What would it say about our "Captain" Danny Briere..

deluca67

if he were the only player on the team to go through the arbitration process? <_<

It is a strong possibility.

Here is Briere a "Captain" talking about the organIzations desire to keep the team together and win and yet he's the only one to hold them to the arbitration process?

If you're a Kotilik, Lydman or Pominville and you decided to take less then you may have gotten through arbitration how do you feel about a "Captain" who runs his mouth but doesn't back it up with his actions?

If you're a player who didn't talk about wanting to keep the team together but proved it with your actions? How do you not question Briere's motives?

Just wondering.

if he were the only player on the team to go through the arbitration process? <_<

Here is Briere a "Captain" talking about the organIzations desire to keep the team together and win and yet he's the only one to hold them to the arbitration process?

If you're a Kotilik, Lydman or Pominville and you decided to take less then you may have gotten through arbitration how do you feel about a "Captain" who runs his mouth but doesn't back it up with his actions?

If you're a player who didn't talk about wanting to keep the team together but proved it with your actions? How do you not question Briere's motives?

Just wondering.

Interesting angle but I really do not feel the other players will resent Briere because he went to arbitration, even though Briere is the captian..just about all players want their fellow teammates to get what they can, because there might be a day when Pominville is 28 and coming up a point a game season and he might do the exact same thing.

Just wondering.

I've always liked Danny and still do. So what if he went to arbitration? Hey, he maybe looked at Connelly and said, 'sh!t, that could happen to me on opening night, I better get all I can.' He's a good down to earth guy looking after his family. I respect that.

Hey guess what he's only one of the captains, so he went and got his money. This whole getting less, so it would help the team, really would any of you do this at your job? Oh boy I better not ask for that raise or they can't pay everybody. Hell no, gimme that raise.

The thing that bothered me about Danny, was his moaning about Jay McKee, well sometimes you gotta let players go Danny. So shut up and play. You don't see Drury flapping his mouth.

If you live in Buffalo NY and Quebec and get paid in US dollars is it really "looking out for your family" when you insist on arbitration to get a one year $5 million dollar contract instead of settling for a 4 year contract for 14 million? This isn't comparable to getting $10 per hour plus health insurance instead of $9 per hour with no benefits!

If you live in Buffalo NY and Quebec and get paid in US dollars is it really "looking out for your family" when you insist on arbitration to get a one year $5 million dollar contract instead of settling for a 4 year contract for 14 million? This isn't comparable to getting $10 per hour plus health insurance instead of $9 per hour with no benefits!

But his career could end tomorrow. I don't blame him at all. Take what you can get! 2 years from now, or even two days from now, his career might be over. He is living a blessed life, no doubt, but why not make the most of it? I'd love to buy my mom a million dollar farm and not have to worry about it. Brier is looking after himself and his family, nothing wrong with that

But his career could end tomorrow. I don't blame him at all. Take what you can get! 2 years from now, or even two days from now, his career might be over. He is living a blessed life, no doubt, but why not make the most of it? I'd love to buy my mom a million dollar farm and not have to worry about it. Brier is looking after himself and his family, nothing wrong with that

MPHS Mike is right - we aren't talking about the ability to feed your family here. If Danny can't maintain dual residences on $4M per year, too bad - give one up. Move the family to Buffalo - plenty of good suburbs with good schools, and its comparable weather to Quebec. Many municipalities ask their teachers, firefighters, police, etc., to live in the city they work for. The NHL doesn't require that, but the argument is the NHL version of Patrick Ewing's famous "we make a lot of money, but we spend a lot too" comments. Will Danny's kids ever have to get their school clothes from the Salvation Army, or will Mrs. Briere ever be seen using food stamps to pay for groceries? I doubt it. Just throwing a portion of a $3.5M annual salary in a plain old savings account should keep gas in the Briere family's tanks. Just don't cry poor b/c you can't maintain 2 homes on a paltry $4M salary when there are a lot of people trying to maintain one on a hell of a lot less.

Dave can correct me (and probably will) if I'm wrong, but I think the contracts are guaranteed, so if Briere breaks his neck (God forbid) in training camp after signing a 4-yr, $14M contract, the Sabres (and likely insurance) would pay that money to him.

And you're right, nothing there's wrong with taking care of your family - but don't try to fool us into thinking you're all about the team, and staying on a winner, and all that crap, then worry only about "getting yours." If he (and McKee, for that matter) were the team leaders some are making them out to be, they would have gone to Darcy the day after the season ended, and said let's get a deal done, so we can keep the team together. Instead, we saw that they were going for the big payday. Good for them, go get yours - but quit blowing smoke up my a$$ about how you love the city, want to play on a winner, blah blah blah.

If the Sabres went to Danny with a completely lowball proposal, then I completely understand him saying, "we think I'm worth more than that, let's see what we can work out, or we'll see what the arbitrator has to say."

Its like hitting one of the small lotteries - $5 million maybe - you wouldn't be able to retire on it, but if you don't lose your head and go nuts with the dough, you shouldn't have to worry about money for a long time.

Just wondering.

Ever lobbied your boss for a raise? It's tough. If you're good, you get a decent raise; if not, well, you get a cost of living adjustment, maybe. In the process, there are natural tensions that develop which are unhealthy to the environment of a workforce as a team.

Daniel Briere has a mechanism available whereby an outsider determines his worth. He doesn't have to accept his employer's evaluation of his worth. The Sabres and Briere could have avoided it but didn't.

Do you honestly think that because it's a sports job that he should look at it differently than any other job? I have "teammates" too--co-workers, superiors, subordinates. And I have "fans"--called clients in my occupation. But every October, I'm out for one guy, and if that one guy isn't satisfied, there are other teams. My chemistry with my "teammates" is awesome, and it's a huge factor in weighing whether "should I stay or should I go now," and it's also a huge factor in my success, because our "team" is great. But if there's an offer 20% higher than what I'm making and it's not matched, I'm out.

Why should Daniel's situation be any different? Until he's a UFA, he hasn't the luxury of looking at every other team, as most of us do. He's unionized, and many of us aren't, but the deal the employers cut allowed for salary review in this manner and in this manner only.

I think it's way off base to characterize someone as greedy just because he tries for the best raise he can get. We all do the same when we get the chance. His motive, which you question, is clear: to get the most money he can.

C'mon, DeLuca, look at it this way: let's say you make $100K/yr. You know you're worth $200K, but your employer won't pay it--but someone else will. But you don't have a restricted industry preventing you from moving. You take the $200K from the other employer! Daniel Briere doesn't have that option of switching employers. He has a league with a sensible cap and a good ADR process that sets his salary instead. (Not that I'm in love with the decision; I'm not.)

If he were in ANY sector other than pro sports, he could seek his own market value. Instead, an arbitrator sets that market value for him. That's it. It's not greed, and it's not disregard for the team. Was the award a little on the high side? Certainly. Is Briere greedy to the point of not being a good captain or a good teammate? No, and without question. If I'm Kotalik or Lydman or Pommer, as you asked, I like my own deal, like that my teammate got a great evaluation, and hope the Sabres sign him.

Ever lobbied your boss for a raise? It's tough. If you're good, you get a decent raise; if not, well, you get a cost of living adjustment, maybe. In the process, there are natural tensions that develop which are unhealthy to the environment of a workforce as a team.

Daniel Briere has a mechanism available whereby an outsider determines his worth. He doesn't have to accept his employer's evaluation of his worth. The Sabres and Briere could have avoided it but didn't.

Do you honestly think that because it's a sports job that he should look at it differently than any other job? I have "teammates" too--co-workers, superiors, subordinates. And I have "fans"--called clients in my occupation. But every October, I'm out for one guy, and if that one guy isn't satisfied, there are other teams. My chemistry with my "teammates" is awesome, and it's a huge factor in weighing whether "should I stay or should I go now," and it's also a huge factor in my success, because our "team" is great. But if there's an offer 20% higher than what I'm making and it's not matched, I'm out.

Why should Daniel's situation be any different? Until he's a UFA, he hasn't the luxury of looking at every other team, as most of us do. He's unionized, and many of us aren't, but the deal the employers cut allowed for salary review in this manner and in this manner only.

I think it's way off base to characterize someone as greedy just because he tries for the best raise he can get. We all do the same when we get the chance. His motive, which you question, is clear: to get the most money he can.

C'mon, DeLuca, look at it this way: let's say you make $100K/yr. You know you're worth $200K, but your employer won't pay it--but someone else will. But you don't have a restricted industry preventing you from moving. You take the $200K from the other employer! Daniel Briere doesn't have that option of switching employers. He has a league with a sensible cap and a good ADR process that sets his salary instead. (Not that I'm in love with the decision; I'm not.)

If he were in ANY sector other than pro sports, he could seek his own market value. Instead, an arbitrator sets that market value for him. That's it. It's not greed, and it's not disregard for the team. Was the award a little on the high side? Certainly. Is Briere greedy to the point of not being a good captain or a good teammate? No, and without question. If I'm Kotalik or Lydman or Pommer, as you asked, I like my own deal, like that my teammate got a great evaluation, and hope the Sabres sign him.

It's not? Briere knows this City and what type of market it is. He knows the Sabres can't afford $5 million dollar hockey players, not that Briere is one.

I wouldn't have as much of a problem with Briere if he didn't take the time to come out and question the franchise and their desire to win. It seems 'two faced' to me. It's like he is saying "they only way this team can prove it wants to win is to grossly overpay me".

That's not a message I want to hear from a so called "leader" <_<

It's not? Briere knows this City and what type of market it is. He knows the Sabres can't afford $5 million dollar hockey players, not that Briere is one.

I wouldn't have as much of a problem with Briere if he didn't take the time to come out and question the franchise and their desire to win. It seems 'two faced' to me. It's like he is saying "they only way this team can prove it wants to win is to grossly overpay me".

So what if he knows this city and the market? Because he's an athlete, he shouldn't be free to seek the highest compensation he can get? What if he were a newscaster, and could make more in another market? A musician? A nurse? All are parts of "teams." Yet in those occupations, the worker gets to choose his/her market. The worker can say, well, I could make more at a news station in Charlotte than here at WIVB, so I'm going. In pro hockey, there's arbitration instead (or UFA status, which led McKee to choose his market).

His remark reflects the fact that he wants to keep the team together and knows the Sabres will need to spend more to do that, is all.

Just wondering.

I made a post very similar to this a week ago and agree completely. I don't mind that he went to arbitration but he better take back everything he said after game 7!!!!!

Maybe he knows the Sabres really can pay him that money and just don't want to? Whats the Difference between what he did and what Pommers, Kotalik, Lydman, and half the team did? They all went for arbitration just like he did, the only difference was they received offers from the club that they liked, Briere didn't. Maybe the team low balled him due to the fact he spoke up for McKee? Who says the same thing won't happen with Drury next year.

Deluca, What has Briere done to you that has made you dislike him so much? Did he not call you on you aniversary?, Run over your Dog?, Sleep with our significant other?, Forget your Birthday again? I just don't get how you can have so much angst against him.

Maybe he knows the Sabres really can pay him that money and just don't want to? Whats the Difference between what he did and what Pommers, Kotalik, Lydman, and half the team did? They all went for arbitration just like he did, the only difference was they received offers from the club that they liked, Briere didn't. Maybe the team low balled him due to the fact he spoke up for McKee? Who says the same thing won't happen with Drury next year.

Deluca, What has Briere done to you that has made you dislike him so much? Did he not call you on you aniversary?, Run over your Dog?, Sleep with our significant other?, Forget your Birthday again? I just don't get how you can have so much angst against him.

he only scored 2 OT winners this past playoffs. If you apply the "48 game injury quotient", he'd have scored 9 OT winners. Simple math, folks.

All of the above. Plus he...

Wouldn't give him an autograph

Cut him off on the skyway

Told him that his mother wears army boots

likes Toddkaz better than Deluca

I hate to agree with deluca, but I will today.

Aren't I nice?

I feel Briere has been a tad hypocritical and it will not look good on him if he is indeed the only case they have.

I feel he is a good player and like him a lot, but I also feel he is very replaceable. Also, in my world, Drury is the Captain and I'm sure everyone else would agree he should be the sole Captain and that they should quit this double duty stuff. Make Briere an A if you want.

The team didn't skip a beat without him, so he is replaceable. The team did not do near as well with Connolly out. Nor with Hecht out. So he can be moved for other important parts. He's an asset and Buffalo should treat him as such.

If he were moved and we got Brendan Morrison out of Vancouver he'd fit in very nicely. A solid number 2 center (he's not a #1) that has wheels. He's gritty too and hasn't missed a game since forever. He did play last year injured and probably should have put his iron man streak aside, but players sometimes let their pride get in the way.

Anyway, I'm interested to see how this plays out but I won't cry if Briere does in fact leave. It is what it is and that's that.

The team didn't skip a beat without him, so he is replaceable. The team did not do near as well with Connolly out. Nor with Hecht out. So he can be moved for other important parts. He's an asset and Buffalo should treat him as such.

The team didn't skip a beat without Miller either, does that mean he is not important to the team?

Or maybe the team knew that missing Briere was a big hit to the team so they reallt stepped it up together without him?

I agree with DeLuca to a point. I don't think Briere lifts right out of this team and it just keeps rolling ... I think he IS a big part.

But I don't think he is so much bigger than the team that they should blow salary structure up to keep him happy. If he had signed a long-term deal at $5 million per, I think we swallow hard and make it work. But now $5 million is the STARTING POINT, so it is reasonable to assume any long-term deal will have to average more like $6M ... That's a lot, even if they are going to spend to the cap, because Drury and Miller are going to deserve big bucks after next season also.

I also agree he is a bit hypocritical if he turned down a $4.5M/year long-term deal as reported. He sounded off about keeping it together and putting up the cash to win, and every day another guy gets signed .... and he is the one who is the big question mark. Does he have a right to take the most money he can for his family? Absolutely. But the team has a right to try to keep the team together like HE asked for, and he did not do his part. He took the route that got him the most cash now AND got him to UFA the fastest. And again, that's his right, but get off your soapbox and don't criticize the organization that gave you your big shot after Phoenix gave up on you.

Really? How do you suggest the Sabres do that? Let me guess. Tom Golisano should just keep pouring his own money into the team and take year after year of losses.

What did Briere do? He opened his mouth and inserted his skate. He came out talking about keeping the team together and about the Sabres desire to win. When it came time for to back up those words? He went for the cash. Good for him. <_<

The team didn't skip a beat without Miller either, does that mean he is not important to the team?

Or maybe the team knew that missing Briere was a big hit to the team so they reallt stepped it up together without him?

Or maybe Briere is just another dime a dozen oneway player this team doesn't need?

It is funny because Briere was the only one coming out and talked about keeping the team togethor. However, when it came down to it he may be the only one that actually took the team to arbitration and the only one that solely looked out for only number one. Briere apparently is a great ass talker and his teamates are the ones that care about sticking togethor. It would be poetic justice if he had a bad year somewhere else and gets nowhere near 4.5 million next year when he is an unrestricteed free agent.

With all that said I wish there was a way to keep him longterm, and I would have been happy with a 5 for 5 year deal. In the end both sides are to blame. What erks me is the way he talked about keeping the team togethor and then didn't make any compromises with the managment. Also as others have said, for 5 million for one year, he can probably be reasonably replaced for a cheaper price. Too bad though, I really liked Danny.

Each day you seem to take your reputation on this board to a new low. How the hell can you possibly blame Briere for anything? Who cares what he supposedly said. What people say and what they do are two different things. It's not like he picked $5 million. He has to know that he isn't worth that...but thats what the ARBITRATOR ruled and so that's the way it is. I didn't know you were a better person than him and would simply refuse a raise at your job. Get real.

Hockey is a business and I support the players getting what they can. I know they are overpaid in our eyes, but that's the way it is with pro sports. An owner/management would be just as quick to trade or cut a player, so I really have no sympathy for them either. It works both ways.

One other thing, for the person who said "you don't see Drury flapping his mouth" or something to that effect....of course you don't, because when he came to Buffalo, management had no problem throwing money at him like he was the messiah or something. And a 4-year deal on top of it.

Each day you seem to take your reputation on this board to a new low. How the hell can you possibly blame Briere for anything? Who cares what he supposedly said. What people say and what they do are two different things. It's not like he picked $5 million. He has to know that he isn't worth that...but thats what the ARBITRATOR ruled and so that's the way it is. I didn't know you were a better person than him and would simply refuse a raise at your job. Get real.

Hockey is a business and I support the players getting what they can. I know they are overpaid in our eyes, but that's the way it is with pro sports. An owner/management would be just as quick to trade or cut a player, so I really have no sympathy for them either. It works both ways.

One other thing, for the person who said "you don't see Drury flapping his mouth" or something to that effect....of course you don't, because when he came to Buffalo, management had no problem throwing money at him like he was the messiah or something. And a 4-year deal on top of it.

I have to go with DeLuca on this one.

First off, arbiters decide the amount after hearing all the arguements from both sides. Each side picks a dollar amount as well for the supposed worth of the player and the arbiter normally picks an amount between the two amounts. If that is true, that would mean that Briere picked an amount that was $5 million or higher.

I sincerely doubt that an arbiter would pick an amount higher than both sides submitted. The team says $3 million, Briere says $4 million and the arbiter awards $5 million? I don't think so.

Therefore, Briere has to believe he is worth $5 million or more. I have no problem with that at all. But his statements made before any contract negotiation took place about management's commitment to winning and keeping the team together and in place should never have been said if he believed that was his worth. As Deluca (correctly) pointed out, he has to know Buffalo cannot afford a $5 million player. To make those comments thinking your own worth to be $5 million was a "foot in mouth" move for Briere.

Now I ask Dave (or anyone else that knoews), if an arbitor came back with a decision that was higher than both sides asked for, what can a team or player do about signing for less? I find it highly unlikely, since arbiters are allegedly neutral, but what if the guy is a Ottawa or Leafs ([sic]) fan and thinks the Sabres are less of a threat with being unable to sign a team leader? Is there anything in place to challenge arbiter rulings?

I have to go with DeLuca on this one.

First off, arbiters decide the amount after hearing all the arguements from both sides. Each side picks a dollar amount as well for the supposed worth of the player and the arbiter normally picks an amount between the two amounts. If that is true, that would mean that Briere picked an amount that was $5 million or higher.

I sincerely doubt that an arbiter would pick an amount higher than both sides submitted. The team says $3 million, Briere says $4 million and the arbiter awards $5 million? I don't think so.

Therefore, Briere has to believe he is worth $5 million or more. I have no problem with that at all. But his statements made before any contract negotiation took place about management's commitment to winning and keeping the team together and in place should never have been said if he believed that was his worth. As Deluca (correctly) pointed out, he has to know Buffalo cannot afford a $5 million player. To make those comments thinking your own worth to be $5 million was a "foot in mouth" move for Briere.

Now I ask Dave (or anyone else that knoews), if an arbitor came back with a decision that was higher than both sides asked for, what can a team or player do about signing for less? I find it highly unlikely, since arbiters are allegedly neutral, but what if the guy is a Ottawa or Leafs ([sic]) fan and thinks the Sabres are less of a threat with being unable to sign a team leader? Is there anything in place to challenge arbiter rulings?

IF the team thinks the player's award is too high, they can walk away from the award which makes the player an UFA. Because the player is a true UFA (unlike under the old CBA where the team had rights of 1st refusal if the player signed a deal with another team for 80% or less of the arbitrator's award, but could not re-sign him for anything over that), AFAIK the player can re-sign with the team that walked away if they can reach a deal after the team walked away.

So, technically, it appears that a team and player can agree to have the team walk away from the deal and then negotiate something they think is fair. I can't think of any realistic scenario where I would see this happening.

Other than walking away, there is no way to challenge an Arbitrator's ruling. However, if a team (or player) thinks that they've been wronged by a particular Arbitrator, they can ask the league or union to have that individual replaced from the list of 8 Arbitrators for the next season. Because any Arbitrator would be committing career suicide by intentionally screwing a team or player over, I don't see it happening. Arbitrators get replaced for reasons far pettier than gross malfeasance, I honestly can't see one being dumb enough to do something that is clearly unethical and most probably illegal.

Archived