Breaking news -- Brian Campbell signs multi-year deal

nfreeman

I like it ... he had a good year and I think really grew up even more in the playoffs. Given how expensive defensemen are getting, Campbell might have been out of our price range when he hit the market after next season ... will be interesting to see what they paid him but on the surface I like locking him up for a few years.

I like it ... he had a good year and I think really grew up even more in the playoffs. Given how expensive defensemen are getting, Campbell might have been out of our price range when he hit the market after next season ... will be interesting to see what they paid him but on the surface I like locking him up for a few years.

I agree, he really developed a lot in the playoffs.

Great news. I'm glad to see hopeles and nfreeman are acting like fans. They love the move without having a clue what it cost the Sabres. What if Soupy's getting $3 million a year?

the expectation is that the cost will be reasonable based upon past organizational moves.

Great news. I'm glad to see hopeles and nfreeman are acting like fans. They love the move without having a clue what it cost the Sabres. What if Soupy's getting $3 million a year?

OK, Mr. Grouch, I will admit that if we are overpaying for Soupy I will be disappointed. I predict that the agreement is for 3 yrs and between $5.25 million and $6.25 million. At those numbers, I'm happy. I think Campbell is a legit top 4 defenseman (which I'm still amazed to see myself write given that a year ago I didn't think he belonged in the league) if the new NHL rules stick and those numbers represent a fair price for him.

Perhaps you'd care to respond with the salary range at which you'd be happy with this deal?

Go Sabres.

PS: isn't your handle "PASabreFan?"

$3 a year might be good. If he is making $3 3 years from now that might be a bargain then the way salaries are escalating

he is restricted and only made 459,000 last year... I'm sure he got a raise but I don't think he tripled his base salary for next year... I'll bet he signed for around 800,000 for next year and then raises again the next two, probably like 1.3-1.5 mil. and then up to 1.8-2 mil.

just guessing of course, and I could be way off... but I highly doubt Darcy would give a raise of 3X the current amount, if he sets that trend, he will be expected to pay Briere, Max, Dumont, etc... 3 mil per year and I don't think he wants to set that trend....

ps. I love that we signed him for a few years... love how he "grew up". ... can't wait for October!!!!!!

You never cease to amaze me.

Thank you.

Perhaps my comment was misinterpreted. I'm not complaining about the signing. I'm just wondering why you guys who are so careful with Tom Golisano's money don't wait to hear what Campbell is making before you say how much you like the deal. Just seems odd.

nfreeman, I'm not sure I understand your challenging of my fandom. I'm not sure I want to understand, so don't bother with a reply. I love the Campbell resigning for multiple years, and I don't really care what he's making, and apparently neither do you, so we're all in agreement.

By the way, a great move for the NHL and its players association would be to ban all disclosure of salary information, so we could once and for all shut down the rinky dink fantasy GM operations on boards like this. Whose business is it anyway?

By the way, a great move for the NHL and its players association would be to ban all disclosure of salary information, so we could once and for all shut down the rinky dink fantasy GM operations on boards like this. Who's business is it anyway?

It's not anybody's business, but do you really think that would stop people from playing fantasy GM? We have morons suggesting that Regier should go trade Peters and Pyatt for players of real value as if it were that easy. If we didn't know anyone's salary people would be bitching even more than they already do that the payroll is too low.

Besides, having the salaries out there is a double-edged sword ... the players can complain about it but you can bet Danny Briere is loving the fact everyone knows how much Spacek and Drury make. It gives him a ton of leverage because it would be a PR disaster if talks broke off ... fans are flip out if they don't pay Briere after what they gave Spacek.

Anothe thread has it at $1.25 M this year, $1.75 M next year ... if so looks like TM8-PL16 was pretty close ... That's a pretty good deal for the Sabres, 1/2 as much as they are paying Numminen and less than half of Spacek.

Thank you.

Perhaps my comment was misinterpreted. I'm not complaining about the signing. I'm just wondering why you guys who are so careful with Tom Golisano's money don't wait to hear what Campbell is making before you say how much you like the deal. Just seems odd.

nfreeman, I'm not sure I understand your challenging of my fandom. I'm not sure I want to understand, so don't bother with a reply. I love the Campbell resigning for multiple years, and I don't really care what he's making, and apparently neither do you, so we're all in agreement.

By the way, a great move for the NHL and its players association would be to ban all disclosure of salary information, so we could once and for all shut down the rinky dink fantasy GM operations on boards like this. Whose business is it anyway?

PA, unlike you, I don't go on the assumption that everyone else in the world is inept. I figured we got a good deal for Campbell, and until I read otherwise I would go with that assumption.

I find it funny that as fans we shouldn't be worried about how much a team is paying for players. Are you telling me a Devils fan shouldn't be concerned right now? Sure they brought back all of their big name guys, but they are at the salary cap with nowhere near a full roster.

Thank you.

Geez. All I said was "all signs are very positive". I also said I would be disappointed if I found out they overpaid. As far as challenging your fandom, that was not my intention -- I was merely responding to your remark about me acting like a fan -- ie you are a fan too, right? aren't we all?

Also, if there was no disclosure of salary info, what the heck would we talk about all summer? In any case I'm glad you like the soupy signing.

In this regard, I just heard WGR report that it's a 2-year deal, with each year for "over $1 million". Not much info there, but enough for me to feel comfortable that we didn't overpay.

Go Sabres.

WTF...Doesn't this board exist so that fans can express their opinion on the Sabres? Nobody professes to having GM or ownership experience, but why should that stop someone from stating their opinion. Isn't that part of being a fan? <_<

the more I'm thinking about it, I think this is a real good situation. If Campbell has another good year and again proves that he is solid and going to be worth $$, we can re-do his deal after next year and give him some money that we will save if/when Teppo retires. Re-signing him before he actually becomes a UFA will save us a little $ while still giving Campbell what he wants and will deserve. The key is doing this before he becomes a UFA. I think this is possible and who knows, Darcy might have said, we want a long term deal and you want more money... how about we do a 2 year small increase and if things work out, we redo this deal again for big cash and 3+ years after next year.

I'm not explaining that well... does anyone understand what I mean?

hopeles and nfreeman, would one of you please change your avatar? I feel like I'm debating the Olson Twins here. :)

I've been thinking of doing exactly that...can anyone point me to a good sabres avatar gallery?

Archived