Not Thrilled Yet

BamBam

Again, your reasoning is suspect. They needed Biron for 21 wins last season, when Miller went down. If he goes down again, who do you want to see in net for the Sabres, Sean Burke?

Miller barely weighs 160 lbs, he's going to wear down at points during the season. Buffalo is going to need a backup to play 20-25 games this season.

If the Sabres keep Biron through to the trading deadline, they'll have a strong backup for Miller for 3/4ths of the season. If Miller is healthy and ready to go in March, they can trade Biron, and include the other team's backup goalie in the deal, before giving the reigns over to Miller.

And Biron is only making about 100 grand more than he did last year. With the Sabres willing to increase their payroll 5 or 6 million dollars, Biron's salary is not an excessive burden for what he brings to the team.

There is no way we can keep a backup goalie for that much money. That is simply outrageous. And its interesting to me how some people on this board, who commend Regeir for working within "a tight budget" actually condone him keeping an expensive backup....especially with 12 of our players filing for arbitration today.

Yes, we are going to need a backup at some point, obviously. Every team needs one. But if you are dedicated to having Miller as your number one, how can you say "oh he'll wear down so we need another great goalie." All goalies get injured, it just happens, but just because he's 160 lbs doesn't mean he will suddenly crumble...it's not like he is getting body checked every night or something. I get what you're trying to say, but I don't see why we can't grab a veteran backup and swing a deal so we can get another defenseman in here. I still think we lack a physical presence on the blueline, especially with McKee gone....that needs to be addressed.

I still think we lack a physical presence on the blueline, especially with McKee gone....that needs to be addressed.

Which one of these guys is going to sit?

Tallinder, Lydman, Spacek, Campbell, Numminen, Kalinen

I'll tell you who. None of them. If you are proposing to bring in a heavy weight to be our seventh dman, I have no problem with that but he shouldn't be looked at to crack the top 6.

What about Mike Dunham as a back up? He's a decent goaltender and a free agent. Martin Prusek is also a free agent who could make a good backup. I'm not sure about their current salaries but I'd bet they would be seeking a reasonably priced contract. While I do think that the well might be a bit drier than it was, I trust Darcy's decision-making and think the goaltending situation with Marty will get resolved...we just gotta be patient for the right deal to come along that will improve the team rather than us giving up too much without getting the return we deserve on Marty.

There is no way we can keep a backup goalie for that much money. That is simply outrageous. And its interesting to me how some people on this board, who commend Regeir for working within "a tight budget" actually condone him keeping an expensive backup....especially with 12 of our players filing for arbitration today.

Yes, we are going to need a backup at some point, obviously. Every team needs one. But if you are dedicated to having Miller as your number one, how can you say "oh he'll wear down so we need another great goalie." All goalies get injured, it just happens, but just because he's 160 lbs doesn't mean he will suddenly crumble...it's not like he is getting body checked every night or something. I get what you're trying to say, but I don't see why we can't grab a veteran backup and swing a deal so we can get another defenseman in here. I still think we lack a physical presence on the blueline, especially with McKee gone....that needs to be addressed.

As much as we are paying Spacek, Numminem, and then Afinigonov and Briere in arbitration, and after working Miller's contract up, there is no way the sabres plan on keeping Biron as a back-up this year. It completely goes against the we-can-go-out-to-eat-but-no-dessert budget that Regier claims to abide by.

I think we are good on the blue-line, physically too. At 5-10, 204 Spacek is a solid guy, and Tallinder played with a lot of grit last year. If Tallinder can cut down on the little mistakes and turnovers I see him filling part of McKee's role and this years defense corps looking a lot like last years. If Kalinan stays healthy and can get back into the game then I think we will have a very offensive, fast, and overall dangerous blue line.

I guess I don't see why everyone is thrilled with the Spacek signing. Yeah, we needed bodies back there but at this price? For someone thats 32? We already have old D-Men. I thought this team was about its youth.

I am someone who has gone off on Darcy quite a bit over the past week, but how can you criticisze Darcy for this move?? So what if Spacek is 32? Is that retirement age in the NHL? hardly.

Did you watch Spacek in the playoffs last year for Edmonton? 14 pts in 24 games and he played very good defense. Spacek has been on some HORRID teams over the years....he has talent, is very good on the PP.

With the Sabres, I would not be suprised to see Spacek hit 40-50 points in his sleep.

Which one of these guys is going to sit?

Tallinder, Lydman, Spacek, Campbell, Numminen, Kalinen

I'll tell you who. None of them. If you are proposing to bring in a heavy weight to be our seventh dman, I have no problem with that but he shouldn't be looked at to crack the top 6.

I also feel that we are somewhat lacking in terms of a physical presence on the blueline, but short of a trade where one dman and another player/prospect goes out and another dman comes in, your solution will have to do.

I also feel that we are somewhat lacking in terms of a physical presence on the blueline, but short of a trade where one dman and another player/prospect goes out and another dman comes in, your solution will have to do.

Lacking, sure but not completely void of physical play. Lydman and Kalinen will bang when needed. Mckee was a decent hitter but he usually took just as much of the punishment as he dished. He wasn't like a Chara or Hatcher who murdered people in front of the net and in the corners but we saw how those trees fared agaisnt our speedy skaters.

If teams start running Ryan a lot next year, without the league properly addressing it, then lets go get Marchment/Gauthier/insert thug dman here. Until then I'll be happy with our boys. :D

I am someone who has gone off on Darcy quite a bit over the past week, but how can you criticisze Darcy for this move?? So what if Spacek is 32? Is that retirement age in the NHL? hardly.

Did you watch Spacek in the playoffs last year for Edmonton? 14 pts in 24 games and he played very good defense. Spacek has been on some HORRID teams over the years....he has talent, is very good on the PP.

With the Sabres, I would not be suprised to see Spacek hit 40-50 points in his sleep.

The signing of spacek is what it is. All I'm saying is that this is a good signing, but it shouldn't be the only one we make. There is a reason that this guy was still out there after the first couple of days in FA. Darcy had to overpay to get Spacek because he didn't think there was going to be such a big emphasis on D-Man during Free Agency. So for him being wrong the team...and fans will now suffer because of it.

Darcy knew this team was weak at defense. He shoud've had 5-6 guys lined up ready to go when the FA period hit.

At the end of the day lets be real here...Teppo is no spring chicken and yet we have a ton of $$$ invested in him. Now we sign a 32 year old for more big $$$$ as well. I thought this team was about youth. Who is going to play when Teppo goes down? And while Teppo is down Talinder gets hurt...who do we play then? This team is bare bones at this position and thinking Nathen and the other young guys will be able to step in is not wise.

There's something to be said about having a veteran presence on the ice and in the the locker room. How many times did Teppo make an easy move to avoid the forecheck and then quickly move the play up ice.

I think everyone is a little to sensitive about the injury debacle in the playoffs. Losing 4 D-man is crazy, not something that you build your team based on.

Who is going to play when Teppo goes down? And while Teppo is down Talinder gets hurt...who do we play then? This team is bare bones at this position and thinking Nathen and the other young guys will be able to step in is not wise.

Then what if Kalinin gets injured, oh and then Campbell, oh and wait Lydman... oh no and Spacek.... I think you are over analyzing this, just a bit.

At the end of the day lets be real here...Teppo is no spring chicken and yet we have a ton of $$$ invested in him. Now we sign a 32 year old for more big $$$$ as well. I thought this team was about youth. Who is going to play when Teppo goes down? And while Teppo is down Talinder gets hurt...who do we play then? This team is bare bones at this position and thinking Nathen and the other young guys will be able to step in is not wise.

So we need to have nine NHL proven dman all under 30 on our roster?

This team is bare bones at this position and thinking Nathen and the other young guys will be able to step in is not wise.

Bare bones? Quickly now, what team has a better 1-6 on D than the Sabres?

You need to put that statement in context.

Or do you mean we don't have a #7 defenseman?

Bare bones? Quickly now, what team has a better 1-6 on D than the Sabres?

You need to put that statement in context.

Or do you mean we don't have a #7 defenseman?

This is a reply to the last 3 posts. All I am saying is that our Defense is not as strong as it was last season. Thats a fact. Spacek is good, but when Healthy our core was strong.

Now we advance to the offseason. Out oldest D-man and up until yesterday or highest paid as well goes in for heart surgury. Do we really think that he is going to play 75% of the games next year? Heart problems, nagging injuries, and old age will not allow it. Taking that into consideration and knowing how some of our D-man seem to be injury prone are we saying that right now we have enough to sustain 2-3 of these guys being out of the line-up for any period of time?

When I answer that question I say no. This team is not prepared for that. We are loosing depth in an area that already was a weak spot. How good would Leopold look on this team....along with Spacek too. You mean to tell me that we couldn't of sent Calgary Dumot, or Kotalik, or Max for Leopold. The Flames have an abundance of D-Man.

Bottom line is that Darcy is not willing to trade from our strenghs (Fwds and Goaltending) because he knows that he really doesn't have anyone under contract. So as the summer moves on, and while other teams make the moves they need to we will be heading into camp with maybe 65-75% of our guys signed. Now where are we strong???

This is a reply to the last 3 posts. All I am saying is that our Defense is not as strong as it was last season. Thats a fact. Spacek is good, but when Healthy our core was strong.

Now we advance to the offseason. Out oldest D-man and up until yesterday or highest paid as well goes in for heart surgury. Do we really think that he is going to play 75% of the games next year? Heart problems, nagging injuries, and old age will not allow it. Taking that into consideration and knowing how some of our D-man seem to be injury prone are we saying that right now we have enough to sustain 2-3 of these guys being out of the line-up for any period of time?

When I answer that question I say no. This team is not prepared for that. We are loosing depth in an area that already was a weak spot. How good would Leopold look on this team....along with Spacek too. You mean to tell me that we couldn't of sent Calgary Dumot, or Kotalik, or Max for Leopold. The Flames have an abundance of D-Man.

Bottom line is that Darcy is not willing to trade from our strenghs (Fwds and Goaltending) because he knows that he really doesn't have anyone under contract. So as the summer moves on, and while other teams make the moves they need to we will be heading into camp with maybe 65-75% of our guys signed. Now where are we strong???

If you were Calgary and had the choice of Dumont, Kotalik, Max, or Tanguay for Leopold, which would you prefer?

I like the Sabres, but honestly, IMHO although the stats are similar, Tanguay is much better than any of those 3 guys.

The signing of spacek is what it is. All I'm saying is that this is a good signing, but it shouldn't be the only one we make. There is a reason that this guy was still out there after the first couple of days in FA. Darcy had to overpay to get Spacek because he didn't think there was going to be such a big emphasis on D-Man during Free Agency. So for him being wrong the team...and fans will now suffer because of it.

Darcy knew this team was weak at defense. He shoud've had 5-6 guys lined up ready to go when the FA period hit.

Wait...when Teppo goes down? How do we know that? Because he had heart surgery and it was a routine procedure?

Listen I understand what you mean...but you can say the same thing about so many other teams...

What if the Devils lost Brodeur?

What if the Canes lose Staal?

What if's will drive you to drink. Sabres can sign all the young players they want and stock up, but noone can predict the future.

Spacek is 32, it is not like the Sabres signed a 44 year old Chris Chelois here.

If you were Calgary and had the choice of Dumont, Kotalik, Max, or Tanguay for Leopold, which would you prefer?

I like the Sabres, but honestly, IMHO although the stats are similar, Tanguay is much better than any of those 3 guys.

Exactly ...

BamBam, I think everyone on this board would LOVE another defenseman ... no one would say it wouldn't help ... but it's just like how every team in baseball wants another pitcher ...it's easy to say "Why not just trade this guy or that guy for so and so ... but it takes two to tango, and like Dave says if a Tanguay is available why settle for a Max or a Kotalik? And while it would be nice to have signed another one, there IS still a budget to consider and a bunch of forwards due raises ....

Personally, while I recognize this team could still get better, so far we have basically traded McKee for Spacek and saved a little cash ... not so stinkin' bad.

Personally, while I recognize this team could still get better, so far we have basically traded McKee for Spacek and saved a little cash ... not so stinkin' bad.

Not bad at all.

And I was LIVID when Mckee signed elsewhere and he will still be hard to replace...but if anyone watched the playoffs last year, should realize that Spacek is a very solid d-man when playing with a better team around him.

No way did I envision Darcy going out and signing a guy like Spacek, so that totally changed my view on him and the team.

Not bad at all.

And I was LIVID when Mckee signed elsewhere and he will still be hard to replace...but if anyone watched the playoffs last year, should realize that Spacek is a very solid d-man when playing with a better team around him.

Not to mention how well he will fit into our system.

Not to mention how well he will fit into our system.

And also know the Sabres do not have to feel the pressure to deal Biron JUST for a d-man...or feel they have to deal Kotalik or max for d-help too. The Spacek signing was huge.

Could the Sabres use another d-man? Sure, but they do not have to sign another d-man on the caliber of McKee or Spacek to fill that need.

I can't imagine why anyone thinks Darcy HAS to trade Biron this year. It was obvious LAST year that one goalie HAD to go, and trading the cheapest didn't seem logical at all - but they waited until the deadline to move and it was the cheapest. Clearly money is NOT an issue with this team in GOAL. If someone makes a good offer for Biron, great. If not and we keep him for a back-up, great. I was one that thought last year Biron had to be the one moved, to make room for a D-man, "star forward" whatever- but it never happened and it all worked out OK. Why do we have to treat the goalie situation different this year? If we "need" to trade Biron, why did we trade Noronen so late last year? Why did we let the guy we got from Chicago go this year?

I can't imagine why anyone thinks Darcy HAS to trade Biron this year. It was obvious LAST year that one goalie HAD to go, and trading the cheapest didn't seem logical at all - but they waited until the deadline to move and it was the cheapest. Clearly money is NOT an issue with this team in GOAL. If someone makes a good offer for Biron, great. If not and we keep him for a back-up, great. I was one that thought last year Biron had to be the one moved, to make room for a D-man, "star forward" whatever- but it never happened and it all worked out OK. Why do we have to treat the goalie situation different this year? If we "need" to trade Biron, why did we trade Noronen so late last year? Why did we let the guy we got from Chicago go this year?

I agree completely, however Biron wants out now, and that will not help the lockeroom come october if he is still in a Sabres Jersey.

Does anyone here honestly thing that Darcy is going to let us go into the playoffs with just 6 NHL-Level defensemen again? I don't think so; not after what happened this past spring.

He'll make a trade at the deadline, probably giving up Biron if he's still here, for another quality d-man, perhaps even a superstar coming to the end of his contract. That way, we won't have to pay him very much, and if he agrees to sign here as a UFA after we've won the Cup, well great then!

In the meantime, Paetsch can come up and play whenever one of our regular 6 gets injured, so Paetsch will be more ready to step in if 2 guys go down in the playoffs.

I really liked what I saw from Paetsch in that one game he played in.

I completely agree -- if the right deal isn't there for Marty, we'll keep him. He's an excellent backup goalie and this team is too good to take a chance on throwing away a shot at a cup in the event we lose Miller again to injury for a couple of months.

the main reason I see for trading marty is to free up his salary for use in locking up Briere, Tallinder, etc.

Does anyone here honestly thing that Darcy is going to let us go into the playoffs with just 6 NHL-Level defensemen again? I don't think so; not after what happened this past spring.

He'll make a trade at the deadline, probably giving up Biron if he's still here, for another quality d-man, perhaps even a superstar coming to the end of his contract. That way, we won't have to pay him very much, and if he agrees to sign here as a UFA after we've won the Cup, well great then!

In the meantime, Paetsch can come up and play whenever one of our regular 6 gets injured, so Paetsch will be more ready to step in if 2 guys go down in the playoffs.

I really liked what I saw from Paetsch in that one game he played in.

Excellent point, esp. as regards Teppo. I'm really glad he's back, but we can't assume he's going to be 100% available, esp. late in the season and the playoffs after 90+ games of wear and tear.

Unless Paetsch really steps up and makes everyone comfortable that he's ready to play a regular shift in the playoffs (which would be a pretty surprising development), I think Darcy will find us another defenseman at some point.

I completely agree -- if the right deal isn't there for Marty, we'll keep him. He's an excellent backup goalie and this team is too good to take a chance on throwing away a shot at a cup in the event we lose Miller again to injury for a couple of months.

the main reason I see for trading marty is to free up his salary for use in locking up Briere, Tallinder, etc.

Excellent point, esp. as regards Teppo. I'm really glad he's back, but we can't assume he's going to be 100% available, esp. late in the season and the playoffs after 90+ games of wear and tear.

Unless Paetsch really steps up and makes everyone comfortable that he's ready to play a regular shift in the playoffs (which would be a pretty surprising development), I think Darcy will find us another defenseman at some point.

All Darcy needs to do, is remember the playoffs last year. As it currently stands, they would be one injury away from having to play Paetsch(who according to some, has became an NHL ready dman based on one playoff game) and two injuries away from using Jillson. :angry:

I believe you will see another dman signed prior to training camp who has NHL experience, but will be okay in the role of the #7 dman. I have confidence in you Darcy. Do the right thing! :)

All Darcy needs to do, is remember the playoffs last year. As it currently stands, they would be one injury away from having to play Paetsch(who according to some, has became an NHL ready dman based on one playoff game) and two injuries away from using Jillson. :angry:

I believe you will see another dman signed prior to training camp who has NHL experience, but will be okay in the role of the #7 dman. I have confidence in you Darcy. Do the right thing! :)

So you think Fitzpatrick will be back. ;)

All Darcy needs to do, is remember the playoffs last year.

Your worst-case scenario holds for every team in the league...no one carries 8 NHL-caliber defensemen. The fact the Sabres experienced a 100-year storm of injuries in the ECF shouldn't alter how the team's constructed.

Archived