Kalinin

nfreeman

He made $1.3 million last year, was hurt a good chunk of the year and was in Lindy's doghouse most of the time he wasn't hurt. Given how much the other defensemen are making, it'll probably cost at least $1.75 million to have him next year.

We are already at $34 million committed for next year: http://members.shaw.ca/cdelosreyes/. (that # includes Danny and Marty but obviously doesn't include Gaustad, Mair or Miller, not to mention Max and JP). Paetsch is signed for $500K. If we are looking to shave off $1.5 million or so from the payroll, Dmitri seems like a candidate -- much like Pyatt.

I don't really like the idea, since he was starting to play well toward the end of the year. Even in a crappy year, he averaged almost 17 minutes of ice time and was a +14 overall. I have to believe this is Teppo's last year. Finally, legit NHL defensemen who are mobile and can play both ends are precious commodities -- esp. at $2 million per year or less.

So, I wouldn't do it if it were my team, but I can't say I'd be shocked if it happens.

I'm glad we've had some, shall we say, thoughtless posts recently, because they tend to make my brain farts look pretty mild by comparison. Not sure where you're coming from, nfreeman. You say you don't like the idea, but it seems to be a continuation of your and others' obsession with Golisano's money. Let the man spend it! He's on a roll! Put down the abacus and put the beans away. Relax.

Yes, after taking some huge shots at Golisano about his commitment to the team, I've been very quiet through all of these signings. I decided to take someone's advice (not sure who) and wait until everything plays out. Still, in the interest of fairness, I think I should say I am absolutely thrilled so far with the commitment the owner has shown. It's fabulous. I still want to see what happens to Briere and how the negotiations go with Miller before drawing any conclusions, but so far so good. This is the direction I advocated, and as foolish as my comments about Goli being cheap look now, I think my opinion about how to build this team is being validated. And, without a doubt, I think the bean-counters who are being made to look like utter fools. I should know. I am one. I expect to see them at the next meeting.

I'm glad we've had some, shall we say, thoughtless posts recently, because they tend to make my brain farts look pretty mild by comparison. Not sure where you're coming from, nfreeman. You say you don't like the idea, but it seems to be a continuation of your and others' obsession with Golisano's money. Let the man spend it! He's on a roll! Put down the abacus and put the beans away. Relax.

Yes, after taking some huge shots at Golisano about his commitment to the team, I've been very quiet through all of these signings. I decided to take someone's advice (not sure who) and wait until everything plays out. Still, in the interest of fairness, I think I should say I am absolutely thrilled so far with the commitment the owner has shown. It's fabulous. I still want to see what happens to Briere and how the negotiations go with Miller before drawing any conclusions, but so far so good. This is the direction I advocated, and as foolish as my comments about Goli being cheap look now, I think my opinion about how to build this team is being validated. And, without a doubt, I think the bean-counters are being made to look like utter fools. I should know. I am one. I expect to see them at the next meeting.

He made $1.3 million last year, was hurt a good chunk of the year and was in Lindy's doghouse most of the time he wasn't hurt. Given how much the other defensemen are making, it'll probably cost at least $1.75 million to have him next year.

We are already at $34 million committed for next year: http://members.shaw.ca/cdelosreyes/. (that # includes Danny and Marty but obviously doesn't include Gaustad, Mair or Miller, not to mention Max and JP). Paetsch is signed for $500K. If we are looking to shave off $1.5 million or so from the payroll, Dmitri seems like a candidate -- much like Pyatt.

I don't really like the idea, since he was starting to play well toward the end of the year. Even in a crappy year, he averaged almost 17 minutes of ice time and was a +14 overall. I have to believe this is Teppo's last year. Finally, legit NHL defensemen who are mobile and can play both ends are precious commodities -- esp. at $2 million per year or less.

So, I wouldn't do it if it were my team, but I can't say I'd be shocked if it happens.

No, he's a good d-man. Will he always be injured so much? I hope not. If he stays healthy he has the potential to be a well above average player

Yes, after taking some huge shots at Golisano about his commitment to the team, I've been very quiet through all of these signings. I decided to take someone's advice (not sure who) and wait until everything plays out. Still, in the interest of fairness, I think I should say I am absolutely thrilled so far with the commitment the owner has shown. It's fabulous.

DeLuca came around last year too. :) From the top down, this team seems to be able to pleasantly surprise us.

Unlike everyone that called you an idiot (wtf?), I've got to say that it is a real possibility.

I wouldn't mind seeing us walk away from him, and saving .25-.5 mill or so by picking up Vishnevski, who Anahiem is trying to deal following his one-year, $1.55 million salary arbitration award. (tsn.ca)

Unlike everyone that called you an idiot (wtf?), I've got to say that it is a real possibility.

I wouldn't mind seeing us walk away from him, and saving .25-.5 mill or so by picking up Vishnevski, who Anahiem is trying to deal following his one-year, $1.55 million salary arbitration award. (tsn.ca)

The depth of this team is in the forward ranks. I can't see the Sabres messing with the best 1 through 6 defensive corp in the NHL. All six can move the puck, play the point on the powerplay and penalty kill. Add in them being coached by James Patrick. I doubt a move is made there. Unless a deal is made that brings in another blueliner. Either Biron, Briere, Max or Dumont may be dealt before the season starts. If they pickup a solid blueline prospect, that may free Kalinin up for a trade.

It will depend on where the Sabres land after arbitration and what kind of offers they have been getting since they started shopping players. ;)

I hope they manage to keep hold of the pre-lockout Kalinin, but if they get the patchy play guy from last season, I'd happily see him traded as long as they could get a fair return - although that would depend on how highly another team would value him.

I hope he shows up for camp ready to play and play well and consistantly.

Kalinin really worked his ass off at the end of the year and in my opinion if kalinin did not get injured we would have had that extra defenseman to beat carolina so we sould definitly keep him.were a team that can win the cup given we dont fall to the injury bug again.we have the players and were counting on our defensive core to keep us in this state,kalinin is a big part to that and he deserves to stay. we could probably sign him for a deal similar to tallinder but for less money.

Kalinin stays - Regier & Quinn love the D as is..but our payroll is up to almost $40 MM (assuming we pay Briere his $5 MM).

Since part of the business plan is to be in the bottom third of the league in payroll so we can get revenue sharing $$, our final payroll will have to come down substantially -- we were about $10 MM under the cap this year, so I'd expect more of the same - something in the $34-36MM range. For this to happen, more changes will be made -- Biron must go ASAP (not sure where he's going, now that Florida and Detroit signed Belfour & Hasek)..Max will likely go -- there's no way we can pay him the $3 -$4 MM he's going to be awarded in arbitration, and I think Dumont's a goner. Obviously, trading Briere would change this scenario, but I'm not sure that'll happen (and I'm not sure that I would be happy if that happened -- I think I'd rather have Briere than Max & Dumont).

This is the direction I advocated, and as foolish as my comments about Goli being cheap look now, I think my opinion about how to build this team is being validated. And, without a doubt, I think the bean-counters who are being made to look like utter fools. I should know. I am one. I expect to see them at the next meeting.

Now that is comedy -- gave me a good laugh.

And I agree -- you can't cut ties with Tree at this point, too much upside. We also need to keep in mind that this year might be Teppo's last (at least before he starts a planned phase-out/mentoring role a la James Patrick).

Kalinin stays - Regier & Quinn love the D as is..but our payroll is up to almost $40 MM (assuming we pay Briere his $5 MM).

Since part of the business plan is to be in the bottom third of the league in payroll so we can get revenue sharing $$, our final payroll will have to come down substantially -- we were about $10 MM under the cap this year, so I'd expect more of the same - something in the $34-36MM range. For this to happen, more changes will be made -- Biron must go ASAP (not sure where he's going, now that Florida and Detroit signed Belfour & Hasek)..Max will likely go -- there's no way we can pay him the $3 -$4 MM he's going to be awarded in arbitration, and I think Dumont's a goner. Obviously, trading Briere would change this scenario, but I'm not sure that'll happen (and I'm not sure that I would be happy if that happened -- I think I'd rather have Briere than Max & Dumont).

Maybe the business plan has changed, or the plan never was to stay in the bottom third of the league in payroll. Is that urban legend or did the Sabres actually come out and say that before last season? They sure aren't acting like a team that plans on being in the bottom third. Why spend so freely and then start lopping?

Maybe the business plan has changed, or the plan never was to stay in the bottom third of the league in payroll. Is that urban legend or did the Sabres actually come out and say that before last season? They sure aren't acting like a team that plans on being in the bottom third. Why spend so freely and then start lopping?

I think it was indeed urban legend. Before last season I think it was kind of assumed because no one envisioned them having to pay these guys so much. But then no one envisioned 12,000 season tickets sold either, so plans can change.

I HOPE you're right and that it's changed..I'm not sure Quinn ever stated it overtly, but I'm pretty sure he alluded to the necessity of revenue sharing $$ on more than one occasion. I still can't see us spending close to the cap, especially without the lucrative Adelphia deal....on that note, what's the latest on TV broadcasts? Any updates? Is Alan Pergament on this board?

The business plan has changed I think and the Sabres have done a good job of retaining a team that can go deep in the playoffs with a couple of spare parts that can be traded to fix some holes during the season. Plus with the horrible new Jersey they can make a new one next year and keep rolling in the cash....... B-)

The idea of trading Kalinin has also popped up on other Sabres boards and I don't get it. Unless you are getting a vet dman in return(which if this is the case, then why trade Kalinin), you would be left with Paetsch(who has had a cup of coffee at the NHL level) as your #6 and Jillson(forget about it), Card, Funk & Sekera(not even a game at the AHL level combined) as your #7.

Archived