voice their opinions and I am ever grateful for their words of wisdom.

Anyhow, I agree with a lot of what you said and I wonder if my proposed changes make sense?

Thanks. "Harbor Club 400" is definitely an improvement IMHO. May I suggest some alternatives that struck me:

1. Arena Wall

2. Penalty Box

3. Lindy's Blackboard

4. In the Crease

5. High Slot

6. Sabre Legions

I'd probably choose #1 or #3, but that's just my opinion.

Thanks. "Harbor Club 400" is definitely an improvement IMHO. May I suggest some alternatives that struck me:

1. Arena Wall

2. Penalty Box

3. Lindy's Blackboard

4. In the Crease

5. High Slot

6. Sabre Legions

1. Maybe

2. Over used

3. and if he is fired?

4. Over used

5. Maybe

6. Maybe

I try to stay away from phrases that everyone uses on the different sites (despite the fact that we did the same for many moons). Now that I am in "branding identity" mode - I'm trying to carve out something unique. Several of your suggestions could certainly be considered.

Sleep on my suggestion (it can be any number - not just 400. Maybe 512 - #11's goal total?) and see if that fits well.

1. Arena Wall

2. Penalty Box

3. Lindy's Blackboard

4. In the Crease

5. High Slot

6. Sabre Legions

"The Half Wall" of "The Half Boards" might work, too...

OK, to really complicate things... SDS, I know you are trying to more tightly integrate the news links and the board. But "The Sabres Report" doesn't bind the two. And, like others, I have never liked "The Harbour Club." It has little meaning to the average fan, even if you add "300" to it. What about a new site name? One name, one logo, one wordmark, one slogan. Simplify. twobillsdrive was pure genius, by the way. Can you catch lightning in a bottle again? Only your legacy is on the line. No pressure. :)

Archived